Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

55 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Fine.  And you're dreaming if you think the Sabs would actually get a meaningful player in a deadline trade.  It would be a draft pick and it would be a guy who plays in the AHL at best.

Yeah, at the deadline, teams that are looking to buy are probably not trading a F for a D.  They are usually going to be trading away futures to add something for the playoffs.  The hockey trades are usually offseason deals.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I agree. We aren't in a position to add a meaningful player so we need to get draft picks and then actually use them correctly

No.  Stand up to the rest of the league for once.  It amazes me that a board full of people who get worked up that no one not named McCabe or Ristolainen takes a forward into the boards for breathing on Carter Hutton is willing to bend over and trade said players for fairy tales.  If teams want Sabre players, they can pay a price.  The Bruins wanted Charlie Coyle, got him, and paid.  The Pens wanted Zucker, got him, paid.  Enough of this giving away nonsense.

Buffalo had a GM once who was great at winning trades but bad at building a team.  I'd like to see the Sabres get back to at least that baseline level again.  Right now, they have a GM who loses trades and still can't build a team.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 2

From 31 Thoughts

6. In Buffalo, there’s a lot of talk about what major moves the Sabres can make, although there’s a decent chance they make moves around the periphery of their lineup. Among those who’d garner interest: recently acquired Michael Frolik, Johan Larsson (playoff nastiness written all over him), Evan Rodrigues and Conor Sheary.

Looking forward to getting a couple 4ths and a 7th on trade deadline day.  ?

12. I don’t think Anaheim is particularly interested in moving their key pieces — from Josh Manson, to Cam Fowler, to Hampus Lindholm, to Jakob Silfverberg, to Rickard Rakell. You’re really going to have to move the needle. Ondrej Kase is a possibility, and there are teams who like him — although he has missed two straight games after being hit by Muzzin. I could see contenders eying Derek Grant. He’s had a strong year and doesn’t come at an enormous cost.

Rakell and Kase would be intriguing. 

21 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

From 31 Thoughts

6. In Buffalo, there’s a lot of talk about what major moves the Sabres can make, although there’s a decent chance they make moves around the periphery of their lineup. Among those who’d garner interest: recently acquired Michael Frolik, Johan Larsson (playoff nastiness written all over him), Evan Rodrigues and Conor Sheary.

Looking forward to getting a couple 4ths and a 7th on trade deadline day.  ?

12. I don’t think Anaheim is particularly interested in moving their key pieces — from Josh Manson, to Cam Fowler, to Hampus Lindholm, to Jakob Silfverberg, to Rickard Rakell. You’re really going to have to move the needle. Ondrej Kase is a possibility, and there are teams who like him — although he has missed two straight games after being hit by Muzzin. I could see contenders eying Derek Grant. He’s had a strong year and doesn’t come at an enormous cost.

Rakell and Kase would be intriguing. 

Elliott isn’t far off. I’m pretty sure we’ll all be disappointed with whatever Jbottom brings back in any trades. I used to call Brian Burke a blowhard but after seeing what we can expect with Jbottoms and Ralphs ‘ soft ‘ approach I’d love Burke to come in and shake things up. Talk about culture change.

Edited by bunomatic

1 minute ago, bunomatic said:

Elliott isn’t far off. I’m pretty sure we’ll all be disappointed with whatever Jbottom brings back in any trades. I used to call Brian Burke a blowhard but after seeing what we can expect with Jbottoms and Ralphs ‘ soft ‘ approach I’d love Burke to come in and shake things up. Talk about culture change. 

He doesn't address the Defensive assets available at all. I suspect a couple of D men are gone at the deadline, along with a couple of forwards. And at this point and time, I'm not really interested in collecting draft picks for the future, but, there may be a couple coming back.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Curt said:

I don’t think it’s a problem.  I think it’s mostly just human nature.

An excellent basketball player has a much larger impact on their team than an excellent hockey player can, and it’s not even close.  So one or two excellent basketball players can go to a bad team and make it good.  A couple excellent hockey players can not have quite the same impact.

So you don't think that, for example, that McDavid coming to the Sabres and possibly making Jack our 2C, would have a major impact on our team?

7 hours ago, bunomatic said:

How about Mike Gilles as President of Hockey Ops? 

5 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

So you don't think that, for example, that McDavid coming to the Sabres and possibly making Jack our 2C, would have a major impact on our team?

I do (of course) think that McDavid coming to the Sabres would have a major impact, but not as much of an impact as LeBron going to a basketball team.

There are a couple reasons for this.  One, even the best NHL players play less than half the game, while NBA players regularly play 75%+ of a game.  Two, in basketball you can give the ball to your best player on every play and run everything through them almost 100%.  In hockey that’s not possible to the same extent.  Three, in basketball there is no goalie to stop you when you beat the D.  Four, in basketball the best team wins more often than in hockey.  It’s less influenced by luck so there is more chance that having that best player will actually lead to W’s.

2 hours ago, Curt said:

I do (of course) think that McDavid coming to the Sabres would have a major impact, but not as much of an impact as LeBron going to a basketball team.

There are a couple reasons for this.  One, even the best NHL players play less than half the game, while NBA players regularly play 75%+ of a game.  Two, in basketball you can give the ball to your best player on every play and run everything through them almost 100%.  In hockey that’s not possible to the same extent.  Three, in basketball there is no goalie to stop you when you beat the D.  Four, in basketball the best team wins more often than in hockey.  It’s less influenced by luck so there is more chance that having that best player will actually lead to W’s.

All good points except the bolded....obviously, you've never seen me play basketball. LOL

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, bunomatic said:

I still prefer JNOT but JBottom isn't bad although a bit sexual which I'm not sure you intended. 

• Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

He couldn't buy a goal that year. Didn't he finally score his first goal like three times that season? First two disallowed? 

That year?  Wasn't he at one point the longest tenured player ever in the league to not score a single goal?  Or maybe it was just among forwards.  I remember there being some specific designation for his impressive level of futility.  It's funny to see now, 3 years later that he actually has a pair of 10+ goal seasons under his belt.

41 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Darcy Regier gets way too much crap around here for having two Cup final teams, and a perennial playoff team with serious ownership issues and limitations for almost his entire tenure.

One Cup final, but at least one other conference final.

2 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Darcy Regier gets way too much crap around here for having two Cup final teams, and a perennial playoff team with serious ownership issues and limitations for almost his entire tenure.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

One Cup final, but at least one other conference final.

Three Conference Finals, One Cup Finals

image.thumb.png.64f7948b8bbc0a4168927da5f24fe68c.png

Things had gotten pretty bad with Regier

Edited by Lanny

Regier’s drafting became a real problem.  He got lucky building the post lock out teams with many 3rd rd and later picks like Kotalik, Campbell, Miller, Gaustad, and Afinogenov all developing together and becoming good NHL players. He also managed to “win” many trades grabbing Connolly, Briere and Drury in trade to build a strong center group without actually developing one.  

However he failed so often to get good players in the first rd it’s scary.  In 16 years he drafted and developed 1 scoring center. 1 and that is 3rd line center Derek Roy.  He drafted with our 1st pick greats like Norenen (71 nhl games), Heisten (10), Kryukov (0), Novotny (189), Zagrapan (0), Persson (0), and Brennen (53).  He also often found only 1 NHL player in 1/3 of his drafts. Drafts in 2010, 2011, 2007, 2000 and 1999 each produced 1 legit NHL player.  Getting only Pysyk from 9 picks in 2010 is terrible. He also failed to sign and keep developing talent.  Late round steals like Dennis Wideman and Jan Hejda were never signed.  Thorburn, Byron, MacArthur and even Paille were all traded away before getting a chance to contribute. 

Look no further then this suspect drafting record and you’ll understand why this franchise fell apart.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

He brought in more than enough talent to build a very good hockey team.  The main problem was no retaining that talent.  It's tough to know for sure how much credit belongs to the drafting team when it comes to guys who develop after moving onto a new organization, but if you look at the resumes of all of those players as a whole, I do think there's a very good team in there.  Sure there were plenty of misses, but I think the hits outweighed them.  Failure to sign and develop does not equal a failure to draft.

The results to look to tail off though towards the later years.  I'd suspect that you'll find that this coincides pretty well with when old sugar packets tightened the purse strings on all things off the ice.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Regier’s drafting became a real problem.  He got lucky building the post lock out teams with many 3rd rd and later picks like Kotalik, Campbell, Miller, Gaustad, and Afinogenov all developing together and becoming good NHL players. He also managed to “win” many trades grabbing Connolly, Briere and Drury in trade to build a strong center group without actually developing one.  

However he failed so often to get good players in the first rd it’s scary.  In 16 years he drafted and developed 1 scoring center. 1 and that is 3rd line center Derek Roy.  He drafted with our 1st pick greats like Norenen (71 nhl games), Heisten (10), Kryukov (0), Novotny (189), Zagrapan (0), Persson (0), and Brennen (53).  He also often found only 1 NHL player in 1/3 of his drafts. Drafts in 2010, 2011, 2007, 2000 and 1999 each produced 1 legit NHL player.  Getting only Pysyk from 9 picks in 2010 is terrible. He also failed to sign and keep developing talent.  Late round steals like Dennis Wideman and Jan Hejda were never signed.  Thorburn, Byron, MacArthur and even Paille were all traded away before getting a chance to contribute. 

Look no further then this suspect drafting record and you’ll understand why this franchise fell apart.  

His drafting failures can be partly attributed to the absence of a legitimate scouting department.  Money was tight and Regier was forced to rely on video scouting. This put him at a huge disadvantage. 

1 minute ago, freester said:

His drafting failures can be partly attributed to the absence of a legitimate scouting department.  Money was tight and Regier was forced to rely on video scouting. This put him at a huge disadvantage. 

I think there is definitely something to this, but it doesn’t really explain the total disappointment of the 1st round picks.  These most high profile picks, who would have got the most attention and scrutiny, also had an extremely poor success rate.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.