The ROR trade sucked thread

LGR4GM

5 minutes ago, darksabre said:

And honestly, GMTM probably would have gotten more time if he had been better at the actual day to day management part of the job. He was focused on talent evaluation and probably was doing okay at it. But having no idea what was going on with Bylsma and his team was what got him fired.

Botterill will get more time than GMTM simply by actually doing every part of his job and doing it professionally.

I don't think he necessarily gets the 4th year Murray never got, particularly when giving him 3 years to try and win is actually already one more than Murray had, seeing as how 14/15 was an intentionally lose-season.

7 minutes ago, Weave said:

Maybe you misunderstood?  Gio and Jack didn't get along because Gio didn't like Jack's approach to the game, just like ROR didn't like Jack's approach to the game.

Frankly, I don't much like Jack's approach to the game.

What do we know about Jack's approach to the game? He's gotten better every year, in every aspect of the game. Certainly not the kind of trajectory you'd likely see from somebody not honing his craft. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I don't think he necessarily gets the 4th year Murray never got, particularly when giving him 3 years to try and win is actually already one more than Murray had, seeing as how 14/15 was an intentionally lose-season.

We'll see. Either way, I think if he doesn't piss the Pegulas off he'll get more leash than GMTM did. 

3 minutes ago, darksabre said:

We'll see. Either way, I think if he doesn't piss the Pegulas off he'll get more leash than GMTM did. 

You are probably right. 

For better, or worse. 

Edited by Thorny

5 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

What do we know about Jack's approach to the game? He's gotten better every year, in every aspect of the game. Certainly not the kind of trajectory you'd likely see from somebody not honing his craft. 

I'm talking in game. 

11 hours ago, dudacek said:

That’s his son, dad says.

“There was a picture of him in Colorado when they lost and he just takes it all on,” said Brian O’Reilly. “It’s the same thing in Buffalo, if the team was losing, he would take it personally. Give me a group of athletes that completely hate losing. I’d rather those athletes than athletes that kind of expect to win because they’re more talented. At this level, if you don’t do the hard work, it doesn’t matter how much talent you have. You have to do the hard work.”

Hmmm. Ya don’t say?

11 hours ago, Weave said:

Maybe you misunderstood?  Gio and Jack didn't get along because Gio didn't like Jack's approach to the game, just like ROR didn't like Jack's approach to the game.

Frankly, I don't much like Jack's approach to the game.

Totally misunderstood (and was confused as a result). Thanks for clarifying.

10 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

10 hours ago, Weave said:

I'm talking in game. 

My theory on Eichel is that, a combination of natural talent, a strong desire to win, and just plain ol’ temperament and personality, are combining to create the player we’ve seen so far. A wonderful talent who does keep improving.

Does he hate to lose though? Or does he love to win? I think there’s a difference in there.

On 6/6/2019 at 10:41 PM, Neo said:

The circumstances around each of O’Reilly’s acquisition, time here, and departure are among the oddest in Sabres history.  It’s like he and Buffalo intersected, and there was a glitch in the Matrix.  Buffalo was the other side of Ryan’s Looking Glass, OZ to his Kansas.  Where’s Flagg or IKP?  I need a unifying theorem.

Schadenfreude is a burden.   Good for him .... 

Oh man...I could give you one if you really want it...it's all done and sitting somewhere else 

It's actually funny that you mention this because right around the time of this post I was just finishing up a rather bloated Flagg-style adventure on the topic, which was cathartic and allowed me to move on and enjoy the loser cancer's Conn Smythe, Cup, and Selke

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Oh man...I could give you one if you really want it...it's all done and sitting somewhere else 

It's actually funny that you mention this because right around the time of this post I was just finishing up a rather bloated Flagg-style adventure on the topic, which was cathartic and allowed me to move on and enjoy the loser cancer's Conn Smythe, Cup, and Selke

I will never enjoy them.

Edited by SwampD

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

So the trade is officially complete. 

ROR for Ryan Johnson, Colin Miller, Tage Thompson, Sobotka and Berglund. 

Not really - if the second rounder is allowed to be changed to something else, we technically have to wait for every single piece involved to retire before we can say it's complete.

8 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Not really - if the second rounder is allowed to be changed to something else, we technically have to wait for every single piece involved to retire before we can say it's complete.

It’s complete from a Sabres Standpoint as there does not appear to be any conditions attached to it.

However since the Actual Pick won’t be made for two years you are correct. 

23 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Also it's ROR and a 5th no? 

But looking at it that way, it doesn't seem so bad. 

... Still sucks, unless we win the cup this year because of Montour and Miller. 

It's still awful. We are looking for a 2nd line C and we traded the Cup winning MVP and best defensive F in the league

5 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

When did we trade Bergeron?

Bergeron was the best defensive forward in the league.  He has slipped a bit and his whole game slipped in the SCF.  ROR has the Selke, the Stanley Cup, and the Calder Trophy too.   He is on a level with Bergeron and his game is rising.  

Ryan Johnson, Miller, and Tage will collectively have a very hard time ever achieving what ROR did last season.   It will be three years before we see Ryan Johnson in the NHL, if we ever do.  By then who knows what becomes of Miller and Tage.  

The trade was terrible and the worst part is the dysfunction of not knowing what we had and then trading it away for scraps.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Bergeron was the best defensive forward in the league.  He has slipped a bit and his whole game slipped in the SCF.  ROR has the Selke, the Stanley Cup, and the Calder Trophy too.   He is on a level with Bergeron and his game is rising.  

Ryan Johnson, Miller, and Tage will collectively have a very hard time ever achieving what ROR did last season.   It will be three years before we see Ryan Johnson in the NHL, if we ever do.  By then who knows what becomes of Miller and Tage.  

The trade was terrible and the worst part is the dysfunction of not knowing what we had and then trading it away for scraps.  

We'll agree to disagree. We can revisit this when(if) ROR gets his 4th Selke. Too much applause for him when others made at least as much contributions to the Blues success. Just want to spread the hoorahs around to some deserving players and coach.

18 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

We'll agree to disagree. We can revisit this when(if) ROR gets his 4th Selke. Too much applause for him when others made at least as much contributions to the Blues success. Just want to spread the hoorahs around to some deserving players and coach.

ROR should have been a Selke candidate when he played for the Sabres. Awards go the the players of teams that win.

• Like (+1) 3

18 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Bergeron was the best defensive forward in the league.  He has slipped a bit and his whole game slipped in the SCF.  

Bergeron was playing hurt in the final.   

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/news/stanley-cup-final-bruins-patrice-bergeron-confirms-he-played-through-groin-injury/8milpcf9kbyr1fmxd7857ex4t

Other articles have said the entire so called Perfection Line was playing hurt, hence their decreased production. Doesn't really matter, but I still think when healthy, Bergeron is the best and better than ROR. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.