Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

4 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I say do not spend valuable assets on a 3rd line player.  We should be able to develop 3rd line players from our own system and not spend assets that could be used for top 6 players.  

1971 Punch Imlach didn't think that way.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I say do not spend valuable assets on a 3rd line player.  We should be able to develop 3rd line players from our own system and not spend assets that could be used for top 6 players.  

3rd line player perhaps, but also a #1 PP player.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

11 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

High end talent available (Hall) and Botts isn't interested, underperforming young player on his third team available and that's what's needed to fix this team.....

Have to assume that Botterill at least spoke with Shero about Hall.  Also have to believe the price for him is quite high at present.  Can see where the price is too high to fit him in especially with the possibility that (friggin') Sobotka could be back before the end of the year and then Hall's contract has them over the cap as NJ will want youth / prospects / picks for him and won't want to bring back a Bogosian contract much less an Okposo contract.

If Galchenyuk only costs Bogosian, would be willing to bring him in.  That move could even be the mythical one that gets Mittelstadt spending time in Ra-cha-cha that so many here want to see.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Weave said:

1971 Punch Imlach didn't think that way.

1971 Punch sure did.   Look at my brilliance :

I gave up nothing and acquired a second #2. I used that pick for Larry Carierre (I took Schoeny in round 1).  

I gave up one of my #2's in a so-so draft for Jim Lorentz to play in the second line and the second PP with Gerry Mehan.  I knew Lorentz could put the puck in the net and he became the top 6 forward I thought he could be.  

I stole Rene Robert for Shack.  I figured Robert could be the missing piece with Perreault and Martin,   

I picked up a solid Mike Byers and tough as hell Larry Hillman for very little.  We needed Hillman to keep other teams honest.  

I picked up solid 3rd liner in Larry Mickey for a roll of tape.   Larry was a solid PK guy and we took our share of penalties back then.  

I picked up Luce and Roby for a bag of pucks.  

Buffalo Sabres acquire Date New York Rangers acquire
Buffalo_Sabres.gif cash
March 5, 1972
rights to Phil Goyette New_York_Rangers.gif
Buffalo Sabres acquire Date St. Louis Blues acquire
Buffalo_Sabres.gif George Morrison
1972 2nd round pick (#25-Larry Carriere)
March 5, 1972
Chris Evans St._Louis_Blues.gif
Buffalo Sabres acquire Date Pittsburgh Penguins acquire
Buffalo_Sabres.gif Rene Robert
March 4, 1972
Eddie Shack Pittsburgh_Penguins.gif
Buffalo Sabres acquire Date New York Rangers acquire
Buffalo_Sabres.gif Jim Lorentz
January 14, 1972
1972 2nd round pick (#21-Larry Sacharuk) New_York_Rangers.gif
Buffalo Sabres acquire Date Los Angeles Kings acquire
Buffalo_Sabres.gif Mike Byers
Larry Hillman
December 16, 1971
Doug Barrie
Mike Keeler
Los_Angeles_Kings.gif
Buffalo Sabres acquire Date Philadelphia Flyers acquire
Buffalo_Sabres.gif Larry Mickey
November 16, 1971
Larry Keenan Philadelphia_Flyers.gif
Buffalo Sabres acquire Date Detroit Red Wings acquire
Buffalo_Sabres.gif Don Luce
Mike Robitaille
May 25, 1971
Joe Daley Detroit_Red_Wings.gif
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

As much as it sucks, at this point JBOT should just wait until the deadline... The current team has shown it has enough talent to at least be on the playoff bubble.   

There are too many teams, Buffalo included, who don't know yet wether they're buyers or sellers.

If Buffalo continues to be in the playoff mix come trade deadline day, then I expect JBOT to be a buyer... which would be a nice change of pace from recent years.

Until then, I don't expect anything of significance to materialize.

• Like (+1) 3

^ No reason to wait. Team needs help, he shouldn’t let things slip away. The can is continually being bumped down the road. Soon we’ll be hearing “wait till the draft” again. It may be that there just isn’t anyone available (though I don’t see that being the case) but he shouldn’t be inactive simply because he’s waiting to see where they are come the deadline. By then it could be too late. 

A GM who is witnessing the level that Eichel is playing at should value getting into the playoffs this season quite highly.

- - - 

Friedman today on Hockey Central said Pens are looking to move Galchenyuk once he’s healthy because they “don’t consider him to be one of their 12 best forwards”. 

Edited by Thorny

On 12/7/2019 at 11:04 PM, Zamboni said:

Bogo isn’t returning. I would lay money on it. Unless, unless ... he takes a significant pay cut. And it’s only a one or two year deal. His current salary is at the least 2 mil. too high for what he brings. 

He might agree to those terms.

Freidman said the price ain't much (most people are down on Galchenyuk) but making the cap numbers match might be tough.

Bogosian ($5.1) for Galchenyuk ($4.9), both UFAs, is a pretty good match — in need as well as contract, IMO.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

On the one hand, Galchy's numbers are pretty decent, as are his position, size and age.

OTOH, it's hard to get excited about JB bringing in another Pittsburgh salary dump.

I could certainly live with Bogo for him, or probably Scandy, but not one of the younger Dmen.

I pray that this nickname never catches on.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Keep in mind almost half of Galchenyuk's production the last 2 years has come via the powerplay. 

I don't doubt it.  At the same time, given the state of our PP right now, I would not mind seeing an addition that could improve the second PP unit.  It would be nice if we had two legit PP groups capable of scoring...maybe even create a little competition between them in an ideal state (which we are far from still).

On 12/7/2019 at 1:36 PM, pi2000 said:

The Sabre's have a glut of defenseman are in desperate need of a top 6 winger and they're not interested in perennial all-star Taylor Hall because he "is not in their long or short term plans"?    And people wonder why they haven't made the playoffs in a decade.

I’m alright with Galchenyuk as long as he isn’t “the” acquisition. If you can make a dollar for dollar swap, why not. 
It’s like when Punch took a shot on Jacques Richard. It didn’t work out but it wasn’t a big deal in the end. If he goes on one of his unconscious streaks he could win you a game or two and be the difference in the race.

i am more and more convinced that all this team needs is a legitimate number two center and top end goaltending to not only make the playoffs but win a round or two. I think the internal debate right now is if Casey and the number one pick are on the table.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

I don't doubt it.  At the same time, given the state of our PP right now, I would not mind seeing an addition that could improve the second PP unit.  It would be nice if we had two legit PP groups capable of scoring...maybe even create a little competition between them in an ideal state (which we are far from still).

Regarding the bolded......I’m kind of the opposite.  On the PP players often don’t expend too much energy compared to a standard shift.  I’m in favor of often leaving the best guys out there for a full 2mins, or at least close to it.

28 minutes ago, Curt said:

Regarding the bolded......I’m kind of the opposite.  On the PP players often don’t expend too much energy compared to a standard shift.  I’m in favor of often leaving the best guys out there for a full 2mins, or at least close to it.

Sheldon Keefe has been doing that with his four forwards and he switches the one defenseman (Reilly and Barrie) close to halfway through. 

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

I’m alright with Galchenyuk as long as he isn’t “the” acquisition. If you can make a dollar for dollar swap, why not. 
It’s like when Punch took a shot on Jacques Richard. It didn’t work out but it wasn’t a big deal in the end. If he goes on one of his unconscious streaks he could win you a game or two and be the difference in the race.

i am more and more convinced that all this team needs is a legitimate number two center and top end goaltending to not only make the playoffs but win a round or two. I think the internal debate right now is if Casey and the number one pick are on the table.

Our #1 should be locked in a safe.

mitts I’m a bit more torn on. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.