2 years in a row...Housley effect

sweetlou

Two years in a row players lost their desire to play the game while being coached by Housley.  First ROR last year and then Bergland this year.  I hope players understand that it was Housley and his style that no one wanted to play and not being a player in the Buffalo organization.  Buffalo has a great fan base and they deserve to put a quality product on the ice.  I am looking forward to this off season as I believe there will be some great moves.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/patrik-berglund-says-hell-play-hockey-next-year-after-leaving-nhl-in-december-213239995.html

• Like (+1) 1

I don't have any sympathy for Berglund for quitting on the team. You don't like not getting playing time? You give the coaches a reason to play you more. You play so good that fans & critics alike get on Housleys case to give you more playing time. Sulking, complaining, giving up, quitting are absolutely the wrong way to go about it. Dudes supposed to be a professional. A 10-11 year vet. Guy plays the 1st 25% of a season & quits? Gtfo here with that.

If he had personal issues going on, I'd be more inclined to give him a break, even tho you're still a man & you have a job to do & you're supposed to do it.

These cry me a river Berglund articles tick me off a bit. Boohoo you were making millions of dollars & didnt like how you were being used. He probably was pissed at being traded in the 1st place, never got over it & it carried over to his play. If he couldnt man up then walking away was the best thing for him & our team. But nobody should feel sorry for him. If anything people should feel sorry for us investing in him. If Jbots didnt think he was getting a viable player back from St Louis as part of that package, he probably wouldn't have made that trade. So we're the ones that got screwed. Writers should write about that.

• Like (+1) 5

I just read that article again.

Two things. The “could care less” is even more cringeworthy today, and Woody nailed it, he comes across as an even whinier puss today than I thought yesterday.

I’m mad at myself for almost feeling bad for him when people were jumping on me for not caring about his “mental health issue.” Does anyone still actual believe that?

54 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I just read that article again.

Two things. The “could care less” is even more cringeworthy today, and Woody nailed it, he comes across as an even whinier puss today than I thought yesterday.

I’m mad at myself for almost feeling bad for him when people were jumping on me for not caring about his “mental health issue.” Does anyone still actual believe that?

Nope.

I never quite bought into the idea that no big name free agents want to sign here however things like this and what ROR said do make me think twice about it.

11 minutes ago, R_Dudley said:

Nope.

I never quite bought into the idea that no big name free agents want to sign here however things like this and what ROR said do make me think twice about it.

Yeah, it is pretty damning evidence.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

ROR, Lehner, Berglund and probably more than a few others — being a professional hockey player and ending up in a city without a functional NHL franchise has to be torture.

Living inside this perennial hope cocoon has really sheltered us from the ugly truth. Buffalo, has become, the opposite of Terry's dream. It is hockey hell. No winning, no leadership, no culture. Its a desolate wasteland of nothingness. If Jack & Rasmus aren't the guys that can carry us to the promise Land, I'm fearful this team could be terrible indefinitely. 

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

ROR, Lehner, Berglund and probably more than a few others — being a professional hockey player and ending up in a city without a functional NHL franchise has to be torture.

The only problem with this is that the Sabres were at the top of the standings when Berglund left.

I don’t see this one as a Sabres problem. This was Berglund being a whiny puss. I hope he never plays in the NHL again.

6 hours ago, SwampD said:

The only problem with this is that the Sabres were at the top of the standings when Berglund left.

The Sabres were 17-9-4 when Berglund played his final game.

It’s easy to see how the miasma of losing that was swallowing the franchise must have destroyed hIm.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, dudacek said:

It’s easy to see how the miasma or losing that was swallowing the franchise must have destroyed hIm.

Every few months a topic like this arises that really tells you more about a fan views of the franchise rather than accurately depiction of the situation at hand. It’s just one long series of ink blot tests. 

If your overriding sentiment is that the franchise is loserville and they will always be loserville, then it does not take much effort to torture any situation and have that be the desired outcome. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

I don’t see this one as a Sabres problem. This was Berglund being a whiny puss. I hope he never plays in the NHL again.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

It’s easy to see how the miasma or losing that was swallowing the franchise must have destroyed hIm.

These guys could see the lay of the land, both before and during their time here. They're not naive kids. What did the GM and the owner think of that winning streak? Not much. They admitted as much. What did they do to give a group that had won 10 straight games hope after they hit hard times? Nothing. If you think playing for a franchise that is never about winning doesn't wear on you, I don't know what to tell you.

46 minutes ago, SDS said:

Every few months a topic like this arises that really tells you more about Have a fan views of franchise rather than accurately depicting the situation at hand. It’s just one long series of ink blot tests. 

If your overriding sentiment is that the franchise is loserville and they will always be loserville, then it does not take much effort to torture any situation and have that be the desired outcome. 

"The Buffalo Sabres are not a functional NHL franchise" is an accurate depiction of the situation. Will they always be loserville? No.

Edited by PASabreFan

17 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

These guys could see the lay of the land, both before and during their time here. They're not naive kids. What did the GM and the owner think of that winning streak? Not much. They admitted as much. What did they do to give a group that had won 10 straight games hope after they hit hard times? Nothing. If you think playing for a franchise that is never about winning doesn't wear on you, I don't know what to tell you.

"The Buffalo Sabres are not a functional NHL franchise" is an accurate depiction of the situation. Will they always be loserville? No.

While I’m not disagreeing completely (because I truly wonder if he would have bitched out had he been traded to Boston or Montreal or wherever), listen to that podcast.

I listened to it thinking I would have more sympathy for him and his “mental health issues.” ***** him. He loves St. Louis and talks like he still plays for them. He was broken up that he and his agent are dumbasses and got played by the team he loves. He quit on the city of Buffalo and the Sabres because he is a spoiled brat and he can ***** off.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

...   nah, not for this situation.   He might have gutted it out in some places, sure,  but the vast majority of clubs weren't his comfy fit Blues.   He quit a winning club cuz, well, he did ...  not because he “saw this was an unsustainable aberration in loserville”.

I admire he didn't play out the string for money.  I predict he’ll regret lacking that certain characteristic of other professional athletes that allows them to play through adversity.   He’s a talent without a go to work everyday mentality.  It cost him $12 million.  I hope he finds happiness.

ROR, too, you say?  Maybe its the franchise?  Different stories, different records, different usages.   Berglund and ROR aren’t evidence of any same thing.

• Like (+1) 2

One guy had likely borderline suicidal depression, another had bipolar disorder with substance abuse and the third forced his way off a team for the 2nd time.

Would any of the the outcomes have been different on, say, Tampa?

Maybe, but the first 2 seem pretty likely to have happened anywhere.  In any case there is NFW of knowing and thus not really "because Buffalo" evidence.

On 6/1/2019 at 3:39 PM, sweetlou said:

Two years in a row players lost their desire to play the game while being coached by Housley.  First ROR last year and then Bergland this year.  I hope players understand that it was Housley and his style that no one wanted to play

Biggest load of Buffalo droppings I've ever seen on this site, and I've been called negative and cynical.

17 hours ago, SDS said:

Every few months a topic like this arises that really tells you more about a fan views of the franchise rather than accurately depiction of the situation at hand. It’s just one long series of ink blot tests. 

Add to that the fact that Berglund was considered a huge underachiever for the Blues.  His stats back up this sentiment.   The fans here were happy to unload him and his salary.  They hated to see guys like Oshie, Backes, and Perron (since returned) leave but Berglund’s departure was considered a plus.  While he may love the city he was not loved by the fan base like these other players   

Some of the players may love and respect him but the fans and media do not share that sentiment.  

Buffalo vs St Louis - As for which  is a better city or at better hockey town, that is a debate  that could go on forever with no conclusion.  The only part of that debate that is not without argument is the current state of each franchise.  The Sabres are still considered dysfunctional, the Blues have been steady and stable for decades.   

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

They hated to see guys like Oshie, Backes, and Perron (since returned, then left again, then returned again) leave

Fixed that for you.  I get a kick out of the rare cases when a guy comes back to a team so many times.

• Thanks (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

The clueless Housley was like a poison.  He made me cringe watching him attempting to figure out what was going on.

If you are suggesting this organization's woes are limited to Housley as the HC, I think you'll be unpleasantly surprised in the near future.  

Housley was a part of the problem, sure.  But far from an isolated source of the problem.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.