The 2019 Stanley Cup Final. St Louis vs Boston

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Part of it comes from a baseball mindset. It’s my favorite sport and what I follow most closely. I’ll be damned if some dirty American League team wins the WS, so I always pull for the National League. If I’m going to pull for a home league/conference, why not extrapolate that all the way to division (though I couldn’t stomach an NLE win right now, less the Nats). What’s good enough for one sport is good enough for the other. I’d rather Boston win the next ten cups than ten teams without cups (since 1970 to include the leafs) win one. Maybe I’m petty. Maybe it’s a bit of schadenfreude. But so long as my teams aren’t winning, let those with wins keep winning.

Fair enough. Thanks for explaining. We'll never agree but I understand the mindset. I think my hate for Boston trumps everything else because I can see no situation where I'd root for them. 

5 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Except every time they win it fuels the hatred even more. I’d rather feel hatred towards a rival than disappointed over yet another team coming into yet another league and winning a championship before my teams do. 

I'm already at maximum hate for Boston and have been for years. I'd root for ISIS over Boston as well as Hitler, Kim Jong Un, Vladimir Putin, and the Devil himself.

Edited by Drunkard
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Boston and St Louis are the only 2 cities to meet in the Stanley Cup Finals, World Series, NBA Championship and Super Bowl

And look what's happened the most recent of each of those meetings.  Not good.

1 minute ago, Beer said:

As a resident of Boston, I hope the Blues win.  This city is spoiled with Championships.  

Good man. I'll make sure to send you an evacuation notice before the locusts, plague, and zombies are released upon your town as long as you don't tell your neighbors why you're leaving.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Drunkard said:

I'm already at maximum hate for Boston and have been for years. I'd root for ISIS over Boston as well as Hitler, Kim Jong Un, Vladimir Putin, and the Devil himself.

A Memphis play by play guy in the 70's frequently said "I'd root for Russia against Louisville"

I always put the Blues in a special category along with the Canucks--I see them both as sibling franchises to the Sabres.

We all came into the league around the same time and none of us have won a Cup.

Further, Vancouver and St. Louis have never really done anything bad against the Sabres, so I like them more than most franchises.

So we will get a repeat of the 1970 Stanley Cup finals.  I hope it goes the other way around this time.

5 hours ago, Neo said:

Go Blues, but there will always be ...

214FB6A8-DBD6-4369-B5E0-6B41CC20E267.jpeg

When I was a kid Bobby Orr was the reason I got into hockey.  Fabulous talent.  Dominant player. 

Once the Sabres came along Boston became my second most hated team, after the Leaves.  Nothing has changed.

Lets Go Blues!!!  

3 hours ago, wingnut said:

If I had a gun with two bullets, and I was stuck in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and the Toronto Maple Leafs, I'd shoot the Boston Bruins twice.

I used to have that sort of hate for them, but it has been so long since we have been engaged in a meaningful rivalry with them, I just see them as another team now.  

Same for Montreal, who I used to despise even worse than the Bruins.

In fact, we have been so bad for so long now I am not sure I really hate anyone in the league.  That stuff all fades with the passage of time.  I think the only team left is TO, and that's only because of their many classless fans that invade our building and behave like animals.

I never really had anything against the Leafs themselves, as in my mind they are a Norris division team in the other conference and our paths just don't cross that much.  Well, that's how it always used to be anyway!  

I have a lot of friends from Boston.  I always root for Boston to lose unless they make it to the Finals.  In this case, I want them to win because I don't mind being happy for my friends now that the Bruins have basically been giving me the finger all of the playoffs.  They are the kind of friends who would be the same way were the roles reversed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.