Official: Skinner Signs 8 year, $72MM Extension

Brawndo

16 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Hate the contract, but we couldn’t let him walk.

This really says it all. 

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

As long as he's part of a playoff team for the previous 6 years, I won't care. Eichel is in his prime. Dahlin is about to be. The time is now. 

My feelings on the longed term consequences would be considerably different if our best players were still Vanek and Pominville. But that's not the case anymore. Let's win some freaking games. 

We need a 2C and a 2RW

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

As long as he's part of a playoff team for the previous 6 years, I won't care. Eichel is in his prime. Dahlin is about to be. The time is now. 

My feelings on the longed term consequences would be considerably different if our best players were still Vanek and Pominville. But that's not the case anymore. Let's win some freaking games. 

Edit: Also, to be clear, my reference to "because Buffalo" was concerning those who were fatalistic about Skinner leaving, not those making arguments that this contract may be ill-advised. 

Hey man, I know I'm sure ready to start watching this team win.  We better not be going half in half out.  Botts has to have a big offseason.  We can't waste even one year on this Skinner deal.  I'm on board with Skinner the player but I will never be convinced that an 8 year deal to a 27 year old is a great idea.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Hey man, I know I'm sure ready to start watching this team win.  We better not be going half in half out.  Botts has to have a big offseason.  We can't waste even one year on this Skinner deal.  I'm on board with Skinner the player but I will never be convinced that an 8 year deal to a 27 year old is a great idea.

Oh, it's not a good idea in the sense that it's particularly savvy. But I basically came around to Freeman's position that it's hard to see the team get better without him. 100% agree that Botterill needs to have a home run of an offseason. This wasn't it, it's holding the status quo...but that was a necessary thing to do, I think. 

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Certainly if Risto is traded. 

*when

4 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I’m 83% sure that if you look through the main Skinner contract thread that he’s reported something similar before. 

No, he hasn't. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

Oh, it's not a good idea in the sense that it's particularly savvy. But I basically came around to Freeman's position that it's hard to see the team get better without him. 100% agree that Botterill needs to have a home run of an offseason. This wasn't it, it's holding the status quo...but that was a necessary thing to do, I think. 

Right. In order to just replace Skinner, he may have had to spend the assets he in reality needs to use to upgrade a team sorely in need of upgrades. 

2 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I really don’t get the angst over the last couple of years or the extra $1 to $1.5 million.

Toronto and Patrick Marleau's 3rd year say hi. As does Chicago and them needing to move Teravainen to dump a bad contract. And so on. There's a price to pay for bad contracts. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, Weave said:

I've said it before.  These contracts are the price every team needs to pay to compete in June.  Every title winning team has bad contracts.  It comes with having to retain high end talent.  The only teams that don't ahve these contracts are teams that don't have veteran high end players.

Buffalo now needs to finish the job and collect the rest of the talent.  Otherwise this is wasted.

I agree that's the general rule, but I disagree that it's inevitable. Tampa has every one of their stars on a team-friendly contract. I don't think it's unreasonable to want to aim for that. 

I guess my issue is with completely dismissing contract concerns as if they simply don't matter when there are more than a handful of instances where teams suffer as a result. You're free to not weigh the downside risks the same as other, but I don't think we should pretend those downside risks are fabrications, as Tom seems to do regularly. 

9 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Toronto and Patrick Marleau's 3rd year say hi. As does Chicago and them needing to move Teravainen to dump a bad contract. And so on. There's a price to pay for bad contracts. 

A) I’m talking the next 5 years. I’m not worried about the last three. It’s workable. 

B) Anything Chicago had to do, is trumped by 3 Stanley Cups.

C) Toronto has more then Marleau’s contract to deal and chances are they may be able to move it.

D) As bad as Okposo and Moulson contracts were they never prevented the team from acquiring talent.

E) How many years has there been a cap? How many young guys have been dealt because of cap hell?

5 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I agree that's the general rule, but I disagree that it's inevitable. Tampa has every one of their stars on a team-friendly contract. I don't think it's unreasonable to want to aim for that. 

I guess my issue is with completely dismissing contract concerns as if they simply don't matter when there are more than a handful of instances where teams suffer as a result. You're free to not weigh the downside risks the same as other, but I don't think we should pretend those downside risks are fabrications, as Tom seems to do regularly. 

Tampa benefitted from a great state tax code, Kucherov having any idiot for an agent and no offer sheets. I believe the era of offer sheets is about to begin.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Hate the contract, but we couldn’t let him walk.

Yeah, that worked so well with Vanek. Would rather of had those 4 1st rounders all day. Overpaying a player for the optics is not the way to win. 

No way they can afford to keep all their young players now. Have to think Samson or Risto is traded. 

Also dont forget a Dahlin deal has to be done in the next 2 years. 

Have a great weekend!

11 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

BREAKING my ducks source is reporting that the Sabres are going to sign Jeff Skinner.

I hear he is selling his house in Clarence to migrate west to Amherst. ?

1 minute ago, Ogelthorpe said:

Yeah, that worked so well with Vanek. Would rather of had those 4 1st rounders all day. Overpaying a player for the optics is not the way to win. 

No way they can afford to keep all their young players now. Have to think Samson or Risto is traded. 

Have a great weekend!

It not about optics, it’s about building the talent base.

3 minutes ago, Ogelthorpe said:

Have a great weekend!

They have their two top forwards in at less then $20 million. I’ll bet that by end of second year of Skinner’s contract Buffalo is in bottom half of league with regards to cap hit of top line!

44 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Uh the dude is 40 years old...only 13 years difference but yeah lets just jump off the deep end

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.