Official: Skinner Signs 8 year, $72MM Extension

Brawndo

I took one thing from a WGR quote... 

Skinner - I love it here. I had a great time last year. Was disappointed with the result, but looking at the overall picture, I had a great experience with the team, fans, & the community.

So, you can have a disappointing season and choose to look at the bright side as opposed to wallow about your love of the game?  Interesting.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, LTS said:

So, you can have a disappointing season and choose to look at the bright side as opposed to wallow about your love of the game?  Interesting.

You could also choose to ignore all the fluff and focus on the substance of how effective players are on the ice.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LTS said:

The only answers we will accept are cookie cutter positive ones. Any other thought must be punished.

Plus, some people are just glass half empty folk - doesn't mean they won't try as hard etc.

9 minutes ago, LTS said:

Or maybe losing doesn't bother him so much because he's getting paid. He got plenty of time to get used to it in Carolina.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

You could also choose to ignore all the fluff and focus on the substance of how effective players are on the ice.

I have no idea what you are getting at here.  Sorry.

1 minute ago, Trettioåtta said:

The only answers we will accept are cookie cutter positive ones. Any other thought must be punished.

Plus, some people are just glass half empty folk - doesn't mean they won't try as hard etc.

There are ways to handle situations.  You can choose to dwell on the negative or you can choose to acknowledge that something was bad and then reinforce your desire to improve upon it.

There is a decent amount of research that demonstrates optimists achieve greater results than pessimists.  So, I'm not sure your second statement is true.  Logically, if you start out with a lower bar, you're less likely to fight as hard to overcome it because you've already expected that you can't do it.  I think it's more realistic that a pessimist can be put in a situation to achieve great results but they are less likely to create that situation on their own. 

6 minutes ago, Drunkard said:

Or maybe losing doesn't bother him so much because he's getting paid. He got plenty of time to get used to it in Carolina.

Maybe.. here's Jeff Skinner's quote from locker room clean out day.

For me, when I came here, I obviously knew where the organization finished last season and I was optimistic and positive about sort of the direction the organization is headed," Skinner said. "I don’t think that’s changed. ... I think there is still growth. I think there are still things we can build on and can improve on as players. I think the organization is on a pretty good direction, in my opinion.

No guarantee he was getting paid then.

1 minute ago, LTS said:

There are ways to handle situations.  You can choose to dwell on the negative or you can choose to acknowledge that something was bad and then reinforce your desire to improve upon it.

There is a decent amount of research that demonstrates optimists achieve greater results than pessimists.  So, I'm not sure your second statement is true.  Logically, if you start out with a lower bar, you're less likely to fight as hard to overcome it because you've already expected that you can't do it.  I think it's more realistic that a pessimist can be put in a situation to achieve great results but they are less likely to create that situation on their own. 

Maybe.. here's Jeff Skinner's quote from locker room clean out day.

No guarantee he was getting paid then.

Do you dump all over your boss and company when you are looking for a raise? I don't think most people do. Every player who signs with every team either talks about winning or being part of the group that turns things around. O'Reilly talked about being part of the group to turn things around when he got here. It doesn't strike me as some great character trait. I'm still glad he's signed, even though we'll probably regret the contract in the last few years. That's just the price of unrestricted free agency.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LTS said:

You've made no bones about being glad O'Reilly is gone because of his locker cleanout comments. I'm simply saying what athletes say publicly should be largely ignored when as a general rule, and particularly when their play on the ice completely contradicts their words off it. Skinner just functionally agreed to retire as a Sabre...who cares what he says? His actions said it all. He could have come out and said the same thing O'Reilly said and I wouldn't have cared because his actions matter more.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Drunkard said:

Do you dump all over your boss and company when you are looking for a raise? I don't think most people do. Every player who signs with every team either talks about winning or being part of the group that turns things around. O'Reilly talked about being part of the group to turn things around when he got here. It doesn't strike me as some great character trait. I'm still glad he's signed, even though we'll probably regret the contract in the last few years. That's just the price of unrestricted free agency.

Do you talk about how much you lost your love of hockey if you are looking to stay?  Your point is valid.  But, the counter is that you don't go walking around your place of employment telling the world how much the place makes you regret your career choice either.  That usually ends up with management moving you and lo and behold he was moved. But let's blame management for moving him right?  I'll accept your argument about not dumping on the boss and company if you accept that my point.  I don't see how you can't.

16 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

You've made no bones about being glad O'Reilly is gone because of his locker cleanout comments. I'm simply saying what athletes say publicly should be largely ignored when as a general rule, and particularly when their play on the ice completely contradicts their words off it. Skinner just functionally agreed to retire as a Sabre...who cares what he says? His actions said it all. He could have come out and said the same thing O'Reilly said and I wouldn't have cared because his actions matter more.

You ever work with someone who gets the job done but ***** and complains about everything?  Do you only care about their actions?  After awhile, don't they get under your skin?  For most people, the answer is yes.  For most though, you can ignore them.  Imagine having to travel with that person for much of the year and being forced to be around them all the time.  You only see the games.  We barely see the practices and pretty much never hear about the locker room. A team doesn't just show up on game day and win.

About being glad O'Reilly is gone.  That's not true.  I would much rather he be a Buffalo Sabre.  However, given the "inside" information I have been given about him in the locker room, seeing his Eeyore act at locker room cleanout, and then seeing the Sabres move on from him in a deal that says they were more interested in getting rid of him than what they got in return, I am content that he is not part of the team.  All of it speaks to a person who did not buy in to the team and his teammates.  He is an exceptional hockey player on the ice, but off-ice matters too.

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, LTS said:

Do you talk about how much you lost your love of hockey if you are looking to stay?  Your point is valid.  But, the counter is that you don't go walking around your place of employment telling the world how much the place makes you regret your career choice either.  That usually ends up with management moving you and lo and behold he was moved. But let's blame management for moving him right?  I'll accept your argument about not dumping on the boss and company if you accept that my point.  I don't see how you can't.

You ever work with someone who gets the job done but ***** and complains about everything?  Do you only care about their actions?  After awhile, don't they get under your skin?  For most people, the answer is yes.  For most though, you can ignore them.  Imagine having to travel with that person for much of the year and being forced to be around them all the time.  You only see the games.  We barely see the practices and pretty much never hear about the locker room. A team doesn't just show up on game day and win.

About being glad O'Reilly is gone.  That's not true.  I would much rather he be a Buffalo Sabre.  However, given the "inside" information I have been given about him in the locker room, seeing his Eeyore act at locker room cleanout, and then seeing the Sabres move on from him in a deal that says they were more interested in getting rid of him than what they got in return, I am content that he is not part of the team.  All of it speaks to a person who did not buy in to the team and his teammates.  He is an exceptional hockey player on the ice, but off-ice matters too.

Apparently not. 

9 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Apparently not. 

Go find d4rk's quote elsewhere.  ROR does not change teams.  ROR changes with teams.  The St. Louis team is loaded with veteran leadership.  The Buffalo team needed him to be that leader.  He wasn't.  He was Mopey Dick; whining about his lost love of the game. Yet in January 2019 his team was dead last in the NHL and we heard nothing. Could it be that others in the locker room kept him in the right frame of mind?

It's really not worth discussing because I think at this point there's enough unknown information that people will fall on one of two sides.  It's all good.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, LTS said:

Go find d4rk's quote elsewhere.  ROR does not change teams.  ROR changes with teams.  The St. Louis team is loaded with veteran leadership.  The Buffalo team needed him to be that leader.  He wasn't.  He was Mopey Dick; whining about his lost love of the game. Yet in January 2019 his team was dead last in the NHL and we heard nothing. Could it be that others in the locker room kept him in the right frame of mind?

It's really not worth discussing because I think at this point there's enough unknown information that people will fall on one of two sides.  It's all good.

Yes this.  ROR is an excellent hockey player but he is not a leader.  On a vet team with guys who have been around awhile this is a fine/great player to have.  On a young team trying to figure things out I don't need my vet coming out with 'lost love for the game' *****.  Good for you winning the cup, it just was not the right fit at the right time here unfortunately.

@TrueBlueGED - I love you man, one of my favorite posters actually....but you have to let this ***** go man.  Please.  There is an ROR trade sucked thread specific to this discussion.  It's over with and not healthy to rehash this trade in every thread we have.  I usually don't care but in this instance if we could keep all ROR trade discussion to the appropriate thread that would make our community a better place.  I'm ready to rock and roll with RK;, don't give two shits what Tim Horton's ROR runs into now of days.  Yes, the pro-ROR lovers were right that we should of kept him.   Can we all please move on now.......

• Thanks (+1) 3

On 6/10/2019 at 11:34 AM, tom webster said:

To me Risto and Montour are kind of connected. You either have to believe that one of them is a true number one pairing guy or one has to go. 

Neither of them make sense as a third pairing guy and it’s very unlikely they can be your second pair together.

I don’t think either are true number one pairing guys and I also think Risto has to go. Not a ton of teams have more than one “first pairing defenseman” so I’m fine with Montour sliding into a first pairing.

• Like (+1) 1

One the most successful Sabres defence corps was Lydman/Tallinder/Numminen/McKee/Campbell/Kalinin. Another was Zhitnik/Smehlik/Warrener/McKee/Woolley/Patrick. How about Scoenfeld/Korab/Hajt/Guevremont/Carrier/Fogilin?

No “1s” no “7s” just lots of competent NHL defenceman. Montour and Risto are competent NHL defenceman. We can keep both.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Sounds like a workout nut.

I like the fact that he mixes up his training, tennis, MMA and power (figure) skating along with hockey.

39 minutes ago, dudacek said:

That's great, but what is a reasonable goal total for him to live up to his contract?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.