• Trevor Zegras
    • Matthew Boldy
    • Cole Caufield
    • Peyton Krebs
    • Alex Turcotte
    • Alex Newhook

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Ok, you've officially confused me now.

I think the prospects are even. In reality they are not. I have less info than the Sabres. Also we know in the end that they will not have even careers. Hence my reference to game theory. 

I will try to summarize. It is hard for me to rank the players in 5-10 because I have limited info on them. In the end however, 1 of them will be the best and 1 of them will be the worst of that grouping. The Sabres have more info and I hope they make the right decision. At the end of the day, these 5 prospects will not be the same. 

Edited by LGR4GM

4 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Caufield 

Dylan Cozens

Phillip Tomasino

Raphael Lavoie 

Jakob Pelletier
Mads Sogaard
Jamison Rees
Hunter Jones
Ville Heinola 
Hugo Anlefelt
Colten Ellis 
Ryan Johnson 
Brayden Tracey
Drew Helleson 
Cade Webber
Moritz Seider

Artemi Kniazev

Vladimir Kolyachonok. 

Moritz Seider is an interesting name.

Edited by darksabre

2 hours ago, TheCerebral1 said:

Give me Zegras as the best "of what's left" situation at 7 overall.  I'm hoping for Turcotte, Byram or Krebs.  I'm okay with Cozens or Dach.  I don't want Caufield. 

..because generational snipers are overrated.  

4 hours ago, pi2000 said:

So that is the question, is Caulfield's size that much of a deterrent making it to the NHL or is all his other intangibles and sniping ability worth it.  Also depends again if Sabres can sign a Center in FA...  wish FA period was before the draft so you knew better the need.

11 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

So that is the question, is Caulfield's size that much of a deterrent making it to the NHL or is all his other intangibles and sniping ability worth it.  Also depends again if Sabres can sign a Center in FA...  wish FA period was before the draft so you knew better the need.

If your team is drafting a player that won't play fro 2-3 years based on need this year, they are doing it wrong. 

My issue with Caufield is that his skating is fine, not great and I don't think he brings a lot of other things. He has some good passing but he's not a complete player. 

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I think the prospects are even. In reality they are not. I have less info than the Sabres. Also we know in the end that they will not have even careers. Hence my reference to game theory. 

I will try to summarize. It is hard for me to rank the players in 5-10 because I have limited info on them. In the end however, 1 of them will be the best and 1 of them will be the worst of that grouping. The Sabres have more info and I hope they make the right decision. At the end of the day, these 5 prospects will not be the same. 

Most teams are going to have their boards set by now, with only a significant medical issue found at the combine having a big impact. That said, they are also stratified into much tighter layers than what the armchair scouts and GMs see. Liger's group of 5-6 second tier prospects are going to be dissected into layers 2a, 2b, 2c, 2d ... by the teams. The top 100 kids have had every aspect of their game and their lives looked at by every team. The difference between player 2a and 2d can be huge in the eyes of a GM. Those same two players are seen as interchangeable to those of us on the outside.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

If your team is drafting a player that won't play fro 2-3 years based on need this year, they are doing it wrong. 

My issue with Caufield is that his skating is fine, not great and I don't think he brings a lot of other things. He has some good passing but he's not a complete player. 

So, just for the record, that's a hard pass from you on the all time USNTDP goal scoring leader because he's "not a complete player" at 18 years old?

Gotcha.?

3 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

So, just for the record, that's a hard pass from you on the all time USNTDP goal scoring leader because he's "not a complete player" at 18 years old?

Gotcha.?

Isn't a pass at all. I haven't said I wouldn't take Caufield. I said he was high risk high reward and if you take him there are parts of his game that you may have to acknowledge won't be there. Part of that is due to size. He will always have issues down low and along the boards. Don't put ***** words in my mouth and try to be snarky. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/31/2019 at 1:19 PM, LGR4GM said:

Also what if we have the Ed Oliver effect again? What if Turcotte slides. Chicago takes Byram, Colorado takes Dach, LA takes Colzen, and Detroit takes Pod. Turcotte is sitting there at 7 but not 10. 

Right, let’s hope for a run of CHL guys before us, then Botterill will get his man likely 

23 hours ago, dudacek said:

Ryan Jankowski (Sabres top scout) sure sounded impressed with Caufield today on WGR.

Sabres Woke Twitter has certainly decided that if you don’t want Caufield to be the pick, you are WRONG 

16 hours ago, Thorny said:

Right, let’s hope for a run of CHL guys before us, then Botterill will get his man likely 

Sabres Woke Twitter has certainly decided that if you don’t want Caufield to be the pick, you are WRONG 

A certain segment of fans, Sabres woke Twitter (?) ?, Will love the pick. The typical, blue collar, old school fan will loathe the pick because he's not a 6'5" pugilist. People still call into WGR wanting Jack & Sam to drop the gloves. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

So you want them to pick a player who can play immediately but it’s alright if they pick a guy who has a contract that keeps him overseas till 2021?

Not.  I did not vote for him.  But he is not the worst choice.

15 hours ago, Berg said:

I think Podkolzin is not the worst choice, as many here consider. https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/512832/vasili-podkolzin

The fact he will be in the KHL for two more years might make some teams not want him, but if he is in the same tier as Turcotte and Byram you take him at 7.

Whoever we pick will be 1-2 years from becoming an NHL player anyway.

Zegras work and compete effort is by all accounts very high.  His vision/ creativity are elite shot needs work but he admits it and looks determined to figure it out.  Kid also appears to still be growing... his younger brother is taller than him 6'2" so expect some more height and kid appear tough in the corners, not nasty, but tough.  

2 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Zegras work and compete effort is by all accounts very high.  His vision/ creativity are elite shot needs work but he admits it and looks determined to figure it out.  Kid also appears to still be growing... his younger brother is taller than him 6'2" so expect some more height and kid appear tough in the corners, not nasty, but tough.  

I don't need him to get taller. He's just over 6ft, he needs to add weight and drive the net more. Play inside those hashmarks. He can, but he likes the perimeter because he is such a creative playmaker. 

I like Zegras. I think he is very good. We have to ask how many of his assists are inflated though because he played lots with Caufield and Hughes. Something to think about. He's right there though at 7. 

Edited by LGR4GM

On 5/31/2019 at 4:14 PM, pi2000 said:

Because, guys who are undersized always make it.  Sure, I could be wrong, but I'm just not biting on Caufield.  That's just my take.  I'll take Zegras who fits both a need and value at 7 over a sprite, who can shoot. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.