• Trevor Zegras
    • Matthew Boldy
    • Cole Caufield
    • Peyton Krebs
    • Alex Turcotte
    • Alex Newhook

17 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Cozens, Pod, Caufield And Turcotte

Interesting. I would have thought there would be a few more.

Makes me want to jump to the conclusion that they don't expect Byram to be available and those are the next four guys on their list.

Of course they might have talked, or plan to talk, to others off-screen.

Edited by dudacek

Ecstatic if we pick Cole Caufield...a true sniper that this team hasn't had in I don't know how long.

Disappointed if we pick Bowen Byram...or any defenseman in the first round.

I think the Sabres will pick Matthew Boldy...because Turcotte, Caufield and Zegras will be off the board.

My ideal draft would be...

1st round: Cole Caufield (F) or Matthew Boldy (F)

1st round: Bobby Brink (F) or John Beecher (F)

3rd round: Robert Mastrosimone (F) or Shane Pinto (F)

4th round: John Farinacci (F) or Ryder Donovan (F)

6th round: Michael Vukojevic (D) or Drew Helleson (D)

6th round: Grant Silianoff (F) or Alex Campbell (F)

6th round: Ethan Haider (G) or Cole Brady (G)

7th round: Will Francis (D) or Mike Koster (D)

(5 forwards, 2 defensemen, 1 goalie...I think that replenishes the prospect pipeline quite nicely, and evens it out a little bit.)

Edited by OhMyDahlin

7 minutes ago, OhMyDahlin said:

Ecstatic if we pick Cole Caufield...a true sniper that this team hasn't had in I don't know how long.

Disappointed if we pick Bowen Byram...or any defenseman in the first round.

I think the Sabres will pick Matthew Boldy...because Turcotte, Caufield and Zegras will be off the board.

My ideal draft would be...

1st round: Cole Caufield (F) or Matthew Boldy (F)

1st round: Bobby Brink (F) or John Beecher (F)

3rd round: Robert Mastrosimone (F) or Shane Pinto (F)

4th round: John Farinacci (F) or Ryder Donovan (F)

6th round: Michael Vukojevic (D) or Drew Helleson (D)

6th round: Grant Silianoff (F) or Alex Campbell (F)

6th round: Ethan Haider (G) or Cole Brady (G)

7th round: Will Francis (D) or Mike Koster (D)

(5 forwards, 2 defensemen, 1 goalie...I think that replenishes the prospect pipeline quite nicely, and evens it out a little bit.)

That is a fantastic user name.

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Caufield 

Dylan Cozens

Phillip Tomasino

Raphael Lavoie 

Jakob Pelletier
Mads Sogaard
Jamison Rees
Hunter Jones
Ville Heinola 
Hugo Anlefelt
Colten Ellis 
Ryan Johnson 
Brayden Tracey
Drew Helleson 
Cade Webber
Moritz Seider

Artemi Kniazev

Vladimir Kolyachonok. 

That you know of or is that it?

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

I can read the list at the top of the page.  Why is any of these particularly exciting?

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Turcotte. Cozens. Byram. Newhook. Krebs. Boldy.

Robertson. Pelletier. Tomasino. Poulin. Caufield.

Turcotte is the most interesting followed closely by Newhook in my book. Turcotte's scoring is very good for his age and his 2-way game is also very good. An injury to start the year and mono slowed him down a little. That said, he has an edge, shoots well, and projects to be a decent 1st line center or a very very good 2nd line center. His skating is good and that is also a huge plus. He is probably only 1 year away from the NHL. 

Newhook is 2 years away but is the most interesting player I listed. He has great skating. Hughes is the only member of this class that I think skates better. He also has a complete game. The only knock on him is that he played HS hockey so his point totals are hard to gauge. That said, his shot, compete, vision are all top of the line. He was very good in the U18 but also played on a line with Cozens and Krebs so they had tons of talent going. 

Boldy is interesting because he is so adaptable. You need a shooter, you can count on Boldy. You need a passer for your triggerman, you can count on Boldy. You need a 200ft player to maintain posession, Boldy. He is quick and agile but not overly fast. A year in college might help that part of his game. He just seems to constantly improve. 

Roberston is interesting because he is extremely young for the draft and produced at Lavoie's level while being almost exactly 1 year younger. He plays in 1 mode, death mode. He will go through you, around you, or through you again but he's coming. Love this kids compete and I want to know if he is 5'9" or taller now. With his late bday, I am hoping he is actually 5'10" or better. Also his shot is great.  

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

Anyone think Zegras is worth consideration. His vision is off the charts from what I have read, good in the corners, has speed... not sure about his shot.

Worth it, yes. I don't like how he tends to hang out outside the slot looking to pass it but he's very skilled. 

1 minute ago, North Buffalo said:

There are times where he goes to the net... not enough on vids I have watched... how much is that a function of who he was playing with.  Asking because I am not sure.

Honestly could not say. That USDP team was so good that it is very hard to split players out. It is easier with some like Boldy and Turcotte because they played long stretches together in clearly defined roles. Zegras bounced around more because he played with Boldy and then with Hughes. I don't think I could be disappointed with Zegras although I think Turcotte is better. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Honestly could not say. That USDP team was so good that it is very hard to split players out. It is easier with some like Boldy and Turcotte because they played long stretches together in clearly defined roles. Zegras bounced around more because he played with Boldy and then with Hughes. I don't think I could be disappointed with Zegras although I think Turcotte is better. 

Oh agree but of that list I am guessing that Turcotte wont be there at 7 and itll be a choice of Boldy v Zegras. I guess it depends if Sabres can sign a 2C FA then less important to draft a center and Boldy would be the choice.

28 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Oh agree but of that list I am guessing that Turcotte wont be there at 7 and itll be a choice of Boldy v Zegras. I guess it depends if Sabres can sign a 2C FA then less important to draft a center and Boldy would be the choice.

zegras can play wing though so i think they take best available. 

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

From what I have read so far... my mock right now:

1. Hughes
  2. Kakko
  3. Turcotte
  4. Byram
  5. Cozens
  6. Podkolzin
  7. ??? 

So if that is the case.. Boldy because of size and shot, Zegras because of vision, shiftiness or someone else?

5 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

So if that is the case.. Boldy because of size and shot, Zegras because of vision, shiftiness or someone else?

I mean, at 7 you will have 5 options I think. Boldy, Zegras, Newhook, Krebs, Caufield. I don't have Dach there because I don't love his game as much. Idk who I would take to be truthful. I like certain parts of each of the 5. Cuafields shot, Newhooks skating, Zegras vision, Krebs compete, Boldys versatility. 

Zegras has more of an attitude than Boldy which I do like. He is a pest at times. I think Zegras has an underrated and underused shot. Boldy, I just feel like will be an NHL player but Zegras I think has more upside. Really tough if I am just picking between the 2. Pick your poison. 

Zegras highlights for those who have not watched him much. He is very patient and clever with his passing. Eyes in the back of his head. 

7 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Ok, so why not trade down to 10 or 11 and pick up some asset?

Why not get the player you want at 7 instead of the leftovers.

Why not get the food you want at the Buffet instead of whatever is left? 

I have these guys grouped closely but I would doubt the Sabres with all their extra time and knowledge do. At 7 you can get the best player in that second tier. At 11 you might get the last player in the tier but they might not be the best. I'd rather trust our scouts to get this right. 

17 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Why not get the player you want at 7 instead of the leftovers.

Why not get the food you want at the Buffet instead of whatever is left? 

I have these guys grouped closely but I would doubt the Sabres with all their extra time and knowledge do. At 7 you can get the best player in that second tier. At 11 you might get the last player in the tier but they might not be the best. I'd rather trust our scouts to get this right. 

I mean, if it's really even, it's really even...

15 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Also what if we have the Ed Oliver effect again? What if Turcotte slides. Chicago takes Byram, Colorado takes Dach, LA takes Colzen, and Detroit takes Pod. Turcotte is sitting there at 7 but not 10. 

I have no problem with them waiting until they're on the clock to trade the pick.  But if the player at 7 is essentially the same as the player at 10, doesn't it make sense to move down?

51 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I know, not the most helpful but this draft is really even between pick 6 and I'd say 10 or 11. 

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Nothing is ever even. We're playing a zero-sum game here. 

Ok, you've officially confused me now.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.