Official: Skinner Signs 8 year, $72MM Extension

Brawndo

14 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

This was great. Of course it hand to end with a typo ?

I liked that he mentioned his parents being a big factor in the decision. All this talk of how Skinner is "already" 27, forget sometimes that that's a very young man outside the hockey world. Other things than the most talked about weigh heavily on these kids' minds, and "because Buffalo" can be a very positive thing depending on the individual. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

He basically sums up what it means to live in Buffalo...its a special place and the longer people stay the more they realize it...its hard to know exactly what it is about here but its a real thing and its palpable...it was the thing i missed most when I was living in other places.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Well, there’s no way of knowing how it would’ve worked out if JB had simply decided not to trade ROR.  I don’t think we can just assume that ROR would’ve delivered a strong season as a Sabre this year like he did for STL.  

ROR was one of the “leaders” on a team that finished DFL, and then it sure sounds like he asked for a trade and tried to force the GM’s hand.  I think most GMs would’ve traded him in that situation.  

Yes, but we haven’t gotten any details or authenticated info about him requesting a trade or the Pegulas meddling. Either way, there wasn’t a confirmed need to move him. We just don’t know. 

But add O’Reilly to last year’s roster (and subtract berg, sob, and Thompson, and that’s still a much nicer lineup). It’s all idle speculation, but it’s a nice lineup with Skinner (for Jack) and O’Reilly/Reino for the 2nd. 

The thing is... this year we have to go overpay a FA for a 2C when we already had one who was probably better than we’ll sign. 

And... Skinner thread... now that he’s in the fold, who best fits on that top line this season?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Hmm.  That was nice of Skinner.  Seems like he was somewhat undecided right up until Friday (or so).  The family and Buffalo stuff are warm and happy, but I think it was most important that he pointed out he believes the team can be competitive.  He could have received the big bucks on nearly any team, I wager, so it's not insignificant that he thinks the team has some untapped potential. Okay.

Edited by ...
Gumby.
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, nucci said:

we've been screwed the last 10 years...how does signing a top player screw us?

I would say the majority of long term expensive signings, in the end, turn out “bad”, especially for those that end in their mid to later 30’s. But the vast majority of that time of those long term contracts are not regrettable. 

So most likely the vast majority of time of Skinners contract will not be regrettable. But the last 2-3 years could could could very well be.

So does that automatically = “screwed” Hell no! 

His payment schedule is $5 mil. in year #8. And as the cap continues to climb ... 5 mil. will be much easier to swallow then.

2 hours ago, nucci said:

If he scores 40 goals consistently it's ok but I think he's more likely only a 30 goal scorer and because of his size I have my doubts he'd be a good playoff performer (if we ever get there). I dunno, I mean its good he is signed I guess but him and Eichel are both overpaid at this point for what they've done. Caps go up so who knows down the road but at this point I see a lot of better players around the league making less. 

I'm also not convinced he will give the same level of effort when he's shall we say comfortably secure, as he did in a contract year. If he does, I'll feel much better about it, but at this point for me, it's a question mark. 

4 hours ago, oregelbundet oregelbunden said:

I like the idea you've offered here Neo. How about a step further and think about a complete player and how many points he will have over the 8 years? Where are you drawing the line at that would make you happy that his production is equal to or greater than the contract? 400 points, 450 points, 500 points, 550, 600? If Skinner gives us 500 points over the life of this contract ( I think this is achievable, especially as the team improves over the the next few years that he is in his prime) I would be okay with that, but absolutely expect more from him. Production greater than the value of his contract is the 600 point range for me. I hope he reaches that lofty level by the end of year 6!

All different things, of course. the “what I’d like, what’s possible, and over/under”.  Skinner has 198 assists in 9 years.  He had 23 last year.  He’s averaged 50 pts / year-ish for 9 years.  I’d be very happy with an 8 year run with 200 assists.  Adjusting for the vagaries I mentioned earlier regarding age and injury, I’d set an over under at 200 goals, 170 assists, and 370 points.

He averages about 22 assists per year.  Little math, no science, lotsa gut.

Those numbers seem low if you assume 8 years is 640 games.  I do not see 640 games and I don’t see today’s “anybody” in years 6,7 and 8.

Edited by Neo

10 hours ago, Marchand'sNose said:

Assuming we keep Ristolainen and re-sign McCabe, there's no urgent need to address defense this summer. That $12-14 million you cite needs to go to the far greater needs of a 2C and a top-6 winger.

Sure, cause the D was so good last year right? Face it, we need upgrades top to bottom. D might not be #1 priority but if anyone thinks Montour coming in fixes the D you are dreaming. I'm hoping the new coach can fix Risto, but aside from Dahlin there is nothing to rave about on D. or in goal, or..........etc etc etc. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Sure, cause the D was so good last year right? Face it, we need upgrades top to bottom. D might not be #1 priority but if anyone thinks Montour coming in fixes the D you are dreaming. I'm hoping the new coach can fix Risto, but aside from Dahlin there is nothing to rave about on D. or in goal, or..........etc etc etc. 

I do not disagree with your assessment here. But...………..

Risto at 5.4 mil for 3 more seasons, given his point production, is, in my opinion, a worthy offensive D man. I would prefer they get a shutdown LD to ride with him on the 2nd pairing. Who that might be and what it would cost to get him is a conversation worth having maybe, no?

Also, while we are discussing D, RHD's Risto, Bogosain, Montour, Nelson, LHD's Dahlin, Scandella, McCabe, Hunwick, (Pilut down in the AHL as of now)

There are of course a couple of 21/22 yr olds in the AHL that may show a push, we just never truly know.

But, when I look at those listed that have actually played more than a handful of NHL games, and this is just my take is all, but Scandella and Hunwick would appear to me in any event, to be the odd men out. Leaving an opportunity to hunt down a shutdown LHD to partner with Risto.

I am not overly familiar with players reportedly available such as Trouba or Ceci or Honka, but here is a list I found that may provide the type of D man/D men we could possibly need.

Off this list, who interests you, and why?

UFA

Erik Karlsson
Tyler Myers
Anton Stralman
Adam Mcquaid
Derick England
Ben Lovejoy
Dan Girardi
Luke schenn

RFA

Jacob Trouba
Cody Ceci
Neal Pionk
Julius Honka

Rumoured

P.K. Subban
Ryan ellis
Rasmus Ristolanien
TJ Brodie?? (LHD plays right side)
Matt Benning
Kevin Shattenkirk
Colin Miller
Nikita Zaitsev
Jared Spurgeron
Eric Johnson
Travis Hamonic
Kevan Miller
Chris Tanev
Jeff Petry
Jason Demers

UFA

Alex Pietrangelo
Justin Shultz
Tyson Barrie
Jared Spurgeron
Justin Faulk
Travis Hamonic
TJ Brodie?? (LHD plays right side)
Justin Braun
Sami Vantenen
Radko Gudas
Mike Green
Trevor Van Remsdyck
Dylan Demolo

Edited by Scottysabres

15 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Careful boys.  In a couple of months he'll show up at 3:00 AM and start yelling at you for these. 

Well, to be fair, he'll show up at 3am and hint at an upcoming rant and then when the time comes he'll forget his password or something.

14 hours ago, nucci said:

Because some people believe that the Sabres could go out and get a Jeff Skinner for less money on the free agent market.  Or they believe that every situation that has ever happened in hockey that worked out favorably for another team should have happened to Buffalo.

Mostly, it's because people just want to be miserable.  Let them be that way.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

On 6/7/2019 at 10:26 PM, Neo said:

Over/Under ....  200 goals during the contract?

No criticism of JBot or today, but I’ll take under.

Under. I'm seeing the next Drew Stafford here. He will have 16 goals next year, doesn't kill penalties, doesn't hit and is showing that having a good contract year works. 

I hope i am wrong, but I also hope it doesn't matter. 

The real solution will be finding the good young players coming into the organization. I feel JBott really felt the squeeze from the ROR unfolding disaster of a trade and couldn't let Skinner walk. Damn, ROR is cheaper by 2mill a year?!? Ouch again! 

Just now, bob_sauve28 said:

Under. I'm seeing the next Drew Stafford here. He will have 16 goals next year, doesn't kill penalties, doesn't hit and is showing that having a good contract year works. 

The real solution will be finding the good young players coming into the organization. I feel JBott really felt the squeeze from the ROR unfolding disaster of a trade and couldn't let Skinner walk. Damn, ROR is cheaper by 2mill a year?!? Ouch again! 

If ROR was on the market this off-season what do you think he'd sign for?  It's not really appropriate to look at a guy who signed a contract a few years ago and compare it to someone signing now.

You have to take into account more of the variables at play when the contracts were signed.  Well, you don't have to, but when you choose to ignore them that's called bias.

12 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

If he scores 40 goals consistently it's ok but I think he's more likely only a 30 goal scorer and because of his size I have my doubts he'd be a good playoff performer (if we ever get there). I dunno, I mean its good he is signed I guess but him and Eichel are both overpaid at this point for what they've done. Caps go up so who knows down the road but at this point I see a lot of better players around the league making less. 

I'm also not convinced he will give the same level of effort when he's shall we say comfortably secure, as he did in a contract year. If he does, I'll feel much better about it, but at this point for me, it's a question mark. 

I hope you are right, but I totally disagree. I'm expecting a big fall off in production from Skinner. 

1 minute ago, LTS said:

If ROR was on the market this off-season what do you think he'd sign for?  It's not really appropriate to look at a guy who signed a contract a few years ago and compare it to someone signing now.

You have to take into account more of the variables at play when the contracts were signed.  Well, you don't have to, but when you choose to ignore them that's called bias.

Damn right I'm biased! Not at the players, but by history. We have been burned so often, this just looks like a repeat to me. 

Again, I hope I am wrong. But if this season goes bad, again, and Skinner scores 16 goals, JBott is gone

Just now, bob_sauve28 said:

Damn right I'm biased! Not at the players, but by history. We have been burned so often, this just looks like a repeat to me. 

Again, I hope I am wrong. But if this season goes bad, again, and Skinner scores 16 goals, JBott is gone

So, what's the right play?  Should he have let Skinner walk? 

If he does that, how does he improve the team for next year so he can appease the fans, like you, who demand results now?

13 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Ror is cheaper by 1.5 mil on a contract signed 4 years ago. We should not have to explain this each off season that salary goes up. 

That said, 16 goals huh? I'll take that bet. I'll actually give you 20 or less you win, 21 or more I win. Minimum 60 games played. 

2 minutes ago, LTS said:

If he does that, how does he improve the team for next year so he can appease the fans, like you, who demand results now?

For a bunch of people in here bitching, this was always a Kobayashi Maru. 

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Ror is cheaper by 1.5 mil on a contract signed 4 years ago. We should not have to explain this each off season that salary goes up. 

That said, 16 goals huh? I'll take that bet. I'll actually give you 20 or less you win, 21 or more I win. Minimum 60 games played. 

For a bunch of people in here bitching, this was always a Kobayashi Maru. 

The point isn't about when they signed the contract, its that we had ROR under contract AND for fewer years to go. This millstone we just placed around our neck for the next decade will, I believe, damage the franchise, cost us salary flexibility and not make us much better. Again, I do hope I'm wrong 

24 minutes ago, LTS said:

Am I demanding results now? Where did I ever say anything like that? I'm allowed to dislike this, right? 

The tough call call would have been letting him walk and signing someone else cheaper, make a trade or something. ROR about to win the cup simply must have been a factor in this. JBott even said in his Housley firing press conference that we got Skinner because of ROR trade. 

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, bob_sauve28 said:

The point isn't about when they signed the contract, its that we had ROR under contract AND for fewer years to go. This millstone we just placed around our neck for the next decade will, I believe, damage the franchise, cost us salary flexibility and not make us much better. Again, I do hope I'm wrong 

This is a Skinner thread. Not and Eichel thread. Not a Dahlin in 2 years thread. And not a decade contract.

you see, if you claim a big fat contract does that to a franchise, then It does that for all franchises and all big fat contracts. Not just ones a fan labels worthy of the “millstone” description.

Delighted Skinner will remain a Sabre for years to come... but just read his interview reported by AP... For a guy who just signed an 8 yr $72MM contract with Buffalo... sure want him to stop using the pronouns “their” and “they”... and start using the pronouns “our” and “us”... Wake up, Skinner...

Edited by Believer
Addition
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

How do other teams sign their best players to big contracts yet keep winning?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.