Jump to content
Brawndo

2019-20 Trade Rumors And Speculation

Recommended Posts

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 12:49 PM, tom webster said:

This brings up an interesting question. At one point do we throw in the towel and not want JBOT in charge of any trades? When does the internal pressure to go something change to an internal memo not to trade any future picks or prospects?

RIGHT NOW!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I think botterill has more slack than some of us realize.

 

3 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I think he has more time than some realize. I think at a minimum JB has the entire season. Most likely longer.

Correct. Because for Terry to fire him now he'd have to admit HE made a huge mistake. Then he'd have to somehow justify to everyone that he deserves to be trusted in another GM search and somehow explain another first-time GM hire.

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Botts has three more years. I think he sold Terry on a slow build, I think he'll be successful, and I will patiently wait. 

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Brawndo said:

 

It would be such a bad look to move Miller right after acquiring him (and barely playing him) unless the return is substantial. Is there a disconnect between coach and GM?

I hope if they move Miller it's because he was the only one who could fetch that worthwhile return (in which case I'm good with it ) otherwise they should be looking to move the actual bad D-men off the roster like McCabe and Ristolainen. 

Kidding on Risto, we all know damn well he'll be lacing it up 25 minutes a night for this team long after Eichel has moved on to greener pastures. 

Edited by Thorny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Thorny said:

It would be such a bad look to move Miller right after acquiring him (and barely playing him) unless the return is substantial. Is there a disconnect between coach and GM?

I hope if they move Miller it's because he was the only one who could fetch that worthwhile return (in which case I'm good with it ) otherwise they should be looking to move the actual bad D-men off the roster like McCabe and Ristolainen. 

I'm guessing Miller will get traded, he'll thrive with his new team and they'll rave about his character.    Soon after the trade he'll explain what a shitshow it was in Buffalo not having any clue why he was scratched, nobody knowing who was in charge, aloof atmosphere in the locker room, lack of leadership, lack of accountability, poor work habits, etc etc etc etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Is this a Hmmmmm?

Or did he finally get an ultimatum from Pegula??

As others alluded to, I think he has a long rope from ownership. 

2 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Of course he's in a good mood, he can use the Dahlin injury to justify keeping all of the defensemen. 

This is worrying because there's probably more than a little truth in it. Obviously he's not actually happy about Dahlin, but does anyone doubt this falls right into their wheelhouse of adding another ready-made excuse to the pile for why competing (and making a move for a forward in season) can be pushed back further?

Looking at the injuries, I don't see how anyone could buy that excuse. For 1, all teams get them, if they are waiting for full health, it's never gonna happen and 2, the injury list as it stands is hardly littered with impact players. Outside of Dahlin, we are looking at Okposo, Sobotka, Rodrigues, and Thompson, who was in the AHL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

I'm guessing Miller will get traded, he'll thrive with his new team and they'll rave about his character.    Soon after the trade he'll explain what a shitshow it was in Buffalo not having any clue why he was scratched, nobody knowing who was in charge, aloof atmosphere in the locker room, lack of leadership, lack of accountability, poor work habits, etc etc etc etc

And we’ll pillory him for saying the truth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Weave said:

And we’ll pillory him for saying the truth.

With each new player stating it the reception overall has been increasingly girls look GIF

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Sabres end up in the bottom 10 again, I'd say that except for Dahlin, EVERYONE is on the market...including Jack and his bro Sam.  Of course it goes without saying that these roster moves will be made by someone other than Botts, because another bottom 10 finish and he will be fired, right???

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

If the Sabres end up in the bottom 10 again, I'd say that except for Dahlin, EVERYONE is on the market...including Jack and his bro Sam.  Of course it goes without saying that these roster moves will be made by someone other than Botts, because another bottom 10 finish and he will be fired, right???

In the loosest sense ... everyone has a trade price. Even Dahlin. In the strictest sense, I think JB views his core as Dahlin, Eichel, Reinhart and Skinner. And everyone else besides those, he’s open to a discussion of trade value etc... If JB puts the right pieces around those four players and has solid goaltending, this team I believe will be winning more. I don’t think the weak link TODAY is coaching staff or the GM or even the owner. I want a stronger goaltending duo, and another dangerous top 6 forward with grit. Just starting there ... will do this team wonders I believe. Timely saves. A goaltender that can “steal” a handful of games a year. A gritty top 6 who’s grittiness will be contagious with a few already on the team.

That, I think will do this team some good. Every team who doesn’t win the cup is a work in progress. Sorry but they just are. Sabres too. Who the heck ever expected this team to ever be a finished product? I know I didn’t. Hopefully JB can pull off a fair trade to address one or both of those issues.

And no, I think another bottom 10 finish doesn’t get JB fired. Especially IF he’s made a couple good moves, but injuries prevent them from climbing out of the basement. BUT if he doesn’t make good moves AND the team finishes poorly, then I can see him getting let go. Injuries or not. JB is 100% safe for another few months ... at the very least. The JB haters know this. They hate the idea, but they know this.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I speculate that he's getting fat on turkey and stuffing while continuing to do absolutley nothing. 

He's super good at that. 

We all deserve better, happy Thanksgiving 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I speculate that he's getting fat on turkey and stuffing while continuing to do absolutley nothing. 

He's super good at that. 

We all deserve better, happy Thanksgiving 

I doubt that, he has done a lot of trades for this season already, just couldn't do one getting us one more top 6 forward.   I don't get this perception of him some of you have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Huckleberry said:

I doubt that, he has done a lot of trades for this season already, just couldn't do one getting us one more top 6 forward.   I don't get this perception of him some of you have.

Maybe, but it's unfortunate that this is how he's viewed, but also part of the job with the way the team has performed. Even more so, the way they fell apart. 

Had we been in the playoffs recently or at least not seen glimpses of what this team can be (winning streaks, etc) I don't think the sentiment would be the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea. The thought that he’s literally “doing nothing” in regards to him trying to better that Sabres, are either just exaggeration for effect, or just pure ignorance. I like to believe it’s just exaggeration. It takes two to tango. And while others may doubt, I don’t doubt that he’s talking to a handful of GMs about acquiring and/or getting rid of a few players. Hopefully some of the talks become more than just that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm firmly in the camp that he has done something, only that its mostly to the Defense.   Look at all trades in the last 12+ Months.  Joki, Miller, Montour, Beaulieu, and Fedun.    The only trade on the Forward side is Vesey, and so far that is a fail.  This is based on the fact it was only a 3rd.   And in terms of Free agency,  the Skinner signing fell in the category of Vanek -  you had to do it.  I don't give credit or blame.   Marcus Johansson is a plus.  Lazar is replacement level and came with no risk, only potential.  Understanding it takes two to tango, I ask what is the  real value of our Defense?  Scandella, Bogo, McCabe, Risto, or Miller.   I've heard rumors on all of these players as tradable assets, but maybe there are offers but JB fears getting swindled again, and this is giving him pause.   Meanwhile, Winnipeg whom we all thought would be desperate for a defender and coming to the table  with a top six forward in return is 15-9-1 and third in their division with only 2 of last years starting 6 on Defense.    So I ask, seriously, after watching Risto play the last week or two, what is his value?  It's like my stock in Uber.   Over the summer I thought it was a great buy falling to $34.  Not feeling that great in late November.  I fear we are going to get 2nd and 3rd round picks (or equivalents in prospects) from a top tier team needing a 5-6 depth D for some of these players and how does that help this year or next?  I think the only teams serious about trading are teams that have players they are trying to dump.  The Preds healthy scratch Turris the last 5 games - and he is an anchor on their cap @ $6M for the next 4+years.  Want to take a flier on that?  Nope.  Can Jason Zucker be had straight up for Risto?  I don't think so.  Chris Kreider?  Another UFA?  Pass on another LW Blue Shirt.    So unless he is willing to trade a real asset I cannot see how we are going to be realize help in the top 6 this year. 

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Hank said:

I think Botts has three more years. I think he sold Terry on a slow build, I think he'll be successful, and I will patiently wait. 

Well this is frightening

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Zamboni said:

I think he has more time than some realize. I think at a minimum JB has the entire season. Most likely longer.

 

22 hours ago, Hank said:

I think Botts has three more years. I think he sold Terry on a slow build, I think he'll be successful, and I will patiently wait. 

I just don't buy it. Darcy sold the Pegulas on suffering and still got fired in relatively short order. Rex Ryan sold them on....something....and got fired after 2 years of a 5-year contract. Tim Murray and Bylsma got fired right quick. I'm not saying Botterill is definitely going to be fired, but the Pegulas shouldn't be assumed to be giving their team leadership a long rope. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

 

I just don't buy it. Darcy sold the Pegulas on suffering and still got fired in relatively short order. Rex Ryan sold them on....something....and got fired after 2 years of a 5-year contract. Tim Murray and Bylsma got fired right quick. I'm not saying Botterill is definitely going to be fired, but the Pegulas shouldn't be assumed to be giving their team leadership a long rope. 

I agree in theory, but looking at all the stuff surrounding the last big hire, about how the Sabres have a rep for severing ties quick, how, as @PASabreFan likes to point out, Pegula views JB as his first real hockey GM hire (with assistance from the league, no less) combined with Botterill evidently being in no hurry to make that big trade (or even just trade a D man at all), makes me think he has some rope. 

The way he re-signed literally everyone this past summer and brought us right to the cap, avoiding any real decisions on who to move on from, makes me think that “cap space!1!11!!” year next year is their target for competing for the playoffs.

At least. I would not be shocked if next year is viewed as their first “build year” internally, with it actually being 2 seasons from now that any kind of actual result is expected. 

I think there’s a reasonable likelihood Botterill has a full, comfortable, 5 years. We are on year 3. 

As stated, if it was up to me, this, the third year, would be when competing for the playoffs is the mandate. I’ve stuck to it from the beginning that I’d like to see JB canned if playoffs aren’t a realistic possibility through March. We need to be on the bubble, at a minimum.  

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Thorny said:

makes me think that “cap space!1!11!!” year next year is their target for competing for the playoffs.

At least. I would not be shocked if next year is viewed as their first “build year” internally, with it actually being 2 seasons from now that any kind of actual result is expected. 

So are we in Lose For Lafreniere or Bad of Byfield mode? 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, steveoath said:

So are we in Lose For Lafreniere or Bad of Byfield mode? 

Never again ...

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
forgot to say (insert that winkie thingie here) ...
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, steveoath said:

So are we in Lose For Lafreniere or Bad of Byfield mode? 

I don’t think tanking is on their radar. A high pick is probably viewed as an added benefit but not the goal. 

I think they went into this season viewing it as some sort of “Culture Year™️“. As if that could be instilled by reinforcing positive messaging rather than by achieving a winning formula. 

Edited by Thorny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...