Official: Skinner Signs 8 year, $72MM Extension

Brawndo

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

Who wants to help me wheel in the crow for the people who *just knew* he'd be going to UFA since he was this close. Lots of it to go around. 

No idea why...Skinner has always said he loved it here and wanted to stay. This is th3 closest place near home not named Toronto which has 0 prayer of offering him a contract and Skinner talked to Kreuger as if he was planning on  being here discussing things in future terms with the team...its never been a thought that he was trying to leave.

Well I hope this leads to a very busy offseason for Botts.  Don't want to cut corners but the time to start winning has very much arrived.  Skinner probably has about 4-5 good years and we have to take advantage of that.  We need Dahlin, Mitts and Montour taking big steps but have to add big time from outside.  We need a second line centre and another two top to middle 6 wingers at the least.  Another Dman would be nice too.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, matter2003 said:

No idea why...Skinner has always said he loved it here and wanted to stay. This is th3 closest place near home not named Toronto which has 0 prayer of offering him a contract and Skinner talked to Kreuger as if he was planning on  being here discussing things in future terms with the team...its never been a thought that he was trying to leave.

For some, "Because Buffalo" has the power of the infinity gauntlet with all six stones. 

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

Loved it enough to stay if we gave him above market value. He'd need over 10mil a year over 7 to match the total $ he'll get from Buffalo in a 9mil AAV deal 

Edited by Thorny

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Hate the contract, but we couldn’t let him walk.

This, although I would add if we're paying that much there better not be any NTCs or NMCs on the back half of the deal. Front loading it as much as the CBA allows would also be helpful.

Just now, tom webster said:

Do people realize how many players currently make $9 million or more.

This is a great deal and was never any real doubt it would get done.

I don't think you can consider a market value deal to be a great deal. It's appropriate, expected, and necessary. But great? No. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

For some, "Because Buffalo" has the power of the infinity gauntlet with all six stones. 

What if the 'Because Buffalo' comes when he's eating up $9 mil in cap space over the last 2 years scoring 15 goals and 28 points?

3 minutes ago, Derrico said:

What if the 'Because Buffalo' comes when he's eating up $9 mil in cap space over the last 2 years scoring 15 goals and 28 points?

As long as he's part of a playoff team for the previous 6 years, I won't care. Eichel is in his prime. Dahlin is about to be. The time is now. 

My feelings on the longed term consequences would be considerably different if our best players were still Vanek and Pominville. But that's not the case anymore. Let's win some freaking games. 

Edit: Also, to be clear, my reference to "because Buffalo" was concerning those who were fatalistic about Skinner leaving, not those making arguments that this contract may be ill-advised. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.