Is Reinhart the answer at Second Line Center?

Brawndo

I don’t see an answer in UFA. Signing Duchene or Hayes would result in an overpayment and it’s not likely anyway. Pavelski big money one or two years would be ideal, but that’s even more unlikely.

Johansson is as much a centre as Reinhart. Spezza, Fillipula and Brassard are on social security.

That means hockey trade, targeting a Skinner-style pending free agent, or a player who may become available in a cap clearing move:

Miller, Johnson, Kadri, Malkin, Backstrom, Schenn, Turris, Backlund, Eakin, Haula, Coyle...

And then there is just a good old hockey trade.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, jsb said:

I keep wondering what TBL gives up if we take on Callahan's contract. Is Cirelli + a possibility if we add a good enough sweetener??

I think TB will trade Cirelli only if they get an offer to good to refuse. He’s good and he’s cheap. Those are the kinds of players they need more of.

They will be trying to move one or more of Miller, Johnson, Palat, Killorn and Callahan while taking minimal contract back.

What would the cost be for Eakin or Haula?

I think that might be where we should look for a value trade from a team that needs to make a move.

Each is good 3c who can play against a 1c. With one of those guys and Jack’s line playing against the big boys, Peca style, we can sign a top six wing and run him in easier matchups with Sam and Casey, Max/Vanek/Roy style.

56 minutes ago, dudacek said:

RFAs are very interesting - Karlsson, Point and Aho - I don’t see any of them being available unless the player forces the team’s hands.

I would love to know what it would take to get Karlsson. Depending on his contract demands, I think he could very well be available given Vegas' cap situation.

3 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I would love to know what it would take to get Karlsson. Depending on his contract demands, I think he could very well be available given Vegas' cap situation.

From what I’ve read, they see Karlsson as a good 2 and their preference is to keep him and pay him like one by sacrificing one of their two good 3cs in exchange for picks.

Edited by dudacek

Just now, dudacek said:

From what I’ve read, they see Karlsson as a good 2 and their preference is to pay him like one by sacrificing one of their two good 3cs in exchange for picks.

Well, if he comes in around $8.5M, sacrificing one $2.8M or $3.8M contract isn't gonna get it done. Don't get me wrong, I think they make it work...but if we're talking RFA land for our center solution, I think he's infinitely more available than the other options.

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

Well, if he comes in around $8.5M, sacrificing one $2.8M or $3.8M contract isn't gonna get it done. Don't get me wrong, I think they make it work...but if we're talking RFA land for our center solution, I think he's infinitely more available than the other options.

i thought he was making 5-something already?

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

He was, but their total cap space with him making $0 without a contract is...$0.

So The other guy on the block is Colin Miller.

Eakin and Colin Miller for ...what? Two cheap replacements and a 2nd? A pair of seconds?

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Eakin and Miller for a pu pu platter. Risto for JT Miller. Now we're talkin!

Yeah, that’s where my head was going too.

Think there will be enough of a market for the Knights we might have to pay more than a platter though.

And Miller for Risto doesn’t solve Tampa’s cap problems.

Edited by dudacek

I'll be blunt. Sam at wing or Sam at center doesn't make any difference unless we add more talent in free agency. If they make him the 2C we're weaker on the wing and if he stays on the wing we need a 2C. Makes no difference at all.

I still think a 3rd line of Mitts Olofsson Nylander might be intriguing but at this point any of those guys in the top 6 means a weakness. We need Skinner plus 2 top 6 forwards added to this team to be any good at all. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'll be blunt. Sam at wing or Sam at center doesn't make any difference unless we add more talent in free agency. If they make him the 2C we're weaker on the wing and if he stays on the wing we need a 2C. Makes no difference at all.

I still think a 3rd line of Mitts Olofsson Nylander might be intriguing but at this point any of those guys in the top 6 means a weakness. We need Skinner plus 2 top 6 forwards added to this team to be any good at all. 

Well said.  It’s fine to experiment but like before we dont have the horses to build a solid second line.  We have two first line forwards in Jack and Sam.  A 3rd if Skinner re-signs.  We have two other 3rd line forwards in Sheary and Mitts and then a bunch of unknowns in Olofsson, Nylander and even Thompson. ERod is a nice utility forward but isn’t someone to build around and everyone else is garbage. 

Find two good wingers and then experiment.  

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I remember last summer after Vegas traded another one of their original first round picks away saying they were headed for cap hell and completely *****. Low and behold here we are. This franchise is about to take a steep dive into mediocrity. They have gutted a strong prospect pool and bungled their cap. 

On 6/6/2019 at 8:33 AM, dudacek said:

I remain one of the few interested in beating this dead horse. He was a great centre as a junior, his skill set cries centre and 15 games as a 21-year-old with a new coach, and bad wingers is not the definitive proof the majority of you consider it to be.

From the article:

"I started with the easy part and looked at his most common teammates (wingers) during that stretch. They were Zemgus Girgensons, Seth Griffith, and Nick Baptiste. He also at times had Benoit Pouliot, Jordan Nolan, Matt Moulson, and Justin Bailey on his wings.

Only one of those players are still an every day NHL player in Girgensons. That alone tells us a lot.

In those 12 games, Reinhart averaged a zone-start rate of 44.8%. Thus, meaning he started more of his shifts in the defensive zone for head coach Phil Housley. Giving a young player adjusting to a new position with bad teammates, considerably more defensive zone starts is an interesting coaching tactic."

The problem is that we'll be sold that this was the plan all along after Botterill fails to acquire a legit 2C. 

I'm good with giving Reino a shot at it, but only if Botterill has a legitimate plan b on the roster should it not work. Not a Berglund, a player legitimately capable of playing 2C. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.