Official: Skinner Signs 8 year, $72MM Extension

Brawndo

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

More than I wanted them to spend, but ok...

I guess I'm there also.

I am/was at the point where I was OK with him walking for this amount.  Would I take what would come with that....no big time scorer on the Sabres...Skinner probably on a better team and getting farther in the playoffs next year....etc.  Yes, I'd be OK with it if he was getting paid that much.  

However, its done so I'll enjoy watching him play for the team.  Hopefully, the cash is front loaded (even though the cap hit will be the same, a front loaded contract would be easier to dump in later years IF NEEDED), hopefully he'll be a guy who keeps producing well into his early and mid-thirties...and hopefully it does not have a full no-trade clause (sorry if these details are out, I have not had a chance to read every post in this thread so far)

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1

He is an all star and they would not have been able to replace his production with another UFA. They could have gone hard after Karlsson,  who did score 40 in the past and is a centre, but that would have been a long shot.

Work your a$$ off Jeff!

Edited by French Collection

7 hours ago, nfreeman said:

The good hockey talk in your posts that followed these was much better than "look how dumb some people are."

No, it's not calling people stupid. I'm going after the mentality, not the intelligence. People *really* have got to get over their "nothing good can possibly happen to Buffalo woe is us" mentality. How much good hockey talk gets derailed by it? It's annoying to see all the time and I'll continue to call it out for the nonsense it is. 

15 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Honest question: Why wouldn’t CAR pay him like this?

Absence of Pegula bucks? Roster structure?

I believe it had something to do with "the room."

Edited by TrueBlueGED
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Well......it’s done

What I like about it:  
-Jeff Skinner is a Buffalo Sabre.  
-Jeff Skinner wants to be a Buffalo Sabre.
That is important on so many levels. Important for the team and for the fan base.

What I do not like about it:
-The term and the $ are both a little more than ideal, but not terrible and I think that was just the price of business in this instance.
-The full NMC for all 8 years. That could become a big deal at some point.

But hey, Jeff Skinner is a Buffalo Sabre!

Edited by Curtisp5286
  • Like (+1) 1

This was always the risk when the Sabres acquired him.  It had to be exactly the scenario they hoped for as well.

Acquire a guy who has solid 5v5 scoring and pair him with your top talent and watch pucks go in the net.  That's what happened.  If it continues to happen (and naturally that's what everyone is hoping for) then no one is going to complain about his $9M AAV.

It may mean a hard decision down the road, but teams are going to be facing that hard decision both with the impending NHL/NHLPA agreement and the expansion draft for Seattle. Every GM has to prep for that and the potential that comes out of that new agreement.

Bottom line, what's even $1M per year for the Sabres to now have the best odds of improving next year.  If Skinner walked the Sabres would have had to replace him AND find improvement elsewhere.  That would have required some serious UFA signings.

And for those freaking out about Skinner's $9M AAV.  I'm now waiting to see what the UFA period brings and how Skinner's contract looks by comparison.

I'm also glad the Sabres aren't facing a Marner situation.  I'd rather have Skinner's contract than deal with Marner right now.

• Like (+1) 2

I've had a chance to sleep meditate on it in my space egg. The money isn't an issue; the cap will keep rising, especially after the combined effect of the Seattle and Vegas expansions. The only underperforming contract left after this season is Okposo's Moulson's. Money won't be an issue.

The only questions are the ones that only time will tell. Will Skinner produce enough victories/goals to be judged fairly by the fans? Are Eichel and Skinner the players to build an entire roster around (they don't have the Cup playoff experience like Toews/Kane or Crosby/Malkin). (I didn't add Dahlin yet, because difficult to see the future is.)

Thankfully, those questions are the fun ones to answer because we'll get to see it in real time (and sometimes on highlights or skipping ahead on online feeds). Game on.

Edited by DarthEbriate

7 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

I've had a chance to sleep meditate on it in my space egg. The money isn't an issue; the cap will keep rising, especially after the combined effect of the Seattle and Vegas expansions. The only underperforming contract left after this season is Moulson's. Money won't be an issue.

The only questions are the ones that only time will tell. Will Skinner produce enough victories/goals to be judged fairly by the fans? Are Eichel and Skinner the players to build an entire roster around (they don't have the Cup playoff experience like Toews/Kane or Crosby/Malkin). (I didn't add Dahlin yet, because difficult to see the future is.)

Thankfully, those questions are the fun ones to answer because we'll get to see it in real time (and sometimes on highlights or skipping ahead on online feeds). Game on.

You mean Okposo. I'm curious to see how he does under a new coach. 

3 hours ago, Tondas said:

I think there is a way to keep our youngins'.  JBOT must have a plan for this.    But I am intrigued what the return would be for a Risto and Samson as a combination trade.

As it stands, next summer the Sabres have Eichel, Skinner, Okposo, Ristolainen Dahlin and Hutton under contract and about $50 million to spend. It’s a blank canvas.

Botterill may have not done much yet with the team on the ice, but he’s certainly set himself up well under the cap.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.