The 2019 Stanley Cup Final. St Louis vs Boston

Brawndo

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I think he deserved it. Rask's numbers were way better than Binnington's and by all accounts he was better. Would look a little odd to give it to Binnington just cause he had the better team. 

ROR lead the playoffs in scoring. 

Like I'd said, I expected O'Reilly to win, but really believe that without Binnington standing on his head when he did, O'Reilly doesn't get the chances he did.

And take getting crushed in game 3 out of it, and Binnington's stats were significantly better than they ended up.  Guy seriously had it working when necessary.

And do you honestly believe that the Blues were clearly the better team this series?  Wouldn't say that myself.  But, at the end of the day, they were the better team, all parts considered.

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

This isn't snark, has a player ever won Conn Smythe before, the season immediately after being traded? I tried to google it and nothing 

Nope it’s the first time. They said it during the NBC broadcast 

• Sad 2

ROR or Binnington.  Either guy has a strong case.  

Early January I was hearing that Armstrong was looking to deal players.  Scheen to Buffalo was one rumor.  

Binnington saved the season.  They won because he saved them way back 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, dudacek said:

And another Sabre legend, Steve Ott. ?

How could we not be happy for Ott, though?  The original shield licker.

Just now, calti said:

Good for ROR that he had a chance to play for a decent organization.

Easy now.

Armstrong is on local St Louis TV talking about ROR “we knew we were getting a good player, a 200 foot player that can score big goals, we knew we were getting a special player”.  

4 minutes ago, calti said:

the sabres franchise needs to toughen up.

Yes it does.  Starts with a coach, then a GM that finds mentally tough players.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Armstrong is on local St Louis TV talking about ROR “we knew we were getting a good player, a 200 foot player that can score big goals, we knew we were getting a special player”.  

right on

4 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

People have declared ROR mentally weak all year.

i don’t want mentally strong players (or at least what people mean when they say this) I want talented players we don’t drive out of Buffalo

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Billznut said:

Maybe just maybe Eichel and Pegula have NO clue what they’re doing.  Maybe all the kool aid drinkers need to wake UP!!!!!’

This is the kind of post that gives those of us who want to trash the trade in peace a bad name. I can see where the frustration comes from from those tired of hearing about the trade, if it's leading to things like this. Not trying to pick on you, but blaming Eichel for this would seem to be a vast stretch.

And the kool-aid thing. I mean it's a vast generalization. 

Edited by Thorny

we need craig ramsays on this team as well as mike pecas...and don luce and daniel briere and chris drury.

Just now, calti said:

we need craig ramsays on this team as well as mike pecas...and don luce and daniel briere and chris drury.

none of them big guys but all TOUGH.

30 minutes ago, jad1 said:

The Sabres franchise needs to stop bleeding talent.  

ever since briere and drury debacle

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Thorny said:

This is the kind of post that gives those of us who want to trash the trade in peace a bad name. I can see where the frustration comes from from those tired of hearing about the trade, if it's leading to things like this. Not trying to pick on you, but blaming Eichel for this would seem to be a vast stretch.

And the kool-aid thing. I mean it's a vast generalization. 

I think he meant to type JBot instead of Eichel. 

5 minutes ago, jad1 said:

I'd push it further back to Peca and Hasek.

That completely ignores the acquisition of talent needed for the most exciting stretch of Sabres history. Not sure I agree in the slightest. How can you bleed talent and compete for a cup multiple seasons in a row?

Crazy to me that Binnington did not win the Conn Smythe. Bruins should have been ahead after the first but he stoned them. Shows you how far great goaltending can take you.

As for ROR, really hate that he won the cup and the award. Now the "look how good things can get when you escape Buffalo" narrative can reach epic proportions. Even if he never brings it up again publicly, you know it's out there and you know there will be players who think it. We're screwed. 

24 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Crazy to me that Binnington did not win the Conn Smythe. Bruins should have been ahead after the first but he stoned them. Shows you how far great goaltending can take you.

As for ROR, really hate that he won the cup and the award. Now the "look how good things can get when you escape Buffalo" narrative can reach epic proportions. Even if he never brings it up again publicly, you know it's out there and you know there will be players who think it. We're screwed. 

It arguably matters, but only until we start winning. 

Then it doesn't matter anymore. Not to potential suitors.

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

If u have a good goalie that can do the most incredible saves in a moment not many can handle stresswise your team will feed of that and eventually success is inviteable.

Rask was the better goalie overall in this series i believe but Bennington really mentally changed St.Louis and i would say is one of the top 3 reasons they now are champions.

The 3rd of Januari St.Louis were dead last, and not many here were calling for ROR. Now though this "ROR worst trade in Sabres history" will continue, but what this actually shows is that this sport is certainly not a one-man-show! 

Edited by MODO Hockey

I couldn't stick it out until 3am to watch, but I did watch the highlights this morning, and what I saw was a shot total very in favor of Boston and many great saves by Bings. It seemed like the Blues popped one in and then got that last minute goal and it was cruise control from there. Since I didn't see, did the Bruins feel the crunch and play tighter after being down 2? 

Either way I love seeing Boston lose and I have a particularly PO'd colleague that I have already begun messing with. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.