Jump to content
Brawndo

2019-20 Trade Rumors And Speculation

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

 

Would cost us 4 1st rounders.  Worth it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tondas said:

Would cost us 4 1st rounders.  Worth it?

Yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Yes

Interesting take.  Is Marner  >  Nylander, Mitts, Rasmus, and Cozens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tondas said:

Interesting take.  Is Marner  >  Nylander, Mitts, Rasmus, and Cozens.

The better question is: does having Marner prevent us from getting top 10 draft picks the next 4 years?

Edited by erickompositör72
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Tondas said:

Would cost us 4 1st rounders.  Worth it?

With their contracts 4 first draft pick for them salvation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Tondas said:

Interesting take.  Is Marner  >  Nylander, Mitts, Rasmus, and Cozens.

Excellent articulation of the issue.  Certainly if we thought Rasmus and Cozens weren't going to far exceed Nylander and Mitts, we would do it in a second.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Humor me for a second: what if the league added incentive for teams around the league to offer sheet?

What if a team matches the offer sheet they must give the team signing the contract something?

This is way too complicated but... what if: team matching the offer sheet gives the offering team the right to swap firsts in the next draft.

BUT if you fail on an offer sheet you can’t do another for two seasons?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Excellent articulation of the issue.  Certainly if we thought Rasmus and Cozens weren't going to far exceed Nylander and Mitts, we would do it in a second.

I think it makes much more sense for an established playoff team, says the Caps or Pens, to give someone an offer sheet. They just need one more boost, at the expense of their future, to get them a cup. A basement dweller shouldn’t do this. Our team, for example, we are a perennial top 10 drafter. Do we really think we would be any better than this year’s Leafs if we had Marner? Likely not, and we would dumped our future because of it. We should leave such an offer sheet to wait until we have at least strung a couple playoff births in a row. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Humor me for a second: what if the league added incentive for teams around the league to offer sheet?

What if a team matches the offer sheet they must give the team signing the contract something?

This is way too complicated but... what if: team matching the offer sheet gives the offering team the right to swap firsts in the next draft.

BUT if you fail on an offer sheet you can’t do another for two seasons?

I agree with your sentiment, but it actually does not have to be that complicated. Just make the compensation a bit less.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I agree with your sentiment, but it actually does not have to be that complicated. Just make the compensation a bit less.

This is fair but then teams would match even more often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I agree with your sentiment, but it actually does not have to be that complicated. Just make the compensation a bit less.

 

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

This is fair but then teams would match even more often.

I think if the compensation were substantially less -- or zero, as in the NBA -- there would be many more offer sheets, and as a result the team with matching rights would find itself having to make hard salary cap choices more often, and more guys would inevitably change teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

 

I think if the compensation were substantially less -- or zero, as in the NBA -- there would be many more offer sheets, and as a result the team with matching rights would find itself having to make hard salary cap choices more often, and more guys would inevitably change teams.

The NHL seems, to me, so unique in how teams can rebound from one season to the next (or vise versa), and especially, how top-seeded teams can get eliminated in early rounds of the playoffs.

Is part of the RFA structure responsible for this? If so, don't change it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Brawndo said:

This guy is followed by a majority of the hockey insiders. 

I bet it's Ottawa. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, darksabre said:

I bet it's Ottawa. 

I'll go with Lou and the Islanders.  That would be a great story.  But the Isles are getting older and have some players that would be attractive to move if they need room.  Several of their players are on long tern contracts so there may not be room for up and comer from the farm.  They have cap space and the draft choices to do it.

Edited by Tondas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Tondas said:

I'll go with Lou and the Islanders.  That would be a great story.  But the Isles are getting older and have some players that would be attractive to move if they need room.  Several of their players are on long tern contracts so there may not be room for up and comer from the farm.  They have cap space and the draft choices to do it.

So do we.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Brawndo said:

 

I am so hoping it's 12 AAV or higher. I would like Dubas walking around like he was just alley dragged by a herd of Clydesdale.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Sabres made the offer, what is the max you'd be comfortable with?  11 million?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, darksabre said:

I bet it's Ottawa. 

Na no way, not with that owner. I'm betting Montreal

Edited by WildCard
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, GoPre said:

If the Sabres made the offer, what is the max you'd be comfortable with?  11 million?

No way it will be us.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I am so hoping it's 12 AAV or higher. I would like Dubas walking around like he was just alley dragged by a herd of Clydesdale.

I haven't gone to Cap friendly to confirm but I read on Sportsnet that Dubas' Cap Wizardry left them with $9.5M for Marner.

They are a Leafblower network, but Wizardry seemed like a strong word when they gave up Marleau and a 1st for some relief.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, kas23 said:

I think it makes much more sense for an established playoff team, says the Caps or Pens, to give someone an offer sheet. They just need one more boost, at the expense of their future, to get them a cup. A basement dweller shouldn’t do this. Our team, for example, we are a perennial top 10 drafter. Do we really think we would be any better than this year’s Leafs if we had Marner? Likely not, and we would dumped our future because of it. We should leave such an offer sheet to wait until we have at least strung a couple playoff births in a row. 

It makes sense in those teams needing the extra boost, but typically the good playoff teams are already close to the cap and couldn't make a big offer unless they are losing one of their top players and it could become a wash if they actually improve or not. For the bottom tier teams, they typically are the ones with the cap space but also would fear that they end up in Ottawa's situation this year where they almost gave away the #1 overall pick.

I don't think it's a bad move for the Sabres to offer sheet him, even if it is for 4 1sts. He doesn't make them worse then last year where they drafted 7th, adding him makes the forwards better. And he is an upgrade over Reinhart so if they move him to recoup some of what they gave up they are still good. 

As for the 2 C spot, they should be looking for decent veteran C that would sign a 2-3 year deal to fill the gap and hope Middlestat ends up taking the job before that contract is up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

 

I just looked, and holy crap do the Isles have some fugly contracts, at least one of which they'd have to unload to make space for Marner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...