Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

9 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

I wouldn't expect any major moves from Botterill. I don't believe he sees the 50th anniversary season as anything more than a promotional plug for the organization as he continues to wait for …………………… ??????????????

Hell, I have no idea what he's waiting for. He re-signed a majority of these plugs hoping for what? A different result?

At this point I'm just going to call it what it is, Botterill's a straight out idiot or there is some super secret master plan to win the Cup next season...…………….

I'll go with the obvious, he's an idiot.

I'm giving him this next draft and off season when we shed some money. He now doesn't have space to do much. That's not excusing him but money in has to be matched by money out. Can't see any impact moves this season. Maybe be sel!ers at dead!ine. Off season have to find help because next season may well be his last.

25 minutes ago, Radar said:

I'm giving him this next draft and off season when we shed some money. He now doesn't have space to do much. That's not excusing him but money in has to be matched by money out. Can't see any impact moves this season. Maybe be sel!ers at dead!ine. Off season have to find help because next season may well be his last.

The problem with giving him another offseason is that much of the cap issue is his own fault. If he has another offseason of poor decisions, he isn't only flushing another year down the drain, he's making it harder for his successor to course correct. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

The problem with giving him another offseason is that much of the cap issue is his own fault. If he has another offseason of poor decisions, he isn't only flushing another year down the drain, he's making it harder for his successor to course correct. 

It is ?  I count him only signing Skinner.     Don't bring up the Scandella trade because that moved Ennis' contract as well.

Interesting debate... I am on the fence on Botterill.  If he doesnt do something positive before trade deadline I would be ok with moving on from him.  I do do believe Cozens is the no 2 center of the future... but Sabres need to sign a scorer or trade for one by deadline.  If they somehow can find another center great! Either way they need to find a top six guy with attitude.

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

It is ?  I count him only signing Skinner.     Don't bring up the Scandella trade because that moved Ennis' contract as well.

Vesey and McCabe are his contracts. He ate Hunwick's salary to get Sheary. Girgensons, Larsson, and Rodrigues are also his contracts. I supported some of those signings, but all that combines to over $11 million in cap space, so let's not pretend he doesn't have a hand in this. He's also been mildly saved by LTIR for Hunwick and Sobotka, because if they weren't there, that'd be another $5.5M on bad hockey players. 

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

Vesey and McCabe are his contracts. He ate Hunwick's salary to get Sheary. Girgensons, Larsson, and Rodrigues are also his contracts. I supported some of those signings, but all that combines to over $11 million in cap space, so let's not pretend he doesn't have a hand in this. He's also been mildly saved by LTIR for Hunwick and Sobotka, because if they weren't there, that'd be another $5.5M on bad hockey players. 

I would love to sign him to a multiyear deal tbh, as a 4C he is very capable.

Vesey was worth a shot and I wouldn't mind him in our bottom 6 next year either.

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

I would love to sign him to a multiyear deal tbh, as a 4C he is very capable.

Vesey was worth a shot and I wouldn't mind him in our bottom 6 next year either.

I like Larsson too! My point isn't that every single move Botterill has made is wrong, just that he's very much responsible for our current cap situation. He got us here with this roster through his own choices, so the fact a trade is financially challenging to execute doesn't exactly excuse his performance. If the best my GM can do with $5M is Jimmy Vesey and Jake McCabe, I want a different GM. 

• Like (+1) 1

its always been about the 2020-21 season. I do believe the rumors that he is trying to make a "significant" move. It will come but maybe not until the off-season. 

Unfortunately, as the saying goes, it takes 2 to Tango.

I know we all blame JB for not doing anything but who are the second line centers out there worth giving up at least a 1st round pick?  I'm not sure that player exists.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Yes. All of this. Toss sheary into this pile too. He keeps rearranging deck chairs on the titanic. 

but the calculator Sabres bloggers told us that Sheary just had bad puck luck!

• Like (+1) 2

Im also ok for the McCabe for Wood swap.  

At this point Im also intersted to see what type of Power forward we could get for Reinhart.  Just not a big fan. Doesn't create his own goals.  Used to be good in front of net but has not shown that this year.  Also a lot of his points from previous years are assist on Jack's goals or deflections on PP.

Would rather have a forward like Alex Tuch, Tyler Bertuzzi, or Josh Anderson.

10 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

At this point Im also intersted to see what type of Power forward we could get for Reinhart.  Just not a big fan. Doesn't create his own goals.  Used to be good in front of net but has not shown that this year.  Also a lot of his points from previous years are assist on Jack's goals or deflections on PP.

Maybe if we’re lucky we could get Evander Kane

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Yes. All of this. Toss sheary into this pile too. He keeps rearranging deck chairs on the titanic. 

When you're in the middle of the ocean sinking and there's no help in sight anywhere, there's not much you can do , other than overload the lifeboats and watch them sink too. Maybe throw a life preserver at someone in shark infested waters.

5 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

You may be right but I don't see him not getting another year but I didn't expect Murray to get axed either.

1 hour ago, sweetlou said:

I would take Anderson off the list due to injuries. I'd take Bertuzzi, although I like Tuch also and he's locked up on a reasonable contract. However, I wouldn't trade Sam straight up for any of them and would prefer to ADD one of them to the present roster.

5 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I like Larsson too! My point isn't that every single move Botterill has made is wrong, just that he's very much responsible for our current cap situation. He got us here with this roster through his own choices, so the fact a trade is financially challenging to execute doesn't exactly excuse his performance. If the best my GM can do with $5M is Jimmy Vesey and Jake McCabe, I want a different GM. 

And that's AFTER lucking out with Berglund voiding his own contract after being a total washout at the 2C role he'd presumably been brought in to fill.  If they still had Berglund around, getting Johansson under the cap would've been problematic at best.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

And that's AFTER lucking out with Berglund voiding his own contract after being a total washout at the 2C role he'd presumably been brought in to fill.  If they still had Berglund around, getting Johansson under the cap would've been problematic at best.

Imagine if Mr I’ll drill another well,  had paid the bonus, Elias Lindholm would be the Sabres 2C right now 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Imagine if Mr I’ll drill another well,  had paid the bonus, Elias Lindholm would be the Sabres 2C right now 

You’ve brought this up quite a bit and I, for one, believe it. My take, however, is this is another example of what happens when you bring in a weak, inexperienced general manager. A veteran guy tells Terry, look, you can save $7.5 million now, but you will lose it when your fans stop coming because this will set you back another two years.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, tom webster said:

You’ve brought this up quite a bit and I, for one, believe it. My take, however, is this is another example of what happens when you bring in a weak, inexperienced general manager. A veteran guy tells Terry, look, you can save $7.5 million now, but you will lose it when your fans stop coming because this will set you back another two years.

Botterill really wanted Lindholm though,(he has asked Brad Treviling about him during Trade Discussions with Calgary)  hence Bob McKenzie reporting the pre and post July 1st asking prices. 

Botterill’s Failure was not being able to change Pegula’s Mind on paying the bonus. In Pegula’s Mind losing one’s love for the game equals me losing the love to pay you 7.5 Million, consequences be damned. 

Edited by Brawndo

Just now, Brawndo said:

Botterill really wanted Lindholm though,(he has asked Brad Treviling about him during Trade Discussions with Calgary)  hence Bob McKenzie reporting the pre and post July 1st asking prices.

Botterill’s Failure was not being able to change Pegula’s Mind on paying the bonus. In Pegula’s Mind losing one’s love for the game equals me losing the love to pay you 7.5 Million, consequences be damned. 

If this is true, it will probably factor into TP's decision on whether to give JB another year.

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

It seems the board officially hates Botterill

Onto the next one!

I don't hate him. But not sure I like him either. Frankly the ROR trade , if it was solely Botterill then I'm down with dumping him. I'm not convinced it was not as much ownership as anything. So I'll see what the next six months brings and it better look different.

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Botterill’s failure was deciding to move ROR in the first place. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.