Official: Skinner Signs 8 year, $72MM Extension

Brawndo

30 minutes ago, #freejame said:

200 more goals puts Skinner roughly at 60th all-time in goals. I have a very hard time believing Jeff Skinner will go down as the 60th best goal scorer in NHL history. 

Really?  That's only 25 a year.  He's here the entire time Eichel is.  I can see 200 over 8.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ogelthorpe said:

Yeah, that worked so well with Vanek. Would rather of had those 4 1st rounders all day. Overpaying a player for the optics is not the way to win. 

No way they can afford to keep all their young players now. Have to think Samson or Risto is traded. 

Also dont forget a Dahlin deal has to be done in the next 2 years. 

Have a great weekend!

This seems like irrational fear that is not supported by the cap numbers. Remember that all of the non-Okposo roster garbage (Sobotka, Sheary, Hunwick, Scandella, and Bogosian) comes off the books next summer (about $18 million in total). There will be enough money for Reinhart next summer, Dahlin the summer after, Mittelstadt at some point, and the C2 and top-6 winger we desperately need now. 

• Like (+1) 2

The mighty JBOTTa asks why he must pay 9 million per year with a no trade clause....  because Skinner's holding a thermal detonator (of two 2018 offseason trades that required Skinner be re-signed or we'd have been destroyed by two lost trades).

But I am glad we have a slick-skating finisher who pencils in as a top line player for at least 5 years. I think he's got three top-flight seasons in him as Eichel improves all around and we develop a second line that takes the pressure off. And by top flight, I mean three seasons where Skinner is in the conversation for goal-scoring lead until the very end of the season... 45-50 goal seasons, as he was for 1/2 of this season before our top line disappeared. But, I'm usually overly optimistic.

5 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Guess that means he approves of Krueger 

Krueger has found new ways to motivate him.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Derrico said:

Earn it.

I think he will, although no one should expect much in year 8, which is part of the price in these deals.

It's a price I'm happy to pay.  They've locked up an elite goalscorer for Eichel's wing -- and one who's already shown excellent chemistry with Eichel -- for the rest of Eichel's prime.

3 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Who wants to help me wheel in the crow for the people who *just knew* he'd be going to UFA since he was this close. Lots of it to go around. 

3 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

For some, "Because Buffalo" has the power of the infinity gauntlet with all six stones. 

The good hockey talk in your posts that followed these was much better than "look how dumb some people are."

2 hours ago, Ogelthorpe said:

Yeah, that worked so well with Vanek. Would rather of had those 4 1st rounders all day. Overpaying a player for the optics is not the way to win. 

No way they can afford to keep all their young players now. Have to think Samson or Risto is traded. 

Have a great weekend!

Skinner is better than Vanek.  This wasn't about optics.  Others have already debunked the cap concern. 

2 hours ago, Neo said:

Over/Under ....  200 goals during the contract?

No criticism of JBot or today, but I’ll take under.

I'll take the over, sir, and I'll look forward to collecting at the 10th SabreSpace meetup.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'll take the over 250.  I think we get a minimum of 3 40 goal seasons.  

3 in addition to the one he just delivered? 

Yeah baby!  Yeah!

26 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Full NTC 

Oooooooohhh.  That stings.

Why are people worried about a full NTC.  If we continue to suck, he'll want out and we'll trade him.  If we get good, his goal scoring will be a critical piece and assuming he stays relatively healthy I think we'll get at least 6 good years from the deal.  That leaves his final two years with a decreasing base and an increasing cap.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 3

53 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Why are people worried about a full NTC.  If we continue to suck, he'll want out and we'll trade him.  If we get good, his goal scoring will be a critical piece and assuming he stays relatively healthy I think we'll get at least 6 good years from the deal.  That leaves his final two years with a decreasing base and an increasing cap.  

Good points.  The only thing with a full NTC is that Skinner is in total control of his career in the NHL.  He can waive it if he wants.  And if he gets to a point where he wants to waive it, we're all likely at the point where he should waive it, otherwise it doesn't really matter that it's there.

47 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I’m liking this more and more. You pay a 40 goal scorer. 

He’s sandpaper, as well.

You do have to pay a guy who can score 40 goals. 

What I like about the sandpaper point is that he's committed now.  I think we might see even a little more sandpaper. 

So the narrative was Sabres dug in at 8x8, Skinner dug in at 9x8 so JBot caved and Skinner won. Surprised they didn't meet at 8.5 but it is what it is. JBot will have to draft well so we can have some future rookie contracts to make up for the extra million in cap space.

Bottom line, we now have 2 allstars locked up, one future star entering his second year on D, and a few so far inconsistent but skilled and maybe with the right coaching good players. Is it enough? No. At this point we shouldn't be any worse, but we still need a couple FAs added to the mix to truly compete.

8 hours ago, Ogelthorpe said:

Have a great weekend!

How come other teams can but Sabres can't? Bruins, Tampa, Penguins...all keep their best players somehow and make playoffs every year

4 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I like Skinner at this price for 8 years. His skating acumen and even strength goal production should be able to roll up to his mid 30's I would hope.

Agree.  Now this is not proven by any evidence that I researched, but it seems that smaller guys (e.g. Gionta, Fleury, St. Louis) lose a step less quickly as they age than bigger guys.  I know they generously list Skinner at  5' 11' 187 but that must be soakin' wet.   Hope that holds true here and he performs at the end of his career. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Ogelthorpe said:

Have a great weekend!

I think there is a way to keep our youngins'.  JBOT must have a plan for this.    But I am intrigued what the return would be for a Risto and Samson as a combination trade.

This contract is a sign of the times.  Giving a 27 year old winger an 8 year contract is something that will be an issue in the last 3 years. 

$9m per year is also high but again, who do we get to replace that production? 

7 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Any word on NTC/NMC

Can't we just enjoy it? "Too much knowledge is a dangerous thing." — Neal Tyson DeGraffe

6 hours ago, nfreeman said:

The good hockey talk in your posts that followed these was much better than "look how dumb some people are."

Thank you.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.