Casey Mittelstadt: Our 2nd Line Center?

WildCard

A little context to the above because it is easy to interpret it as Botterill thinks Casey is next year's 2nd line centre.

It came after a question about Casey's development after a relatively disappointing season and his answer was basically "I still believe."

He said he wants a team where scoring is coming from all 4 lines, not just the first line, and that can happen from development or acquisition and hopefully both.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, dudacek said:

Botterill implied Mittelstadt’s conditioning needs work and that is his summer focus.

Makes sense. Was the same case with Eichel too. Every rookie, especially the ones coming from college, aren't used to that grind. They benefit immensely from a full offseason with a professional regiment and workout plan

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

Makes sense. Was the same case with Eichel too. Every rookie, especially the ones coming from college, aren't used to that grind. They benefit immensely from a full offseason with a professional regiment and workout plan

Yup. I think Casey's talent is in great shape. His body just needs to catch up. He's going to be a better all-around player this coming season and I'm genuinely excited about that. I, like Jason, believe in Casey.

• Like (+1) 5

Further on the Roy train, Roy played a full season in juniors when he was Casey’s age, had 19 points in 49 games the following year, was locked out the year after that, before putting up 46 in 70 coming out of the lockout.

Remember the good old days when players got better?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Am I the only person that thinks his 30 points in 83 games was actually right on the mark? A hair low but he had an awful Sheary for much of the year and whatever the hell happened on the right for the rest. 

I thought it was fine too. 

52 minutes ago, Weave said:

I’d be greatly disappointed if we go into next season without a viable 2C option to Casey.

He needs to play Derek Roy 06 next season and leave the heavier responsibility of 2C to an established 2C.

Ideally, JBOT brings in a player that can fill the 2C role until Casey is ready. Probably a 50 pt guy who's good in his own zone on a two year deal. Not sure who that'd be. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, sabills said:

I think J-Bot really expected Berglund to be able to fill that 2C/3C role last year and it just didn't happen. That's a bad look for Botteril, but I see where he was coming from a little. Hopefully he does better this time around.

Berglund gave him one hell of a parting gift though by getting that entire cap hit washed away.  You don't see that all too often.  Now we get to see if and how Botterill plans on using that gift.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, inkman said:

Ideally, JBOT brings in a player that can fill the 2C role until Casey is ready. Probably a 50 pt guy who's good in his own zone on a two year deal. Not sure who that'd be. 

Idk who it would be but I bet their name rhymes with buy-in o'highly

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

If you can see him getting around 50 points next year, then he really is our 2C.

Depending on his wingers, I think low 40's is probable. 

4 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

My concern is when Casey get hurt who is next?

And that is the depth issue within the system... not a lot of options at this point.  Need to draft a center with numero uno and sign an FA... but looking like Boldy maybe best choice at 7... ? conundrum

Edited by North Buffalo

Just now, North Buffalo said:

And that is the depth issue within the system... not a lot of options at this point.  Need at draft a center with numero uno and sign an FA... but looking like Boldy maybe best choice at 7... ? conundrum

YOU LIS'in'N Botts?

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

Yup. I think Casey's talent is in great shape. His body just needs to catch up. He's going to be a better all-around player this coming season and I'm genuinely excited about that. I, like Jason, believe in Casey.

I agree with this entirely.  Casey has creativity, he has drive and a desire to do things on the ice.  Unfortunately his body didn't always work at the same speed as his brain. Add to that the eventually drop in performance as the season goes on and the drop of the entire team and you get what you got. 

I'm excited about what he will do.  Even as early as next year.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Am I the only person that thinks his 30 points in 83 games was actually right on the mark? A hair low but he had an awful Sheary for much of the year and whatever the hell happened on the right for the rest. 

I think he's fine.  You could want more, but with the way the team finished out last year, was anyone really going to get "more".

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

right on the mark for a rookie first round pick in general, but not for one that was supposed to be our 2nd line center from the start.  I'm not worried about him yet. Still think he will be a good player.

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

A little context to the above because it is easy to interpret it as Botterill thinks Casey is next year's 2nd line centre.

It came after a question about Casey's development after a relatively disappointing season and his answer was basically "I still believe."

He said he wants a team where scoring is coming from all 4 lines, not just the first line, and that can happen from development or acquisition and hopefully both.

He may think that, though. He didn't exactly say otherwise. 

Agree with the rest of the post, though. 

3 hours ago, Weave said:

I’d be greatly disappointed if we go into next season without a viable 2C option to Casey.

He needs to play Derek Roy 06 next season and leave the heavier responsibility of 2C to an established 2C.

This exactly. 

3 hours ago, WildCard said:

Ironically Eichel had his healthiest season his first. 

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Definitely. It was the role Botterill was counting on him for that was the issue. Or the role he was counting on him and Berglund filling. Whichever, doesn't really matter. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.