The ROR trade sucked thread

LGR4GM

On 6/9/2019 at 2:34 PM, dejeanerret said:

This is why some Sabres fans are so sad.  They whine and cry about a player's attitude and demand he get's traded.  Everyone was laughing at the trade when St. Louis was in last and the Sabres were in first, saying "told you so" to the Blues.

Now he's on the verge of a Stanley Cup and the trade is the worst in team history.

I was a proponent of trading OReilly at the time.  I felt you couldn't have a player like that in the lockerroom who is looked upon as a leader.  It's a culture killer, and one of the reasons why the Avs wanted him out of Colorado.

In hindsight, it seems that Housley's coaching style may have been the culture killer, and OReilly's comments may have been more of an indictment on that, then the type of attitude and mental toughness he possesses.

Had the Sabres not traded OReilly, they may have been better last season.  But it was obvious he wasn't a fit with Housley, so who knows. 

As for the trade, while Sobotka and Bergland were disappointments, I'm excited about Tage Thompson and the 1st we received.  It's too early to tell whether we won or lost the trade because the main pieces in the trade were a focused on the future.  3-4 years for now we'll know.

A perfect world would have OReilly on a team with a coack like Krueger, whose more of a mental coach than Housley.  But bottom line it's done, and to continue to whine and complain about it is one of the reasons why Buffalo fans are looked upon as whiners and complainers.  It's easy to criticize in hindsight.  We all make decisions at our jobs that may look bad at some point, then look good months later.  Or just end up not working out.  Sports is not different.

Let it go.  Move on.

We lost the trade.

• Like (+1) 4

On 6/4/2019 at 7:31 PM, Claude_Verret said:

This much I know..

The trade sucked donkey balls.

It's over and done. Spilt milk and all that.

A sliver of a silver lining can still be achieved if ROR helps deny the Bruins the Cup.

Thank you ROR for putting in a Conn Smythe performance and ***** the Bruins right where they breathe!

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ... said:

All...summer...long.

As I said in the game thread, there is no way the Sabres were in a position to do what the Blues did.  In no position to capitalize on what ROR brings.  The comparisons are folly and thoroughly ridiculous.

And? That doesn't mitigate the trade being a disaster, in the slightest.

Just now, Thorny said:

And? That doesn't mitigate the trade being a disaster, in the slightest.

Hey man, why don't you go do something about it then in the real world.  Otherwise, the persistent bitching here isn't going to change or do jack-sh%t to what is.

Just now, ... said:

Hey man, why don't you go do something about it then in the real world.  Otherwise, the persistent bitching here isn't going to change or do jack-sh%t to what is.

The funniest thing is, I think those speaking calmly about how terrible of a trade it was are the ones least in their feels about it. The ones screaming to "GET OVER IT!" seem Big mad. 

• Like (+1) 2

Murray traded away all the stockpiled assets from “the tank” and left this team devoid of talent outside the top line. I would have rathered sat through a long rebuild with young players developing, than how Murray tried to jump start the rebuild by acquiring Kane, O’Reilly and Lehner.

Just now, ... said:

Right.  The proper attitude is that the Sabres have not been, nor will be (over the next 5 years)  in any position to take advantage of a player of O'Reilly's caliber.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

The funniest thing is, I think those speaking calmly about how terrible of a trade it was are the ones least in their feels about it. The ones screaming to "GET OVER IT!" seem Big mad. 

The hyperbole in this post hurts.  Ow.

4 minutes ago, ... said:

And isn't this the wrong thread to be taking issue with what I said? lmao

Edited by Thorny

The entirety of the first 8 years of the Pegula's ownership finally peaks and culminates with a highly touted player winning both the Conn Smythe and the Cup 1 year after being sent packing lol

More and more now, I think about PA and his early posts about the Pegula's, long before I joined here, I would read them. They were suspect on so many decisions, but this one will definitely go down in the annals of Sabres history.

Bad trade? Oh yea. But, not the end of this story to be sure, as we continue to live in the basement of the NHL, we watch in pure awe as other players will follow in O'Reilly's footsteps to be sure. We haven't Suffered enough, as Reiger would tell us.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, jad1 said:

Right.  The proper attitude is that the Sabres have not been, nor will be (over the next 5 years)  in any position to take advantage of a player of O'Reilly's caliber.

Sour grapes lower your IQ.  

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

And isn't this the wrong thread to be taking issue with what I said? lmao

Are you a moderator?

2 minutes ago, ... said:

Sour grapes lower your IQ.  

Are you a moderator?

No I mean like I think going into a thread about why the trade sucked and complaining about people saying the trade sucked seems a little....counterproductive. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Fans aren’t mad that O’Reilly won the cup.

They’re mad that it was his reward for divorcing the Sabres, and that hits to close to their cores.

I think some people are just mad at management for making it happen, or maybe just like me and not mad at all, but find the topic of just how vastly one-sided the trade was fascinating. 

As saying in the other thread, a situation like this has never really happened before. It could be a 30 for 30. 

There's being a Sabres fan and there's also being a hockey fan in a more general sense. It's quite the story.

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Leafs fans must be dying inside over taking Tavares over Bozak.

Tavares. Thompson, NHL players are named and ranked alphabetically in order of talent, right? ?

Edited by Thorny
  • Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I think some people are just mad at management for making it happen, or maybe just like me and not mad at all, but find the topic of just how vastly one-sided the trade was fascinating. 

As saying in the other thread, a situation like this has never really happened before. It could be a 30 for 30. 

There's being a Sabres fan and there's also being a hockey fan in a more general sense. It's quite the story.

On the flip side, you got to hand it to Tim Murray for trading a bunch of nobodies for a future Conn Smythe winner.....

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Well True, now's your time to shine

I feel like him hoisting the Cup and the Conn Smythe is the only dunking I need to do. People will either admit how tragically wrong they were and learn from it, or craft some hilariously inept rationalizations how he's a different player there. 

2 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I feel like him hoisting the Cup and the Conn Smythe is the only dunking I need to do. People will either admit how tragically wrong they were and learn from it, or craft some hilariously inept rationalizations how he's a different player there. 

I don't think anyone is saying that. That's why we're pissed.

If only his wife was a republican.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.