Ralph Krueger to meet the Media Wednesday June 5th 10am

Brawndo

18 hours ago, ... said:

Okay, so I watched both the presser and the 14 minute interview with Duff. @pi2000, I think I have a better idea, now, where you're coming from.  In the near half-hour worth of Krueger time today, he spoke about actual, or traditional, coaching for maybe 1 minute.  I can appreciate how folks used to, again, traditional, North American coaching would find that concerning.

RK is not traditional at all.  He is basically Rikard Grönborg with some NHL experience.  Both would come across as alien because they're not Xs and Os type coaches, they're enabler coaches. RK assumes the guys know the fundamentals of the game, or that they can get that kind of coaching from other sources (assistants, etc.). RK is going to focus on personal development, as in, making them "the best person they can be" development.  Right now for players playing in the NHL, being a highly developed person equals being the best possible NHL player that individual can be.

Translated, this means that those of us who want an organization that can recognize true talent, well we ostensibly have it now.  For RK to be successful, the players, despite their psychological make up, must have real talent.

I have to give Jbot and the Pegulas a lot of credit.  Not unlike with Sean McDermott, they have identified an approach to coaching that is essentially radical and they have committed to it.  RK is like the international version of McDermott, which makes sense (to me) because the NFL is a very American game and McDermott has a very American approach as a coach/enabler.  Hockey is an international sport, full of international players, and so the coach/enabler must have a more international approach.  But the fundamental philosophies are very similar.

I don't know if this will work, I'm not wagering either way, but I find it a brave, legitimate attempt at trying something new.

He isnt anywhere close to Rickard Grönborg, he doesnt even know how to win, he has won some useless mounatin league in Austria, thats it. 

This is a real bad coach imo and pretty much tells why Jbot went with him, they think the same, fancy cupcakes and words.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

He isnt anywhere close to Rickard Grönborg, he doesnt even know how to win, he has won some useless mounatin league in Austria, thats it. 

This is a real bad coach imo and pretty much tells why Jbot went with him, they think the same, fancy cupcakes and words.

Didn’t his useless Austrian mountain league team win the European Champions Cup over the big boys from Sweden and Russia, etc.?

On 6/5/2019 at 7:59 AM, Derrico said:

You will have to excuse him.  He’s been fasting for awhile now ?

@New Scotland (NS) - just a couple more days of Ramadan.  Almost there!  

Um ... We are just finishing up Eid 3.  Which means that Ramadan ended 3 days ago.  Unless, of course, you mean that I am just so out of it that I must still be fasting.  In that case ... carry on, eh.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Krueger says his defensive philosophy includes creating pressure on the puck.  Hopefully that mean for the first time in eons we'll feature a serious forecheck.

Though specifically, he was talking in the D zone... he did mention he believed it was important at all times.

I don't get some of the over reactions to the use of analytics. Nowhere does he say he will rely on them solely, but why not use every tool possible and examine things in every possible way. As for it being an evaluation year I don't see that either. Sounds more like evaluation will be an ongoing thing for all the time he is here. The first thing I would assume would be looking at analytics from the past year(s) and then comparing them to analytics gathered while playing in a new system. See how players change and adapt, or don't adapt and possibly need to be replaced. All seems good to me.

imo he comes across as a stereotypical no nonsense German. Calm and confident with an icy stare that means its all business. He will likely pull long hours and work extremely hard. Will the players we have respond? No f'n idea.

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't get some of the over reactions to the use of analytics. Nowhere does he say he will rely on them solely, but why not use every tool possible and examine things in every possible way. As for it being an evaluation year I don't see that either. Sounds more like evaluation will be an ongoing thing for all the time he is here. The first thing I would assume would be looking at analytics from the past year(s) and then comparing them to analytics gathered while playing in a new system. See how players change and adapt, or don't adapt and possibly need to be replaced. All seems good to me.

imo he comes across as a stereotypical no nonsense German. Calm and confident with an icy stare that means its all business. He will likely pull long hours and work extremely hard. Will the players we have respond? No f'n idea.

Its Pi.. you say Tomatoe he says chop suey... meh

15 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

I don't get the impression that Kruger is about fancy cupcakes and words. I think he has a high standard for people, the question is can he implement that standard on this group. 

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't get the impression that Kruger is about fancy cupcakes and words. I think he has a high standard for people, the question is can he implement that standard on this group. 

But he also has a high standard for cupcakes.

39 minutes ago, Claude_Verret said:

This is the first thing I thought of when I heard his name. If the Sabres have Dr. Van Nostrand in for a skin cancer screening clinic we are in big trouble.

Just wait 'til you meet the architect they've got working on the new stadium renderings.

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I could be wrong but I think to Modo it was basically Gronberg or bust.

On 6/6/2019 at 4:42 PM, MODO Hockey said:

You think JBot is a fancy worder?  Man, he's no wordsmith in my book.  He says "it's a situation where" 20 times an interview.  I'm banking on him being better behind the scenes - I've never once felt he was using word trickery.  

On 6/6/2019 at 11:34 PM, dudacek said:

Didn’t his useless Austrian mountain league team win the European Champions Cup over the big boys from Sweden and Russia, etc.?

They did, that tourney was a joke to all players and teams in matter of importance, it was like preseason games, only for practice. They as in the businessmen tried making something out it for years but ended beeing bankrupt more than once, even CHL that runs now these days isnt that exciting for teams or spectators, the money isnt good enough and neither are the org.

I dont understand how people can be excited over this "coach", but hey he might prove me wrong.

Fancy words is all he got now and nothing to back it up with, you also know this. 

I rather come into next season not so excited to become hopefully very much excited, were all diffrent i guess but this is like giving Johan Larsson 9 million usd contract and dismissing Jeff Skinner.

Edited by MODO Hockey

6 hours ago, bunomatic said:

I'll reserve judgement but pretty well everything the Pegulas have done since they took over ( on the hockey side ) has hit them square in the face like a garden rake so there's that. We'll see. 

Would you consider Pegulas funding HarborCenter, “on the hockey side” since they like um,  play hockey there. That’s worked out very nice.

Would you consider Pegulas giving the green light to Tank for three years so we can acquire higher end draft picks, a poor choice? Having Reinhart, Eichel, and Dahlin on the team is pretty damn good.

AT THE TIME Bylsma and Housley were very very sought after candidates for HC. They were both interviewed by more than just Buffalo. And after losing out on Babcock, With the help, blessing (or direction) of Pegulas, Sabres landed them. And hindsight is always so  conveniently 20/20, and it didn’t work out. Accomplishing the acquisition is pretty impressive.

I’m not disagreeing that Pegulas have made poor choices, but “everything” isn’t close to accurate.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Would you consider Pegulas funding HarborCenter, “on the hockey side” since they like um,  play hockey there. That’s worked out very nice.

Would you consider Pegulas giving the green light to Tank for three years so we can acquire higher end draft picks, a poor choice? Having Reinhart, Eichel, and Dahlin on the team is pretty damn good.

AT THE TIME Bylsma and Housley were very very sought after candidates for HC. They were both interviewed by more than just Buffalo. And after losing out on Babcock, With the help, blessing (or direction) of Pegulas, Sabres landed them. And hindsight is always so  conveniently 20/20, and it didn’t work out. Accomplishing the acquisition is pretty impressive.

I’m not disagreeing that Pegulas have made poor choices, but “everything” isn’t close to accurate.

And thats why I said I'll reserve judgement because its so darned easy when I do have hindsight. I was hoping we'd get someone with a little more experience this time with getting their teams into the playoffs. They've made their choice so we'll just have to wait and see. We're all powerless to change anything about what they've done so far and like you say there have been positives like Harbour center and the 3 stars they've collected for being dreadful. The rest, face meet rake.

12 hours ago, bunomatic said:

And thats why I said I'll reserve judgement because its so darned easy when I do have hindsight. I was hoping we'd get someone with a little more experience this time with getting their teams into the playoffs. They've made their choice so we'll just have to wait and see. We're all powerless to change anything about what they've done so far and like you say there have been positives like Harbour center and the 3 stars they've collected for being dreadful. The rest, face meet rake.

I get the sentiment.. but it's not like Berube and Cassidy had tons of experience before getting to where they are right now.  The more experienced coaches all got bounced, some of them real early.

On June 9, 2019 at 5:38 AM, LTS said:

I get the sentiment.. but it's not like Berube and Cassidy had tons of experience before getting to where they are right now.  The more experienced coaches all got bounced, some of them real early.

Yeah for sure. I guess for me its just following up an inexperienced coach with another. I've read some good things about Ralph so I'm excited to see this play out.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.