The 2019 Stanley Cup Final. St Louis vs Boston

Brawndo

1 minute ago, #freejame said:

He just gave an interview with the athletic where, and I could be wrong about this because it was over a week ago that I read it, he said he didn’t request a trade and didn’t expect a trade. So I guess you would add liar on top of the other complaints about RoR. 

And if he did quit, RoR going through the motions was still the best player over the course of every season he played with the Sabres*.

*Jack injuries taken into account. 

Sigh. 

Yes, it’s totally believable that Botts woke up one day and just said to himself, “I think I’ll force a trade on one of my best players for absolutely no reason at all” 

Good thinking Lincoln. I’m sure that’s how it went down. People normally make hasty, important decisions on complete whims. 

2 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

And if you didn’t play Binnington, you will undoubtedly lose. He gives the Blues the best chance to win a cup.

I don’t think he’s saying don’t play Binnington. Just that he would take other goalies over him in a game seven. I agree with both of your posts though. 

Just now, SDS said:

Sigh. 

Yes, it’s totally believable that Botts woke up one day and just said to himself, “I think I’ll force a trade on one of my best players for absolutely no reason at all” 

Good thinking Lincoln. I’m sure that’s how it went down. People normally make hasty, important decisions on complete whims. 

How on earth did you get that from anything I’ve ever said about the RoR trade? Yet alone any of the above posts. I don’t think I even mentioned JBotts name. 

16 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I don’t think he’s saying don’t play Binnington. Just that he would take other goalies over him in a game seven. I agree with both of your posts though. 

How on earth did you get that from anything I’ve ever said about the RoR trade? Yet alone any of the above posts. I don’t think I even mentioned JBotts name. 

I extrapolated from the post you made about him not asking for a trade, but you focused on quitting, not all potential behavio. I may have missed the mark. My apologies. 

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

I extrapolated from the post you made about him not asking for a trade, but you focused on quitting, not all potential behavio. I may have missed the mark. My apologies. 

My theory is Pegula/drunk driving related. I choose this theory to spare any ill-will towards any parties involved. I try to not hold hard feelings and this is the easiest route. 

Either way, not the thread for all this. Sorry for the derailment, all. 

8 hours ago, #freejame said:

Just for clarification, you aren’t holding Ryan accountable for Cals action, correct? You’re saying that played into Pegula’s decision. 

Anyway, I thought people were constantly on his “woe is me attitude” after games and how he would place too much burden on himself? I thought he was always pretty candid with how he was feeling.

Ryan is not at fault for Cal's actions; but it likely contributed to the overall relationship between ownership and him. 

That's something that always perplexed me about ROR; he seemed honest yet simultaneously he seemed to have a script as to his post-game feelings. At the end of the day, if you keep saying you need to be better; why didn't he ever get past what seemed to be the same issues?  

Back to playoffs ...  

whatever magic Berube pulled out of the Blues team he needs to do it again.  Game 7 will be a war and the Blues cannot play like they did in the third.  The penalties need to stop, they need to score early, and they need Binington to play a great game.  

I am traveling back to New Hampshire via Logan in two weeks.  If there is a hockey god he needs to put on a Blue sweater.  

19 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Ryan is not at fault for Cal's actions; but it likely contributed to the overall relationship between ownership and him. 

That's something that always perplexed me about ROR; he seemed honest yet simultaneously he seemed to have a script as to his post-game feelings. At the end of the day, if you keep saying you need to be better; why didn't he ever get past what seemed to be the same issues?  

OT:  please suffer and indulge me.  I’ve googled unsuccessfully.  Just what did Cal do?  I am aware of the issue ...

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, #freejame said:

O’Reilly never quit on the Sabres. This is a narrative that needs to stop. You can fall out of love with something you love during trying times, that doesn’t make you a quitter. I’ve used job analogies in the past, but here’s another one—imagine being in love with a significant other. Let’s say they cheat on you. You might question your love of the person. But you realize you’ve spent a significant portion of your life loving that person and don’t want to quit on the relationship. You question your love of the person, but you keep trying to rebuild a strong relationship. 

Sometimes I think people believe athletes aren’t real people with real emotions. Let’s all just go back to cliche and bitching about cookie cutter answers so this never happens again. 

Let's use your analogy then.  Let's say that said significant other is paying you 7.5 million a year to love them.  You've misinterpreted the relationship entirely.  

1 hour ago, 7+6=13 said:

Let's use your analogy then.  Let's say that said significant other is paying you 7.5 million a year to love them.  You've misinterpreted the relationship entirely.  

No. In that case I would use the job analogy, which I have on multiple occasions. You’ve never had a long, extended ***** project at a job you liked that made you question your decision? I know that happened plenty in the army for me. 

4 hours ago, Neo said:

OT:  please suffer and indulge me.  I’ve googled unsuccessfully.  Just what did Cal do?  I am aware of the issue ...

To sum it up quickly:

Cal O’Reilly was signed by the Sabres org to be an NHL/AHL tweener and was brought in when we signed RORs extension. 

COR was made captain of the Amerks and became Nylander’s host and mentor during his rookie year.

Around the midway part of the season COR became unhappy and likely complained to GMTM and by March he was loaned to their rival, the Marlies.

Supposedly his discontent also affected the rookie Nylander.

I’ll look for the articles when I get home

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Neo said:

Cal O'Reilly was signed as a favor to his brother Ryan.  It was believed (probably due to his growing up in a family that regularly took in Foster kids) that he would be an ideal host to take in Nylander like Moulson had done the prior year for Eichel.

Apparently, rather than treat him like a family member as the Moulson's had done, Cal & his wife considered Alex a burden & they made their resentment of him clear.

Additionally, Cal ( Amerks captain) was apparently a big believer in hazing rookies and made sure that Alex did more than his fair share of cleaning the team bus and other chores.

So, rather than helping Alex learn how to be a pro, Cal gave Alex a lot of flack at "the office" and Alex couldn't get a respite when he was "home.". Made for a pretty miserable season for the 8th overall pick, and Cal eventually was given to a rival for the playoff run to get him away from Alex.

Had nothing to do with Ryan, but can definitely see where it didn't make the Pegulas interested in writing Ryan any more checks than they already had once the decision to try to trade him had been made.  Which is frustrating as a fan, because like most here, really believe the Sabres would've had a significantly better haul for him had they paid that 1st check.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, #freejame said:

No. In that case I would use the job analogy, which I have on multiple occasions. You’ve never had a long, extended ***** project at a job you liked that made you question your decision? I know that happened plenty in the army for me. 

First, thank you for your service.  Much respect!

As a leader and at the top of the pay scale - no I wouldn't tell everyone under me and above me, I've lost my love for doing this.  I've felt like it, but I wouldn't say it.  I'd be the one that rallied everyone and encouraged them that things will get better.  I'd tell them they can lean on me and I'll be strong when things aren't going well.  

So to answer your question - no - I've never told my team mid project that I'm questioning my decision to be involved.  

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

Cal O'Reilly was signed as a favor to his brother Ryan.  It was believed (probably due to his growing up in a family that regularly took in Foster kids) that he would be an ideal host to take in Nylander like Moulson had done the prior year for Eichel.

Apparently, rather than treat him like a family member as the Moulson's had done, Cal & his wife considered Alex a burden & they made their resentment of him clear.

Additionally, Cal ( Amerks captain) was apparently a big believer in hazing rookies and made sure that Alex did more than his fair share of cleaning the team bus and other chores.

So, rather than helping Alex learn how to be a pro, Cal gave Alex a lot of flack at "the office" and Alex couldn't get a respite when he was "home.". Made for a pretty miserable season for the 8th overall pick, and Cal eventually was given to a rival for the playoff run to get him away from Alex.

Had nothing to do with Ryan, but can definitely see where it didn't make the Pegulas interested in writing Ryan any more checks than they already had once the decision to try to trade him had been made.  Which is frustrating as a fan, because like most here, really believe the Sabres would've had a significantly better haul for him had they paid that 1st check.

I never heard most of this “behind the scenes” story. Where in gods name did you dig this up from? I’d like to read it, see who the source is etc ...

40 minutes ago, 7+6=13 said:

First, thank you for your service.  Much respect!

As a leader and at the top of the pay scale - no I wouldn't tell everyone under me and above me, I've lost my love for doing this.  I've felt like it, but I wouldn't say it.  I'd be the one that rallied everyone and encouraged them that things will get better.  I'd tell them they can lean on me and I'll be strong when things aren't going well.  

So to answer your question - no - I've never told my team mid project that I'm questioning my decision to be involved.  

Thank you, happy to have done it.

He didn’t tell them mid-project, he told them at the end that there were times during the season he struggled. His comments were clean out day, not during the season. If you were struggling during a project, would you say, on completion, man we really need to do something differently next time? RoR wasn’t the boss either. His boss was JBotts, who didn’t give him the needed support to excel in the project. Not to mention O’Reilly shouldered the burden all season, just like you said you had. 

58 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I never heard most of this “behind the scenes” story. Where in gods name did you dig this up from? I’d like to read it, see who the source is etc ...

Among other sources, those stories were pretty rampant around here at the end of Nylander's 1st pro season.

2 hours ago, #freejame said:

Thank you, happy to have done it.

He didn’t tell them mid-project, he told them at the end that there were times during the season he struggled. His comments were clean out day, not during the season. If you were struggling during a project, would you say, on completion, man we really need to do something differently next time? RoR wasn’t the boss either. His boss was JBotts, who didn’t give him the needed support to excel in the project. Not to mention O’Reilly shouldered the burden all season, just like you said you had. 

My interpretation of mid-project is during his contract.  There's was something off about this guy and I think he had to go.  Even watching him playing so well with the Blues - I'm still glad he's gone.  Paul Hamilton said they were trying to trade him before the trade deadline.  IMO, he makes stuff up all the time but if he's right - he was clearly not doing the right things.   PH also speculated that he desperately wanted to be the man and that he couldn't come to terms with not being the man.  If that's accurate - I can't stand him even more.

This will be my last response on this and it's been a good debate.  

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

So ... they are just ... stories? Rumors? Nothing definitive? Is that correct?

Try searching using Rochester D&C as keywords as well.  I seem to recall there was some newspaper coverage of the shenanigans.  Whether it was TBN or D&C, I don't remember.  But the situation did get media coverage.  The coverage was light on details, and heavy on presumption if I remember correctly.  Gist of it was, COR was not a good host or good mentor to Nylander and appears to have went out of his way to make things quite miserable.

30 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

So ... they are just ... stories? Rumors? Nothing definitive? Is that correct?

17 minutes ago, darksabre said:

All I can tell you is that the stories are not made up. Obviously you don't have to believe me.

1 minute ago, Weave said:

Try searching using Rochester D&C as keywords as well.  I seem to recall there was some newspaper coverage of the shenanigans.  Whether it was TBN or D&C, I don't remember.  But the situation did get media coverage.  The coverage was light on details, and heavy on presumption if I remember correctly.  Gist of it was, COR was not a good host or good mentor to Nylander and appears to have went out of his way to make things quite miserable.

As I recall, as Weave mentioned, Kevin O had some articles about the situation.  Nearly certain the bus cleaning incidents were reported under his byline.  But couldn't find links to those with a quick search. 

Recall reading about the bus cleaning incidents from sources other than here and Kevin O as well.

And if you want to consider them just rumors, that is your prerogative.

25 minutes ago, darksabre said:

All I can tell you is that the stories are not made up. Obviously you don't have to believe me.

8 minutes ago, Weave said:

I am in no way saying either of you are making anything up. Let me be clear on that.

i just asked for the source and link to the story so I can digest what’s being claimed.

1 minute ago, Zamboni said:

I am in no way saying either of you are making anything up. Let me be clear on that.

i just asked for the source and link to the story so I can digest what’s being claimed.

It's 2 or 3 years old now, and AHL news.  Links are tough to come by.  I suspect alot of it was archived.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.