The ROR trade sucked thread

LGR4GM

21 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

So what are the upsides still to the trade? 

Tage might still be good 

We saved money long term, I think? 

And that draft pick. 

So as bad as it looks now, it still might turn out in our favor long term. Who knows?!? 

I am pulling for the  Blues and ROR.  I don’t see the point in wishing bad on him when he played well for us, even when surrounded by bums.   

Some downsides to the trade are:

1. our GM got burned on his first big trade

2. We suffered the indignity of Berglund leaving us and many millions behind   

3.  We got to watch Sobotka play way too many minutes  

4.  The draft pick is a essentially a second round pick with an approximate 45% chance of ever playing in the NHL. (I found this tidbit of information on the internet so it must be true) 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I sure would like to know understand what really motivated the trade.

Was it that season ending interview I lost my love for hockey, did he really think he was done and that bad or did some one of the owners help make that decision ?

I guess we will never know but boy it sure looks like we got hornswoggled. 

• Awesome! (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I am pulling for the  Blues and ROR.  I don’t see the point in wishing bad on him when he played well for us, even when surrounded by bums.   

Some downsides to the trade are:

2. We suffered the indignity of Berglund leaving us and many millions behind   

So this point is interesting. Jbott cant be blamed for that can he? And how important was Berglund leaving? Was it when he left that we got really bad and never recovered? Is there some relationship between him leaving and team going south? Maybe not that he made a big difference, but maybe something else happened that shook the team? Totally speculating of course. 

I just wonder if there is more to this story with this guy and the team. 

4 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

So this point is interesting. Jbott cant be blamed for that can he? And how important was Berglund leaving? Was it when he left that we got really bad and never recovered? Is there some relationship between him leaving and team going south? Maybe not that he made a big difference, but maybe something else happened that shook the team? Totally speculating of course. 

I just wonder if there is more to this story with this guy and the team. 

I thought we had a very good fourth line with Berglund on it.  And we were winning at the time that Berglund was playing , but I would not dare to correlate the two.  The team collapsed because they could not play tight, responsible, consistent  hockey. 

No, I don’t think we can blame JBot for the situation.   The story on Berglund is that he made  more money than he can spend and he really wanted to go home. 

I’m still in monsoon season so when I read the title I thought “sucked thread”, WTF does that mean? 

I got it soon enough but was left wondering if this damn thing isn’t going to “suck thread” for years to come?  

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Idk why it's so hard to click start new thread but here...

The ROR trade was bad. Do you think botterill is incompetent and do you feel worse if ROR wins the cup?

The trade was bad.

It shouldn't be a reflection on Botterill right now.  But it's a bad look.

I hope St Louis wins, ROR was my favorite Sabre.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's not forget that Kane was also playing in the conference finals, and that trade sucked too.

If Botterill doesn't sign Skinner, he will have let almost 100 goals walk off the roster for practically nothing.

But he was able to snag that EPL guy to coach this mess, so great GM I guess.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, jad1 said:

Let's not forget that Kane was also playing in the conference finals, and that trade sucked too.

If Botterill doesn't sign Skinner, he will have let almost 100 goals walk off the roster for practically nothing.

But he was able to snag that EPL guy to coach this mess, so great GM I guess.

I think it’s early to be calling the O’Reilly trade one of the Sabres worst ever, although it certainly was terrible for this year’s Sabres. While O’Reilly for Thompson, a very late 1st, a 2nd and (unexpected) cap space looks terrific for the Blues regardless of what happens down the road, the Sabres can salvage something from it depending on what those assets become

I think  the Kane trade, which ultimately turned into Kane and Guhle for Montour and O’Regan looks to be a pretty good hockey trade for the Sabres. Sign Skinner, or a good free agent replacement with the cap space and flip the picks for a Montour-level player and the ROR trade improves too. Just like the Skinner “steal” looks a helluva lot worse if Skinner walks.

Weeding out the chaff, Botterill’s trade record looks something like this overall: O’Reilly, Kane, Foligno and Guhle for Skinner, Montour, Scandella, Thompson, Sheary, and a late 1st.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think it’s early to be calling the O’Reilly trade one of the Sabres worst ever, although it certainly was terrible for this year’s Sabres. While O’Reilly for Thompson, a very late 1st, a 2nd and (unexpected) cap space looks terrific for the Blues regardless of what happens down the road, the Sabres can salvage something from it depending on what those assets become

I think  the Kane trade, which ultimately turned into Kane and Guhle for Montour and O’Regan looks to be a pretty good hockey trade for the Sabres. Sign Skinner, or a good free agent replacement with the cap space and flip the picks for a Montour-level player and the ROR trade improves too. Just like the Skinner “steal” looks a helluva lot worse if Skinner walks.

Weeding out the chaff, Botterill’s trade record looks something like this overall: O’Reilly, Kane, Foligno and Guhle for Skinner, Montour, Scandella, Thompson, Sheary, and a late 1st.

Kane was an expiring asset in a buyer’s market. 

• Like (+1) 1

If you think about it and look at the pieces we got, it really makes you think.

Berglund, Tage Thompson, a pick, Vlad. That’s four pieces. Two veterans, a talented rookie and a first. Two guys who have won playoff games, a kid who is pretty cute and maybe another kid who is also cute. Berglund and Vlad are good looking men, too.

When you look at it, it really boils down to this: Botterill messed up, this trade sucks.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Bet money he got his love for the game back since getting out of  loser-ville.  But on a serious note, this trade set us back 2 years easy, messed up a good young prospect, and may ultimately cost Jbot his job if this new coach don’t work out.  Yes in my view the trade was THAT bad.  Those kind of 2 way centers don’t grow on trees and we shipped him off for garbage.  And no, Montour is still unproven and we way more need a stud 2C which is way more important.  

Edited by Gatorman0519
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, jad1 said:

Sounds like the way a horrible GM with an MBA would describe it.

I guess we could compare and contrast that to the petulance of a whining fan. I’m sure you have a dozen or more fantasy trades that could have been easily made if he just clicked his heels together. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, SDS said:

I guess we could compare and contrast that to the petulance of a whining fan. I’m sure you have a dozen or more fantasy trades that could have been easily made if he just clicked his heels together. 

Whatever floats your boat.  

I guess I wouldn't characterize fans who have followed this team the last 8 years as "whining" or "petulant," but I guess that's also an opinion to be shared on a message board.

Edited by jad1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

I’ve changed my position on this trade.  I defended it earlier this year, but it’s definitely one sided.  ROR was one of many things that came together for this team.  Goaltending and a new coach didn’t hurt.  I only hope this ‘swing and miss’ does not affect JB in his aggressiveness this summer.  He needs to use that aggression on a team that is Salary Cap challenged.  

I wish our pick was better but I would no sooner cheer for a Boston team than drink my own urine.   I despise their organization and all other sports team of that city.  Best of luck ROR. FU Boston.

• Like (+1) 3

Course it was a bad trade, but he didn't have a choice. ROR wanted out and that was the best deal he could get before that signing bonus kicked in (which was an issue that came down from the top I am sure). 

I am personally more concerned over how less than stellar Eichel and Reinhart have looked (overall) at the worlds. If Skinner doesn't sign those are our so called young stars and there are quite a few guys from other teams out there looking much better. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, R_Dudley said:

I sure would like to know understand what really motivated the trade.

Was it that season ending interview I lost my love for hockey, did he really think he was done and that bad or did some one of the owners help make that decision ?

I guess we will never know but boy it sure looks like we got hornswoggled. 

Whether it was a ploy by ROR to get out of Loserville or not, the season ending comments were a bad look by a supposed leader of the team.  I think it was the right move to get rid of him, but there should’ve been a better return.

• Like (+1) 1

Carlo Colaiacovo tweet:

It’s crazy to think that the buffalo sabres traded this guy because he was sick of losing ?‍♂️

Absolutely love Ryan Oreilly and everything he brings to a team both on and off the ice #stlblues 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.