50th anniversary logo is out

PASabreFan

8 hours ago, Taro T said:

Don't really care what the goal celebration song happens to be as long as Jeremy White isn't celebrating it.

The current 1 is fine.  Blur's track was fine & so was "Lonely Boy."

And, the more often we hear whatever the #### it is, the better.  Haven't heard any of those nearly enough.

I would love to go back to song 2

8 hours ago, Taro T said:

Don't really care what the goal celebration song happens to be as long as Jeremy White isn't celebrating it.

The current 1 is fine.  Blur's track was fine & so was "Lonely Boy."

And, the more often we hear whatever the #### it is, the better.  Haven't heard any of those nearly enough.

It interesting to see how whatever he suggests instantly becomes the flavor of the week or hot move that must be made.  

The swords extending beyond the border of the shield are supposed to look like buffalo horns no? 

13 hours ago, Swordsman said:

Given the shield background with two crossed sabres that has a bit of a battle-cry-look, maybe it will inspire a change of the goal song to one of the rumored candidates at the time, "Swords of a Thousand Men"

If not, I hope someone in their marketing department recognizes it's time to ditch that terrible rap song they've been using since 2015. I don't care if the players may be fond of it - it's the fans that need to be considered and that selection was horrible. Entering an anniversary year and 'new era' with new coach, it's time for a new song.....or no song at all - just blast the horn 9-10 times like they do in some arenas and which worked great at the Aud.

The fans were considered with the goal song. The fans voted for the current goal song over the one you wanted. They were both options.

The fault falls with the Marketing Department or whomever made the initial list because all 12 songs (or however many choices they had to start) were garbage so people were stuck voting for the shiniest turd in the punch bowl.

On 5/19/2019 at 11:31 AM, inkman said:

This is just going to be a patch on the jersey, right?  A lot of people are acting as if this is the new jersey. It's still plausible they actually change to the royal blue. I'll even go as far as this patch would only work on the royal blue as the patch color would blend into the Navy jersey making it hard to see rather than stick out. Just a thought...

As an art person whose biggest freelance client is patches... this is what I would do. Contrast. Also, be a cheeky way to keep hopes down and then bam, royal blue...

As a Sabres fan... my hopes aren't high. 

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Drunkard said:

The fans were considered with the goal song. The fans voted for the current goal song over the one you wanted. They were both options.

The fault falls with the Marketing Department or whomever made the initial list because all 12 songs (or however many choices they had to start) were garbage so people were stuck voting for the shiniest turd in the punch bowl.

true...I would go with street fighting man...at least when they first come out on to the ice

3 hours ago, josie said:

As an art person whose biggest freelance client is patches... this is what I would do. Contrast. Also, be a cheeky way to keep hopes down and then bam, royal blue...

As a Sabres fan... my hopes aren't high. 

Seeing as how the Sabres really need no assistance keeping hopes down right now, this seems unlikely to me. They knew they'd be disappointing the fans by indicating the continuation of Navy with this release (or rather, they knew what the fans would infer), and if royal is still coming as a surprise, it was a bold and risky (un Sabres-like) move. Hopefully it happens but I agree with your last line on it. 

Edited by Thorny

16 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

TJ Luckman, a producer for WGR, brought up an interesting point, since the Sabres made a switch to the current uniform in 2017 they cannot officially change to royal blue until the 2020-21 Season. Can anyone confirm this? 

Would removing a 3rd jersey count as a full change?

3 hours ago, Drunkard said:

2 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

true...I would go with street fighting man...at least when they first come out on to the ice

Does anyone think about the other people in the arena or is the game day presentation supposed to be focused on the sole enjoyment for the person complaining?

Street Fighting Man... 1968. A song older than the Sabres. ? I wonder what percentage of people under the age of 40 even know that song? Nothing gets the young whipper snappers going like a good ol’ song from the 60s. Kids LOVE their grandparents music. 

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

Does anyone think about the other people in the arena or is the game day presentation supposed to be focused on the sole enjoyment for the person complaining?

Street Fighting Man... 1968. A song older than the Sabres. ? I wonder what percentage of people under the age of 40 even know that song? Nothing gets the young whipper snappers going like a good ol’ song from the 60s. Kids LOVE their grandparents music. 

The kids will be able to get past it depending on the song.  But that one is nowhere near a quick enough tempo to ever click with the audience as a whole.

17 minutes ago, SDS said:

I didn't advocate for oldies, I just mentioned that the options were not good. I'm sure someone can post a link to all the initial options but from what I remember it was slim pickings.

That DJ Kool Song was the only half way decent one of the options and it's 20 years old as well. I'd personally prefer something from the 90's-2000's-ish metal genre (Slayer, Manson, Pantera, System of a Down) that kicks into high gear right away, but that's me. More than anything, I was just letting Swordsman know the fans were able to vote on the decision.

18 minutes ago, Drunkard said:

I didn't advocate for oldies, I just mentioned that the options were not good. I'm sure someone can post a link to all the initial options but from what I remember it was slim pickings.

That DJ Kool Song was the only half way decent one of the options and it's 20 years old as well. I'd personally prefer something from the 90's-2000's-ish metal genre (Slayer, Manson, Pantera, System of a Down) that kicks into high gear right away, but that's me. More than anything, I was just letting Swordsman know the fans were able to vote on the decision.

The biggest issue with Let Me Clear My Throat is they picked the wrong time stamp. 

Worried about the continued use of grey in this. Hopefully it's just a reference to previous eras and won't be a part of a future logos and color schemes. I'd rank removing the grey trim around the logo almost as high a priority for future designs as reverting to Royal blue. The grey looks alright on official sweaters but awful when the logo is smaller (especially on hats).

On 5/18/2019 at 5:50 PM, LGR4GM said:

***** garbage that they didn't get the colors correct. Seriously ***** this. How mofo tone def can Pegula Sports get. Trash. 

I personally think it's perfect. It looks as bland and irrelevant as the Sabres franchise has looked for the past 48 seasons.

6 hours ago, SDS said:

Anyone with good taste in music appreciates it. When it was written means nothing....

14 hours ago, Patty16 said:

It interesting to see how whatever he suggests instantly becomes the flavor of the week or hot move that must be made.  

The swords extending beyond the border of the shield are supposed to look like buffalo horns no? 

Not sure about the horn thing.  Definitely possible.

As for Jeremy, like listening to him in the AM, though don't do it frequently.  But rarely, if ever, agree with his ideas to improve game day presentations.

10 hours ago, Marchand'sNose said:

I personally think it's perfect. It looks as bland and irrelevant as the Sabres franchise has looked for the past 48 seasons.

Harsh but accurate. The overall look of the logo is fine. Shields are in and they put a small buffalo flair on it. Some have suggested the jersey will be royal blue and the logo this but I don't think so. I think they will stick with navy because they just don't get it. 

17 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I’m not sure, he mentioned something about that particular navy design being the reason.  I really have no idea what constitutes a change in Jersey Design 

Looking closer, they also removed the pit stains and the silver/gray line that goes up the ribs.  So I guess there was some actual change 2 years ago.  Still, I bet the league would bend some rules if they had to for a big anniversary.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.