Official: Skinner Signs 8 year, $72MM Extension

Brawndo

$500k more than I'm happy with.  But glad it's done.  Now get a 2C & a 2RW.

Never feared he'd sign.  But truly expected him to see what other offers could bring.  Guess that extra $4MM gave him enough piece of mind.

Hoping this doesn't bump Reinhart's next deal by $500k/ year as well.

• Like (+1) 2

@Brawndo‘s Panarin comparison in the other thread moved me to “do it”, today.

Just now, Zamboni said:

I wonder how restrictive (if there is one), his NTC/NMC is. 

Well, hopefully we won’t regret the first 5 years of the deal.

excellent question.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Neo said:

Over/Under ....  200 goals during the contract?

No criticism of JBot or today, but I’ll take under.

Averaging less than 25 goals a season? I’ll say over. Probably in the neighborhood of 250.

Edited by Zamboni
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Neo said:

Over/Under ....  200 goals during the contract?

No criticism of JBot or today, but I’ll take under.

You expect him to average less than 30/yr the 1st 6 years?

(He'd only need 21 over the final 2 years to go over should he start out his typical 30 goal self.)

Just now, Taro T said:

(He'd only need 21 over the final 2 years to go over should he start out his typical 30 goal self.)

I factored in injuries, history ...  look at the list of NHLers with 6,7 or 8 30 goal seasons.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Outside of OV or some of the elite it's pretty tough to AVERAGE 30 goals a year over the next 6 seasons.  One injury that lasts more than 20 games and that's likely not happening.

Others with at least five seasons of 30-plus goals (most recent season doing so in parentheses) are: Sidney Crosby (2016-17) with eight; Patrick Marleau (2013-14) with seven; Phil Kessel (2017-18), Evgeni Malkin (2017-18), Eric Staal (2017-18), Zach Parise (2014-15) and Corey Perry (2015-16) with six; and Max Pacioretty (2016-17), Jason Spezza (2015-16) and Steven Stamkos (2015-16) with five seasons.

Some fine names ...

21 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Outside of OV or some of the elite it's pretty tough to AVERAGE 30 goals a year over the next 6 seasons.  One injury that lasts more than 20 games and that's likely not happening.

2 - 35 goal seasons, 2 - 29, & 2 - 26, & he averages 30.

Which of those seem impossible even with a single 60 game season?  And remember, to hit that 200 goal threshold, if he can be above 10 goals the other 2 seasons, he's there with those earlier #'s.  2 - 15's in the last 2 years allows him to still hit 200 with those 2 - 26's being 21's.

I think his AVERAGE over the course of 8 years will be 30 goals. Some years he’ll get 25. Others 35. With injuries and slumps... 30 seems a reasonable average for 8 years. Especially if he has Eichel or another very good center on his line. 

Edited by Zamboni

5 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I think his AVERAGE over the course of 8 years will be 30 goals. Some years he’ll get 25. Others 35. With injuries and slumps... 30 seems a reasonable average for 8 years. Especially if he has Eichel or another very good center on his line. 

I got to 200 for the O/N similarly.  8 x 30 = 240 .....  and took out 40 for injuries ...  age, back end longevity, and some injury history. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.