Ralph Krueger to meet the Media Wednesday June 5th 10am

Brawndo

On 6/16/2019 at 9:44 AM, Zamboni said:

Before this gets ugly, I think this has gotten off topic big time. Let’s get back on Ralph Krueger hiring. Everyone has opinions about war and politics. This isn’t the thread for that. Good grief. 

Sorry for my part in that derailment.

+++++

I asked way back on page 1, first response after the op, who is this guy.  Pi thought I was joking around, but I wasn't ... I really know nothing about this guy.

Coles Notes version please, thanks.

On 6/13/2019 at 9:12 AM, darksabre said:

I think Jack was a noticeably more mature in a lot of his post-game stuff this year, and I think that likely reflects the added responsibility he was carrying this season. Despite all the losing I thought his attitude was better. He was much better with the reporters, there was a lot less eye-rolling.

Hopefully a leadership core can develop under Kreuger out of all these kids. Lord knows we need to move on from Bogo and Okposo wearing A's.

Who wears the "A" has little to do with the problems facing this franchise.

Regarding Jack's maturity, Rob Ray commented on this all last season during his game day segments on WGR.  I always value Rob's take b/c he knows what it's like to be a player, and b/c of his history, he has a different sort of relationship with the current players.  

How a player interacts with a journalist or someone like Paul Hamilton only tells you how that player interacts with a journalist.

The way in which the same player interacts with Rob "off the record" and away from a camera tells you much more about the real person behind the player persona.

Rayzor commented that Jack was much more mature last season.

The biggest problem I see with Eichel is that he does not bring his best game to the ice every time we play.  He fades in and out period to period, or game to game, or sometimes for stretches of games.

The other huge problem we have (having just watched pretty much every game of the NHL playoffs in their entireties) is that the best teams in the league are not distinguished by having 1 or 2 of 3 big names.  Every team in the league has those guys.

The best teams have 4 lines of contributors who make a difference.

The Sabres lack of depth has to be our biggest problem right now.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

The biggest problem I see with Eichel is that he does not bring his best game to the ice every time we play.  He fades in and out period to period, or game to game, or sometimes for stretches of games.

I agree with that exactly....that that alone is the difference between him as a player being a "top-5 in the league superstar" (which we want and many expected when he was drafted), compared what he is and has been...a 'top 20-25 player in the league star'.

What many people wanted out of him was a half-step behind McDavid...so far he has instead been a 20th-25th best player in the league....mostly because of inconsistency.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 months later...

Paul Hamilton had a little piece today on Ralph.  Not sure who else caught this.

I am convinced Ralph is a good guy, will work very hard to be successful, and means well.

I just have zero confidence it's going to work.

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/sabres-new-coach-ralph-krueger-still-listening-fans

20 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Paul Hamilton had a little piece today on Ralph.  Not sure who else caught this.

I am convinced Ralph is a good guy, will work very hard to be successful, and means well.

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/sabres-new-coach-ralph-krueger-still-listening-fans

So he's the Sabres' version of Rex Ryan?

Yeah, I have the same concern.

21 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

I get a very Ted Nolanish vibe from Ralph Krueger.     Really nice guy, good team guy, positive, gets everybody pulling in the same direction... but will be consistently out coached, poor at in game adjustments, etc..

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I get a very Ted Nolanish vibe from Ralph Krueger.     Really nice guy, good team guy, positive, gets everybody pulling in the same direction... but will be consistently out coached, poor at in game adjustments, etc..

Why do you think this?

I was reading how some group (or person) developed a new expected goals model that includes pre-shot motion somehow, another variable included to get a little more detail. 

The Sabres were comfortably last in quality offense generated according to this model, just like they routinely sit at the bottom in almost every even strength offensive thing you could count, measure, or watch.

This also lines up with the eye tests of any Sabre fan here - I don't think anyone thinks we're good at consistently generating offense from worthwhile locations in the offensive zone, and our goal totals suffer as a result. 

I love all the stuff I hear about Ralph, but for this to work, he's got to be able to see that this is happening, see why it's happening, and know what to do to fix it. Because while talent is a huge part of the equation, I believe that tactics can be installed right now to get a meaningful amount more out of what we already have. I'm not confident they will be, and won't believe it until I see it happening. 

IDK what those tactics are, but Ralph had better! 

Edited by Randall Flagg

Raise your hand if you’re one of those fans that won’t give coaches more than 8-10 games before you think he sucks and will never improve the team. In other words, have knee jerk opinions.

Now raise your hand if you’re one of those fans that give coaches and entire season before you pass judgment on what kind of coach he is. In other words, take a long time to form an opinion on coaching skill.

Finally, raise your hand if you’re one of those fans that will give a coach until half way thru the season before you have your mind made up (and nothing will change it) as to what kind of coach he is.

• Like (+1) 2

I'm not going to get into any of this so I'll only say one thing. He was hired, he is the coach, so give him the benefit of a doubt and don't start bitching about him (and the implied fire them all thread) until after the first 10-20 games this season at least. Give the guy a chance. 

At 0-0-0 his coaching record in Buffalo is better than Housley's.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

I was reading how some group (or person) developed a new expected goals model that includes pre-shot motion somehow, another variable included to get a little more detail. 

The Sabres were comfortably last in quality offense generated according to this model, just like they routinely sit at the bottom in almost every even strength offensive thing you could count, measure, or watch.

This also lines up with the eye tests of any Sabre fan here - I don't think anyone thinks we're good at consistently generating offense from worthwhile locations in the offensive zone, and our goal totals suffer as a result. 

I love all the stuff I hear about Ralph, but for this to work, he's got to be able to see that this is happening, see why it's happening, and know what to do to fix it. Because while talent is a huge part of the equation, I believe that tactics can be installed right now to get a meaningful amount more out of what we already have. I'm not confident they will be, and won't believe it until I see it happening. 

IDK what those tactics are, but Ralph had better! 

Eyeballs told me the Sabres were improved in chance generation last year, but it was an extremely low bar given that they were abysmal under Bylsma and laughably inept before that.

I find it interesting that Krueger apparently did not hire an offensive tactician in his staff. His most recent interview seems to indicate Smith’s role is to be a link to past and to relate to the defencemen and Granato’s is to teach detail and skill nuance. Bales was not well-defined but his background is as a goalie coach. All three are supposed to “challenge” (and presumably shape) Ralph’s approach and strategy.

Obviously, there may be specifics that were left unsaid, but it seems to me that the primary tactician might be Ralph himself.

Edited by dudacek

Sabres rep called me today reminding me mini-pack's are on sale now (mini-pack holder for several years prior to last).  I told him I've been so disappointed with the results that I'm opting for buying just a game or two this year.  Plus I'm very disappointed with the lack of discount on mini-packs last season AND blue and gold scrimmage being exclusive to season ticket holders (I get the amount of cash dropped by STH but Jesus I've dropped enough on them and small things like this feel like I'm being alienated as a fan).  Don't get me started on how they don't give a crap about southern Ontario Sabres fans with their lack of Saturday home games.....

I digress......the point of all this was the faith the ticket guy was even putting in RK.  He says Krueger is making significant changes throughout the organization.  I love the idea of RK but jesus, coach the hockey team.  Show me results.  I'm done with this garbage of a product.  I've been drinking tonight yes.  But Christ, you can only spend so much money on a team when you go to games in January EVERY season and the team is out of it.  Then they go and give very little discounts (last season atleast, haven't looked this year), allow only a small number of ppl in blue and gold tourney (this is a somewhat cheap event that people can bring their kids and develop a new generation of fans but they screwed that up too), dont' have very many weekend games.   No ***** you.  I'm done spending so much money on this team.  These are the fans that have supported through the last decade of ***** quality and now you're going to call me up and try talking me into buying atleast 6 more games?  No.  I truly hope Kreuger is the answer because the Sabres seem to really be banking on it, I want to start loving them again.  Again, I've been drinking so I'm sorry but right now ***** them.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

Raise your hand if you’re one of those fans that won’t give coaches more than 8-10 games before you think he sucks and will never improve the team. In other words, have knee jerk opinions.

Now raise your hand if you’re one of those fans that give coaches and entire season before you pass judgment on what kind of coach he is. In other words, take a long time to form an opinion on coaching skill.

Finally, raise your hand if you’re one of those fans that will give a coach until half way thru the season before you have your mind made up (and nothing will change it) as to what kind of coach he is.

I really don't care.  I just want to see the team win.

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

At 0-0-0 his coaching record in Buffalo is better than Housley's.

Well, Housley's a pretty low bar.

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

Any other options?

Asking for a friend.

31 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Sabres rep called me today reminding me mini-pack's are on sale now (mini-pack holder for several years prior to last).  I told him I've been so disappointed with the results that I'm opting for buying just a game or two this year.  Plus I'm very disappointed with the lack of discount on mini-packs last season AND blue and gold scrimmage being exclusive to season ticket holders (I get the amount of cash dropped by STH but Jesus I've dropped enough on them and small things like this feel like I'm being alienated as a fan).  Don't get me started on how they don't give a crap about southern Ontario Sabres fans with their lack of Saturday home games.....

I digress......the point of all this was the faith the ticket guy was even putting in RK.  He says Krueger is making significant changes throughout the organization.  I love the idea of RK but jesus, coach the hockey team.  Show me results.  I'm done with this garbage of a product.  I've been drinking tonight yes.  But Christ, you can only spend so much money on a team when you go to games in January EVERY season and the team is out of it.  Then they go and give very little discounts (last season atleast, haven't looked this year), allow only a small number of ppl in blue and gold tourney (this is a somewhat cheap event that people can bring their kids and develop a new generation of fans but they screwed that up too), dont' have very many weekend games.   No ***** you.  I'm done spending so much money on this team.  These are the fans that have supported through the last decade of ***** quality and now you're going to call me up and try talking me into buying atleast 6 more games?  No.  I truly hope Kreuger is the answer because the Sabres seem to really be banking on it, I want to start loving them again.  Again, I've been drinking so I'm sorry but right now ***** them.

I’ve suspected this would be the Sabres primary sales pitch; it makes sense given the antipathy for Housley, the likability of Ralph and -most significantly - they haven’t really got anything else to sell.

And I’m sober, but with you 100 per cent. Just win some ***** games. Weave earned that much.

(Edit: And the rest of Sabrespace has too)

Edited by dudacek

1 hour ago, Derrico said:

image.thumb.png.6c50aa7400e73a30cebfd46ce3f558ad.png

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Eyeballs told me the Sabres were improved in chance generation last year, but it was an extremely low bar given that they were abysmal under Bylsma and laughably inept before that.

I find it interesting that Krueger apparently did not hire an offensive tactician in his staff. His most recent interview seems to indicate Smith’s role is to be a link to past and to relate to the defencemen and Granato’s is to teach detail and skill nuance. Bales was not well-defined but his background is as a goalie coach. All three are supposed to “challenge” (and presumably shape) Ralph’s approach and strategy.

Obviously, there may be specifics that were left unsaid, but it seems to me that the primary tactician might be Ralph himself.

It’s an incredibly interesting coaching situation. 

The amount of variation in potential outcomes seems LARGE. 

Having said that, I’m still inclined to think the success or failure of the coaching staff will mostly hinge on the make-up of the roster. 

Edited by Thorny

I’ve owned seasons since 2004 (summer leading into the lockout year), in section 320. I’ve saved all my invoices from every year. I crunched the numbers, and to date, factoring parking, and grabbing occasional grub, and occasional gear, I’ve spent just over $40,000 on the Sabres/going to games. It was more than I thought. 

49 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Why should I not?

Guy has been a coach at the professional level for 30 years and has a track record of leading his teams to relative success, particularly at the highest levels of best-on-best international hockey.

Do you think it was strictly motivational speeches that elevated the perennial doormat Swiss to knocking on the door of the big five? Do you think Mike Babcock used him to break down international opponents for the 2010 Olympics for his backslapping talent? Was it merely the power of positive thinking that pushed his old and slow mishmash TeamEurope into the finals of the World Cup?

There might be some truth to the theory the Ralph is all speeches and no hockey knowledge. But I’d like to see some evidence before buying into a narrative being built before a puck is touched in training camp.

Just because he’s good at one thing doesn’t necessarily mean he’s bad at something else.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 5

16 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Guy has been a coach at the professional level for 30 years and has a track record of leading his teams to relative success

***** relative success.  I want ABSOLUTE VICTORY.

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

But I’d like to see some evidence before buying into a narrative being built before a puck is touched in training camp.

I'm perfectly willing to let his win-loss record with the Sabres speak for itself.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.