Sullivan Ax Grinding

Pimlach

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well it depends on the price of course but I think you get more for your money by spreading it around a little instead of all on a couple guys. I just read that Skinner-Eichel is the 6th highest paid tandem in the league. 6th highest for two guys who have never been in the playoffs just seems wrong.

Free agents I like: Zucharello, Ferland, Dzingel. Possibly Johanson after watching him with Boston's run although his concussion history makes me a little wary there. 

If cheap, Simonds or Williams for more grit. I know Simmonds looked bad in Nashville but I think he'd look good in the front of the net on our PP. Also could create a little room for our talented players. We need that.

I think Hayes is Philly bound so Eberle for the right price as a 2C but he is likely too expensive. 

Do I hate Skinner being on Eichel's wing? Absolutely not. But do I think we overpaid and will wish we hadn't in a few years, absolutely. 

This is the great fear! But as I just wrote in the Skinner thread, this is the world we are living in now in terms of money and term for a proven 40 goal scorer.  It's ridiculous.

Skinner has an edgy, chippy thing built into his game.  I think it's the only way he knows how to play and I think that is why his production has been pretty consistent throughout his career. 

I think he'll be OK but who knows; he could definitely pull a Stafford on us and disappear.  Then we are stuck with this god awful K for a long time.

Next CBA ownership needs to figure out how to undo these guaranteed Ks.  They have killed the sport.

18 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

This is the great fear! But as I just wrote in the Skinner thread, this is the world we are living in now in terms of money and term for a proven 40 goal scorer.  It's ridiculous.

Skinner has an edgy, chippy thing built into his game.  I think it's the only way he knows how to play and I think that is why his production has been pretty consistent throughout his career. 

I think he'll be OK but who knows; he could definitely pull a Stafford on us and disappear.  Then we are stuck with this god awful K for a long time.

Next CBA ownership needs to figure out how to undo these guaranteed Ks.  They have killed the sport.

I'm truly in between on it. First, I think we paid for a proven 40 goal scorer but my fear is he is really only a 30 goal scorer and the off year he only gets into the high 20s it'll seem like a huge over payment. I don't think he will pull a Stafford on us and disappear but I do think he will have trouble living up to the price paid and that'll make it hard to build on if and when some of the future and current draft picks emerge and want to be paid their due. We certainly have to hope the kids are going to merit higher pay days cause if they don't, it's all irrelevent anyway cause we will simply suck. 

All the angst is logical and probably realistic.

But the Jeff Skinner we had for the first 60 games this year is well worth the contract. Hopefully we get that guy long enough for the team to grow around him.

The man was clutch. And a treat to watch on a team that hasn’t had much of either.

58 minutes ago, dudacek said:

All the angst is logical and probably realistic.

But the Jeff Skinner we had for the first 60 games this year is well worth the contract. Hopefully we get that guy long enough for the team to grow around him.

The man was clutch. And a treat to watch on a team that hasn’t had much of either.

Every time I question the deal I try to remind myself he scored 40 without a power play unit. With a middle of the road powerplay I think he hits 40 easy next year. Wouldn’t put my eggs in that basket with similar PP numbers though. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.