Botterill: Thoughts on Last Season

WildCard

How do you not catch the holes in your game? Do you not have an analytics department? How the ***** do you not notice the sky high sv% coupled with mediocre HDSC%? Hell most of us figured it out from our parents basement while eating hot pockets and playing video games. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

How do you not catch the holes in your game? Do you not have an analytics department? How the ***** do you not notice the sky high sv% coupled with mediocre HDSC%? Hell most of us figured it out from our parents basement while eating hot pockets and playing video games. 

Yeah, assuming these JBott quotes are accurate and not context sensitive, I'm not thrilled to learn this stuff is actually being used to explain away last season.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ... said:

Yeah, assuming these JBott quotes are accurate and not context sensitive, I'm not thrilled to learn this stuff is actually being used to explain away last season.

They were mediocre during the streak. Sometime during or after the league adjusted to their game. Housley spent 4 months playing Sobotka and Scandella more than Erod and Pilut while simultaneously not doing anything to adjust his system. It was all a cluster *****. 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, ... said:

Essentially the radio guys said: “the Sabres weren’t as good as their record said during their streak and not as bad as their record said during their collapse, do you agree?”

They also asked what does he need to fix.

I didn’t take “catching the holes” as the organization being unaware, more like the organization not addressing them. No indication of whether he was blaming coaches, players, management or all three.

Edited by dudacek

51 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Essentially the radio guys said: “the Sabres weren’t as good as their record said during their streak and not as bad as their record said during their collapse, do you agree?”

They also asked what does he need to fix.

I didn’t take “catching the holes” as the organization being unaware, more like the organization not addressing them. No indication of whether he was blaming coaches, players, management or all three.

Hmm...is he maybe not explaining away the season but justifying the firing of FHCPH?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

You forgot to mention that other thing we do in our parents' basements ...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, ... said:

Hmm...is he maybe not explaining away the season but justifying the firing of FHCPH?

That’s the impression I got as well. In particular when Botterill said Reinhart can drive his own line and Housley insisted on him being with Jack 

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, BuffalOhio said:

You forgot to mention that other thing we do in our parents' basements ...

Yeh I didn't do the things Doo talked about, but did do the other things..., sump pump closets cover up a lot of smells... zeppelin and, jefferson airplanes help you ride it out ?

I'm pretty sure he knows the real stuff and these sort of things are just empty media answers. He knows Casey was an inadequate 2C. He was hoping he'd be a rookie sensation but he knows he wasn't but he's not going to say it cause it makes himself and Casey look bad. So he's going to try to find a 2C but if he can't we will hear more stuff about developing our own players. Same for all other positions. It's good diplomacy, but ultimately empty and meaningless.

I think he blames himself for not being proactive throughout the season in acquiring much needed help.

But he also blames Housley for his system, his lack of in game adjustments, and not having the team  more ready when the puck dropped.

Our biggest need today (roster wise) is the same hole that was created on July 1st 2018. 2nd line center. JB better address it this summer. And if Skinner walks, that’s the next big hole.

I’m hopeful most of the other issues will get better or resolve itself with a new coach, staff and system.

13 hours ago, Zamboni said:

I think he blames himself for not being proactive throughout the season in acquiring much needed help.

But he also blames Housley for his system, his lack of in game adjustments, and not having the team  more ready when the puck dropped.

Our biggest need today (roster wise) is the same hole that was created on July 1st 2018. 2nd line center. JB better address it this summer. And if Skinner walks, that’s the next big hole.

I’m hopeful most of the other issues will get better or resolve itself with a new coach, staff and system.

Recall that I put a majority of the blame on this past year on Botterill; please take that bias into account in my comments below.

I really hope you are right, but if we assume your first paragraph and that he recognises the truth of your third, then it looks like he puts all the blame as described in the 2nd paragraph and the magical solution is the 4th.  If I had heard that news conference from one of my bosses or subordinates, I would think that s/he is trapped in an SEP field (cf. https://hitchhikers.fandom.com/wiki/Somebody_Else's_Problem_field) and doesn't want anyone else to see it, let alone get out of it.

9 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Were Jbot’s comments on Risto a little delusional?  What in Risto’s game has ever said he is going to develop beyond the offense.  There should be sign of.defensive improvement and their just isn’t.

As much as I love Risto's personality and sheer goofyness and hard on for Oveckin, wish he would play that way every game, still made some glaring turnovers... gotta hope Sabres can make a good trade using him and Borgen steps up.

14 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Were Jbot’s comments on Risto a little delusional?  What in Risto’s game has ever said he is going to develop beyond the offense.  There should be sign of.defensive improvement and their just isn’t.

Botterill and some other GMs see exactly what we see, he’s not going to come out and say his development has plateaued for the benefit those GMs who might trade for him. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.