Ralph Krueger to meet the Media Wednesday June 5th 10am

Brawndo

Just now, ... said:

You don't think some form of game data would help solve this issue?

Watching game film will help show where things break down... but you have to spend the time actively practicing those things the right way before they become habit.

15 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Watching game film will help show where things break down... but you have to spend the time actively practicing those things the right way before they become habit.

I'm pretty sure they intend to do both of those things. What's your point?

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

29 minutes ago, ... said:

You don't think some form of game data would help solve this issue?

Do we really need to collect more data giving us the same results that we are bad at D zone play?

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/6a492190-ee69-495e-8adc-732ee4c0e9a0

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 1

Who said anything about collecting more data?  They must have a metric ton of data on this matter alone.  It needs to be analyzed, a conclusion needs to be made, the conclusions and data need to be integrated into a plan to improve the defense, and the plan needs to be implemented by whomever needs to implement it.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Honestly I don't see complex analytics producing significant changes for the first year.  It will begin with baselining current players, then analyzing their performance against their own personal baselines and the baselines of the most effective players of the same position, then rolling the results out to the players in bits and pieces to get them to improve their games.  The baselining alone could take as much as a full season.

So an evaluation year?

• Haha (+1) 1

Here are two ways that the coaches could use to work with Rasmus Ristolainen.

Let us suppose, ad arguendum, that Risto gets physically tired in a game after about 25 minutes and tires mentally after 5 games in a row with 25+ minutes.  Analytics might be able to find some kind of "tell" that when Ristolainen is getting mentally tired and/or physically tired in the game.

Another possibility could be that he makes dumb moves because he still processes the information as if he were on a non-NA ice surface.  You can see that by lining up his numbers against minor leaguers who just came to NA from Europe - they probably make the same mistakes in the AHL.

17 minutes ago, ... said:

Who said anything about collecting more data?  They must have a metric ton of data on this matter alone.  It needs to be analyzed, a conclusion needs to be made, the conclusions and data need to be integrated into a plan to improve the defense, and the plan needs to be implemented by whomever needs to implement it.  

Chicken egg chicken egg chicken egg ...

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

So you don't have the least bit amount of concern that he has very little NHL head coaching experience and has been away from the game for the past 5 years?  

Where is this expectation you have coming from....   that we should all just fall in line and stand by everything the guy says?    

Again, I like the guy, I think the qualities he brings will be good for the group in the locker room.    But to say that I hate the guy just because I have concerns, is just... I don't know, forget it.

Let's see what kind of staff he puts together.  We don't know how much delegation he gives in what areas or what will he personally be using his time for.

Do do both, I like both chicken and eggs... prefer my eggs over hard and my chicken either fried or baked with a rub... plenty of ammunition here... have fun...?

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Chicken egg chicken egg chicken egg ...

Edited by North Buffalo

Just now, SDS said:

The egg came first due to the genetic mutation that turned the pre-chicken into an actual chicken. 

What if it was a normal chicken chick that got blasted with radiation,... like Godzilla?

• Haha (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

So an evaluation year?

If they fall back on that it’s as an excuse.

Krueger hasn’t been shy in saying that they need to be competing for a playoff spot this year. Firing Housley is an indication that Botterill evaluates the talent to be better than their record.

Trading for Montour indicates that he expects to compete now and overpaying for Skinner will be more evidence that is true. Trades and signings over the summer will be a further indication.

Mittelstadt Dahlin Thompson Nylander Pilut Olofsson and Ullmark all just had development years, so I guess those particular players might still be considered under evaluation, in terms of what kind of NHL players they can be, but if they can’t perform, they won’t be playing.

And the bulk of the roster will simply be expected to perform.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Cheektorado said:

Let's see what kind of staff he puts together.  We don't know how much delegation he gives in what areas or what will he personally be using his time for.

His last job was comparable to President of Hockey Operations. Let's hope one of his strengths is assembling a team that fills the gaps of his needs and weaknesses. He should trust these people and delegate accordingly.

I hope he is successful as a coach, hires his eventual successor and moves upstairs once a winning culture is established.

5 minutes ago, French Collection said:

His last job was comparable to President of Hockey Operations. Let's hope one of his strengths is assembling a team that fills the gaps of his needs and weaknesses. He should trust these people and delegate accordingly.

I hope he is successful as a coach, hires his eventual successor and moves upstairs once a winning culture is established.

I believe that is a good plan.  He will no doubt be working with Bots giving him useful feedback, something the other HCs didn't seem to do well.

He also seems to have the talent to work with players one on one about their career progression.

That leaves him needing good X O guys that can work together.  Hope they find them!

2 hours ago, darksabre said:

I'm pretty sure they intend to do both of those things. What's your point?

My point is that you don't need gps trackers or any other analytics type data to break down game film and teach how to defend as a 5-man unit during practice.

1 hour ago, ... said:

Instead of trying to analyze numbers and crunch data,  in a manner of minutes you could thrown on some game film and ask the players point blank what the ***** they think they're doing out there.     

5 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Correctly, I assume. I know it seems like a small point, but I've always worried about coaches and GMs who mangle their players' names. Jason says RistoLAYnen. Ruff said Grow-sick and such. It's a lack of respect. One of the million small things you do to have a winning organization.

No wonder I felt ill Everytime he touched the ice 

Edited by inkman

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

My point is that you don't need gps trackers or any other analytics type data to break down game film and teach how to defend as a 5-man unit during practice.

Instead of trying to analyze numbers and crunch data,  in a manner of minutes you could thrown on some game film and ask the players point blank what the ***** they think they're doing out there.     

Why?

• Like (+1) 1

Everybody's ignoring the elephant in that room.  The thing that stood out was that when the 1st questions from the press pool come from ACTUAL pros like Wawrow and Lysowski (sp?) and hacks like Bucky and the mustachioed one aren't around; you get solid questions and solid answers at one of these.  Very few questions that were groan inducing.  Hoping that remains a thing in the future.

As to the meat of the responses; amazing how much better Krueger's 'don't waste time over analyzing the past; look at where we are & where we needed to go ' sounds compared to 'we won't look at last year's film; everybody gets a clean slate ' sounds.

Not positive Botterill got this right, but remain hopeful that he did.  He definitely SEEMS to know what he needs to do and how to do it.

Edited by Taro T
HtF did the phone change Wawrow to Warenka?
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

HOLY REVELATION, BATMAN!  I think you're right.  I think over the past 8 years, they never did this. EVER.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.