Sullivan Ax Grinding

Pimlach

I used to read and enjoy Sullivan's column back in the day.  I also had a common acquaintance who said that Jerry was a pretty good guy.  That said, I have to agree that Sullivan has become overly negative in recent years to the point that it is difficult to enjoy his column.  I can't recall the last time he wrote anything positive.  I think he takes his criticisms of the Pegulas too far.  They are not perfect owners, but they have done a lot of positive things for the Buffalo sports scene.  After a few years of finding themselves, they seem to have the Bills moving in the right direction and I think they will eventually find the right mix of coach and GM to get the Sabres there too. (I hope that it's Botterill and Kreuger, but we'll see.)  Back to Sullivan, I can't recall a column in which he didn't use the word "dubious."  Try it some time - read one of his columns and see how far you can get before you see the word "dubious."

55 minutes ago, Neo said:

My heavens ... your last sentence ....  and here we are on a Sabres blog!   Oh, why, indeed!

I’m here and not elsewhere precisely because it’s often tough and seldom toxic.

A lot of smart, passionate people who love their Sabres (despite the fact they often don’t deserve it. ?)

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I’m here and not elsewhere precisely because it’s often tough and seldom toxic.

A lot of smart, passionate people who love their Sabres (despite the fact they often don’t deserve it. ?)

Bingo ...

11 hours ago, freester said:

How can Sully be so critical of our beloved Sabres?   Well maybe its because we are the worst organization in the NHL since Chiarelli got canned in Edmonton.

Do you actually read and enjoy his columns? If so, you read very very few sports writers. He is one of the worst I’ve ever read. And the straw man sarcasm of “how can Sully” etc... has nothing to do with the actually logical reasons he was so disliked. But you know this ...

16 hours ago, msw2112 said:

I used to read and enjoy Sullivan's column back in the day.  I also had a common acquaintance who said that Jerry was a pretty good guy.  That said, I have to agree that Sullivan has become overly negative in recent years to the point that it is difficult to enjoy his column.  I can't recall the last time he wrote anything positive.  I think he takes his criticisms of the Pegulas too far.  They are not perfect owners, but they have done a lot of positive things for the Buffalo sports scene.  After a few years of finding themselves, they seem to have the Bills moving in the right direction and I think they will eventually find the right mix of coach and GM to get the Sabres there too. (I hope that it's Botterill and Kreuger, but we'll see.)  Back to Sullivan, I can't recall a column in which he didn't use the word "dubious."  Try it some time - read one of his columns and see how far you can get before you see the word "dubious."

I have it on trusted authority -- two different people (one a contemporary of Jerry's the other more of a mentee) that he's a good guy. Also, when he posted content about his daughter, I got a clear sense that he was a loving and proud father (which reflects well on any man).

And now I'm going to give back into his content to term-search "dubious."

17 hours ago, dudacek said:

To expand, I have trouble with the idea that because I don’t want to read Sullivan, I’m some sort of cheerleader.

I’ve been reading @PASabreFan for years, Frequently disagree with him. But I like reading his stuff. Partly because he’s funny and a good writer, but mostly because he see things in people and situations that I might miss. His different opinions enrich my understanding and improve my perspective.

Sullivan’s rarely do.

Sullivan has been writing the same thing over and over for 30-some years.  PA's only been doing that for about half that time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

On 6/3/2019 at 9:20 PM, Zamboni said:

Do you actually read and enjoy his columns? If so, you read very very few sports writers. He is one of the worst I’ve ever read. And the straw man sarcasm of “how can Sully” etc... has nothing to do with the actually logical reasons he was so disliked. But you know this ...

He is disliked by some posters due to his frequent criticism of both the Bills and Sabres organizations.  Both organizations have more than deserved it although fortunately things are looking up for the Bills.   While I agree its hard to enjoy the columns its been equally hard to enjoy the teams.

I don't like his criticism of the Pegulas, but they are the ones who hired Rex, Byelsma, Murray, Botteril, Lafontaine which have proved to be debacles.  The Pegulas are great people who have helped the city tremendously.  Unfortunately they have frequently  hired the wrong people

Edited by freester

On 6/5/2019 at 8:58 AM, freester said:

He is disliked by some posters due to his frequent criticism of both the Bills and Sabres organizations.  Both organizations have more than deserved it although fortunately things are looking up for the Bills.   While I agree its hard to enjoy the columns its been equally hard to enjoy the teams.

I don't like his criticism of the Pegulas, but they are the ones who hired Rex, Byelsma, Murray, Botteril, Lafontaine which have proved to be debacles.  The Pegulas are great people who have helped the city tremendously.  Unfortunately they have frequently  hired the wrong people

Sullivan has been as bad as the organizations - he just can't see it and had to go.  

He thinks he's tapped into the thought process of a significant portion of fans.   He worked off the assumption some of the other portion would be drawn in,  because it gets 'em just so darned upset.  He miscalculated and doesn't understand the fan base at all. 

He's the guy in a clown suite calling the Pegula's clowns for hiring the clown show that is Rex Ryan.  

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, 7+6=13 said:

Sullivan has been as bad as the organizations - he just can't see it and had to go.  

He thinks he's tapped into the thought process of a significant portion of fans.   He worked off the assumption some of the other portion would be drawn in,  because it gets 'em just so darned upset.  He miscalculated and doesn't understand the fan base at all. 

He's the guy in a clown suite calling the Pegula's clowns for hiring the clown show that is Rex Ryan.  

His articles often read like this song. And the carnivores of the fan base, lapped it up gleefully.

On 6/3/2019 at 6:35 AM, Pimlach said:

Yes, he is no dummy.  But even prior to PSE, he seemed to lack the ability to get the inside scoop on Buffalo sports.  Like he was not part of the inner circle for Buffalo Sports (Like Felser, Kelley, etc). 

You can lose sources quickly in sports with all of the turnover.  Woudn't surprise me if he just lost the ability to connect with execs and players due to his overt negative tone.  When you continually tear into a team, they tend to want to talk to you less. 

As a fan, I need a writer who can identify both negative and positive in a situation.  Sullivan seemed to always take a negative, whiny, approach to every article, which I'm sure meshed well with many of the Bills and Sabres fans who are also whiny and negative.

But after a while, that grows old on a fan like myself.  I followed him on Twitter for a while, and vast majority of the comments below his negative takes were critical of his negative tone, telling him to shut up...or confirming why the BN dumped him.

When you mix in the fans AND team execs being tired of his constant negative takes, it becomes a business decision.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 6/3/2019 at 9:32 AM, freester said:

How can Sully be so critical of our beloved Sabres?   Well maybe its because we are the worst organization in the NHL since Chiarelli got canned in Edmonton.

Sure, okay. They are the worst. Boom. So what are they supposed to do to not suck? Hire a new coach? Sign and likely overpay their top goal scorer? They did those.

It could all fail. And Jerry Sullivan wants to be the first to say "I told you so." Jerry's forte is not to offer thoughtful analysis. It's to remind you of the last time something didn't work and say it could happen again.

It's all he does. There's no skill to it. If he's wrong, people will forget. He'll move on to hammering the Bills or UB or anyone he thinks he can land a punch on.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

6 hours ago, dejeanerret said:

You can lose sources quickly in sports with all of the turnover.  Woudn't surprise me if he just lost the ability to connect with execs and players due to his overt negative tone.  When you continually tear into a team, they tend to want to talk to you less. 

As a fan, I need a writer who can identify both negative and positive in a situation.  Sullivan seemed to always take a negative, whiny, approach to every article, which I'm sure meshed well with many of the Bills and Sabres fans who are also whiny and negative.

But after a while, that grows old on a fan like myself.  I followed him on Twitter for a while, and vast majority of the comments below his negative takes were critical of his negative tone, telling him to shut up...or confirming why the BN dumped him.

When you mix in the fans AND team execs being tired of his constant negative takes, it becomes a business decision.  

He and Bucky Gleason, another ray of local sunshine, did a radio show that was actually not bad. I think Bucky was a governor on Jerry's negative impulses. When Buck got a respectable job (insurance maybe?) Sully was free to unleash the beast.

22 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So why take up his sword unless you agree?

I’m not. The sentiment of “skinner’s large contract hurting us down the road” is not exclusive to just Skinner. Most Hockey fans realize you can insert any number of names who get paid a huge contract, can “hurt a team” down the road. It can also work out wonderfully. PF makes it sound like it’s exclusive to Skinner. It’s not. 

2 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I’m not. The sentiment of “skinner’s large contract hurting us down the road” is not exclusive to just Skinner. Most Hockey fans realize you can insert any number of names who get paid a huge contract, can “hurt a team” down the road. It can also work out wonderfully. PF makes it sound like it’s exclusive to Skinner. It’s not. 

Until the Sabres prove us wrong, I will not question, in any sort of condescending way, any Sabres fan take on any their dealings. We have earned the right to question anything and everything they do. If you feel you know better, good on you.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Until the Sabres prove us wrong, I will not question, in any sort of condescending way, any Sabres fan take on any their dealings. We have earned the right to question anything and everything they do. If you feel you know better, good on you.

Huh? You lost me. 

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Sure, okay. They are the worst. Boom. So what are they supposed to do to not suck? Hire a new coach? Sign and likely overpay their top goal scorer? They did those.

It could all fail. And Jerry Sullivan wants to be the first to say "I told you so." Jerry's forte is not to offer thoughtful analysis. It's to remind you of the last time something didn't work and say it could happen again.

It's all he does. There's no skill to it. If he's wrong, people will forget. He'll move on to hammering the Bills or UB or anyone he thinks he can land a punch on.

While I agree that a specific plan to improve the team from Jerry would be insightful, I feel his comments are designed to force change in the decision makers who continue to perform poorly in the Sabres organization [Botterill)

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Unless it doesn't. So who would you sign for less money?

Well it depends on the price of course but I think you get more for your money by spreading it around a little instead of all on a couple guys. I just read that Skinner-Eichel is the 6th highest paid tandem in the league. 6th highest for two guys who have never been in the playoffs just seems wrong.

Free agents I like: Zucharello, Ferland, Dzingel. Possibly Johanson after watching him with Boston's run although his concussion history makes me a little wary there. 

If cheap, Simonds or Williams for more grit. I know Simmonds looked bad in Nashville but I think he'd look good in the front of the net on our PP. Also could create a little room for our talented players. We need that.

I think Hayes is Philly bound so Eberle for the right price as a 2C but he is likely too expensive. 

Do I hate Skinner being on Eichel's wing? Absolutely not. But do I think we overpaid and will wish we hadn't in a few years, absolutely. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.