The ROR trade sucked thread

LGR4GM

2 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

I swear by all that is holy, the ROR love-train both on this board and in the media at large is making me actively want the bruins to win. Now if you’ll excuse me, I must be off to engage in several hours of vigorous self-flagellaton.  

At least you accept that you need to atone for your unclean thoughts....

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

I swear by all that is holy, the ROR love-train both on this board and in the media at large is making me actively want the bruins to win. Now if you’ll excuse me, I must be off to engage in several hours of vigorous self-flagellaton.  

If you actively tried to be more bitter, do you think you could be? 

• Haha (+1) 1

The circumstances around each of O’Reilly’s acquisition, time here, and departure are among the oddest in Sabres history.  It’s like he and Buffalo intersected, and there was a glitch in the Matrix.  Buffalo was the other side of Ryan’s Looking Glass, OZ to his Kansas.  Where’s Flagg or IKP?  I need a unifying theorem.

Schadenfreude is a burden.   Good for him .... 

If St. Louis win, ROR gets the Conn Smythe right?

he is currently their top point scorer, has had four points to take STL from 2-1 down to 3-2 up and been a beast defensively.

what a relief we got rid of his cancerous presence 

Edited by Trettioåtta
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

9 hours ago, #freejame said:

Is today the worst meme day in board history? I feel like I’m back in 2013. 

Who knows. I was a little inebriated when I posted it, but it fit my mood perfectly because I was happy to see O'Reilly help beat Boston last night.

This is why some Sabres fans are so sad.  They whine and cry about a player's attitude and demand he get's traded.  Everyone was laughing at the trade when St. Louis was in last and the Sabres were in first, saying "told you so" to the Blues.

Now he's on the verge of a Stanley Cup and the trade is the worst in team history.

I was a proponent of trading OReilly at the time.  I felt you couldn't have a player like that in the lockerroom who is looked upon as a leader.  It's a culture killer, and one of the reasons why the Avs wanted him out of Colorado.

In hindsight, it seems that Housley's coaching style may have been the culture killer, and OReilly's comments may have been more of an indictment on that, then the type of attitude and mental toughness he possesses.

Had the Sabres not traded OReilly, they may have been better last season.  But it was obvious he wasn't a fit with Housley, so who knows. 

As for the trade, while Sobotka and Bergland were disappointments, I'm excited about Tage Thompson and the 1st we received.  It's too early to tell whether we won or lost the trade because the main pieces in the trade were a focused on the future.  3-4 years for now we'll know.

A perfect world would have OReilly on a team with a coack like Krueger, whose more of a mental coach than Housley.  But bottom line it's done, and to continue to whine and complain about it is one of the reasons why Buffalo fans are looked upon as whiners and complainers.  It's easy to criticize in hindsight.  We all make decisions at our jobs that may look bad at some point, then look good months later.  Or just end up not working out.  Sports is not different.

Let it go.  Move on.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

I don't think the fans pushed him out. The team did.

Sure. But fans certainly screamed endlessly about trading him for quite a while. Before and after the love of the game comments.

So let’s address that. Do we keep wanting to see players traded because we’re overly obsessed to the offseason and roster moves? It’s the only thing we’ve had to look forward to over the last near-decade.

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

Are we too obsessed with the offseason and roster moves? Is that why fans pushed him out?

If the fans pushed out RoR then JBott should be fired. No GM should take fans into consideration when making a deal. If the team wins, they’ll get over it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Sure. But fans certainly screamed endlessly about trading him for quite a while. Before and after the love of the game comments.

So let’s address that. Do we keep wanting to see players traded because we’re overly obsessed to the offseason and roster moves? It’s the only thing we’ve had to look forward to over the last near-decade.

I don't think it's that complicated. We want players traded because a. what other solution is there to the team being bad? and b. impatience. 

No fan wants to admit that a valid part of the solution to their team's problems is time.

On 5/24/2019 at 12:31 PM, darksabre said:

The thing people don't seem to understand about O'Reilly is that he's a human mood ring. He takes on the personality of the people around him and presents it as his own.

I know he gets praised for his leadership but it's not really a thing. The Blues already had leadership before he got there. Remember when he was moping with the rest of the team when they were at the bottom of the league?

If you want to know what kind of shape the rest of your team is in then take a look at O'Reilly and see how he's doing. 

I reiterate.

All...summer...long.

As I said in the game thread, there is no way the Sabres were in a position to do what the Blues did.  In no position to capitalize on what ROR brings.  The comparisons are folly and thoroughly ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.