The ROR trade sucked thread

LGR4GM

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Laugh all you want but you're 100% wrong on this. 

What if you give Reinhart 8 years at 7 million. He stays around 50 points the entire deal. Or you can bridge him, motivate him a little more, and then give him an 8 year deal for 8.5. He's now a better player. You kept him for 10 years not 8, and you have a 65 point guy not a 50point. It's a win. 

You'd be judging botterill all to hell if sam dropped a 50pt year at ROR money. 

Maybe at the time. But I'd be laughing now after the season he just put up. Isn't it Botterill's job to get it right for now and the future and not just through the prism of the current moment?

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Reinhart wasn't getting 7 million coming off 50 points. 

We were looking at 5-6 million per as opposed to 7-8 now. 

Botterill missed. 

LOL at Botterill getting credit for turning Sam into the player he is by bridging him. Good grief. What a straw man. 

It's a straw man to see that a guy not getting a huge deal motivated him? Gtfo.

Also where can I buy your hindsight glasses? Ebay or revisionisthistory.com?

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It's a straw man to see that a guy not getting a huge deal motivated him? Gtfo.

Also where can I buy your hindsight glasses? Ebay or revisionisthistory.com?

You want a GM who makes the right move, in hindsight. Not one who just made the right move as it appeared at the time. That's exactly what he's being PAID for. Most can analyze all the current information, it's the prognostication that is the variable in question, here. 

A good GM can do both. 

You can curse at me like a child all you want, it doesn't strengthen your argument. 

Edited by Thorny

35 minutes ago, Thorny said:

You want a GM who makes the right move, in hindsight. Not one who just made the right move as it appeared at the time. That's exactly what he's being PAID for. Most can analyze all the current information, it's the prognostication that is the variable in question, here. 

A good GM can do both. 

You can curse at me like a child all you want, it doesn't strengthen your argument. 

It wasn't like a child. More like a laughing playful gtfo. 

I think he made the right move in hindsight. 

It's amazing to me that anyone can say this was something other than a horrible trade based on what we know. What we know. Not what we think, or hope, or imagine, or conjecture. What we know is we gave up a Selke-caliber center for a big pile of garbage. Maybe something great emerges from that pile, but garbage is garbage until it isn't. And not a moment sooner. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

It's amazing to me that anyone can say this was something other than a horrible trade based on what we know. What we know. Not what we think, or hope, or imagine, or conjecture. What we know is we gave up a Selke-caliber center for a big pile of garbage. Maybe something great emerges from that pile, but garbage is garbage until it isn't. And not a moment sooner. 

I'm guessing Radar is still interpreting ROR's locker cleanout comments as him quitting on team, regardless of the fact that his production and effort right down to the very end indicates otherwise.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I'm guessing Radar is still interpreting ROR's locker cleanout comments as him quitting on team, regardless of the fact that his production and effort right down to the very end indicates otherwise.

Just talked to myself. My previous post was sarcastic. In reality the ROR trade may be one of the worst in team history. It's over and done with though. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Lol ***** Reinhart's contract is poor. His next contract could be but I'd bet 0 people on this board projected Sam to 65 points. Many were pleased with the bridge and should be pleased Sam out played it and we have the potential to have another year of cheap Sam

Every time someone tries to say nonsense like this it’s disputed by plenty of posters. And people try to say nonsense like this all the time. Just because you like the deal doesn’t mean everyone else did. Plenty of posters wanted a long term deal for Sam. Plenty of posters saw Sam performing the exact way that he did. Great, two years of “cheap” Sam just to pay eight years of an inflated Sam. He’s going to cost at least $12m more now than he would have signing a long term deal. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Every time someone tries to say nonsense like this it’s disputed by plenty of posters. And people try to say nonsense like this all the time. Just because you like the deal doesn’t mean everyone else did. Plenty of posters wanted a long term deal for Sam. Plenty of posters saw Sam performing the exact way that he did. Great, two years of “cheap” Sam just to pay eight years of an inflated Sam. He’s going to cost at least $12m more now than he would have signing a long term deal. 

I'll take Reinhart and his bridge plus 8 years. He earned a bridge and that's what he got. 

If botterill does this right we'll have 10 years of Sam. Also, it's funny to see ppl mad about a contract that Reinhart hasn't signed.

I like the bridge. It was the correct move. It's only inflated if he doesn't live up to it. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Lol ***** Reinhart's contract is poor. His next contract could be but I'd bet 0 people on this board projected Sam to 65 points. Many were pleased with the bridge and should be pleased Sam out played it and we have the potential to have another year of cheap Sam

Actually, there were at least 5 people that predicted that on the 1st page of the predictions page alone.

Still expect that the proper play long run was a 6-7 year deal at somewhere between $5.5MM- $6.25MM/yr.  The ~$4MM saved over the life of the 1st 2 years when cap space wasn't/won't be critical will get swallowed up by ~$6MM+ extra that will be spent over the next 4 years when cap space is more critical. As for years 8-10, that's too far down the road to be able to say confidently where his deal (should there even be one) would end up.

And not a believer of the theory that this bridge deal made Reinhart "hungry."  He stunk coming out of the gate just like he always has.  (1-9-10 though 20% of the season may not have "stunk" but that projects to 5-46-51 for a full year which definitely isn't top line material.  And waaaay down on goals from where he's been.)  Then got into a groove as the season went along.  Then had more of a falling off at the end than seems typical with a final weekend rebound.  Not the scoring pattern I'd've expected from somebody motivated to prove critics wrong, though it's possible; doesn't seem probable.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Actually, there were at least 5 people that predicted that on the 1st page of the predictions page alone.

Still expect that the proper play long run was a 6-7 year deal at somewhere between $5.5MM- $6.25MM/yr.  The ~$4MM saved over the life of the 1st 2 years when cap space wasn't/won't be critical will get swallowed up by ~$6MM+ extra that will be spent over the next 4 years when cap space is more critical. As for years 8-10, that's too far down the road to be able to say confidently where his deal (should there even be one) would end up.

And not a believer of the theory that this bridge deal made Reinhart "hungry."  He stunk coming out of the gate just like he always has.  (1-9-10 though 20% of the season may not have "stunk" but that projects to 5-46-51 for a full year which definitely isn't top line material.  And waaaay down on goals from where he's been.)  Then got into a groove as the season went along.  Then had more of a falling off at the end than seems typical with a final weekend rebound.  Not the scoring pattern I'd've expected from somebody motivated to prove critics wrong, though it's possible; doesn't seem probable.

We were a more optimistic bunch back then. 

I think 5.5 was low but 6mil might have been in the ballpark. Also I don't think he goes 6mil x8, you are talking 6mil times 5-6years. It is really hard trying to bag on this deal in hindsight IMPO. It was the right deal and he can get extended this summer. 

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

We were a more optimistic bunch back then. 

I think 5.5 was low but 6mil might have been in the ballpark. Also I don't think he goes 6mil x8, you are talking 6mil times 5-6years. It is really hard trying to bag on this deal in hindsight IMPO. It was the right deal and he can get extended this summer. 

Agreed that there was no way he'd take $6/ for 8 years, but for 6 or 7 years IMHO that was very realistic.

Will agree to disagree about whether the bridge deal was a good choice.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

Probably the worst trade since Long Island was traded for a necklace of shells.

That trade was worth than you think, cuz it was Manhattan they traded for shells. I actually think they got the better of us on Long Island.

On 6/2/2019 at 6:49 AM, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I wonder if ROR will lose his love for the game after they get throttled the next 2 games. 

It probably sucks more getting to the show and crashing, instead of knowing that you won't even get invited. 

maybe you'll be correct with the next 2 games, he seemed ok tonight.

ROR wasn't the reason they were losing.     Why he was traded, we'll probably never know.. but to think JBOT would pull the trigger on a trade because of what was said in the locker room cleanout media scrum is just being naive.      It was most likely due to several factors... his lack of straight-away speed (Housley's "system"), his lifestyle choices, and the very likely possibility that he asked to be traded.      It sucks, yeah, but I'm glad he's in the right situation... surrounded by experienced vets who allow him to be himself.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.