Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

30 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Lots of bad takes on poor Casey here. Kid is talented but not NHL ready and that's all there is to it. He should be in the A right now but he's not. It's got nothing to do with motivation or skill.

I think it was @Randall Flagg who pointed me in the direction of checking out the forwards drafted after Casey in his draft...not much there. It's clear opinions are too largely affected by the ridiculous over-hype he was getting based on the WJC, the comments about how HE was our leading candidate for the Calder over Dahlin, potentially better than Pettersson, etc etc. I don't blame anyone, I bought into the hype as well as it was pretty all-encompassing. 

The truth is, while still probably underachieving a bit relative to what one might hope, being an 8 overall pick (that 4 shots in 30 periods stat is eye-opening), an ~ 30 point forward at age 20/21 on this team is pretty reasonable production. It just illustrates how good Reinhart actually is/was, putting up 47 points in his D3 season. 

Casey still probably has 2nd line upside but a more reasonable projection would be sheltered 3rd line C, maybe a ~40 point guy. And that's fine, if Cozens is the answer at 2C. He's a much more well-rounded talent, the type of guy that plays a 200 foot game that allows for that sheltering. Have to hit on Cozens, though. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Oh God we are about to get clowned in a trade big time. This is why putting your organization in a position where you have to make a desperation move mid season instead of addressing the roster flaws in the offseason is incredibly foolish.

Yep. I don’t like urgency and Botterill in the same sentence. With the impending bonus, there was also an urgency to trade ROR too. 

11 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Looking like it couldn't hurt to pick up a PK kind of player, eh?

Or... and this is just a thought, we fix our current PK which is endemic of a larger problem this team has. AKA sitting around and not aggressively attacking the puck carrier. 

22 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Or... and this is just a thought, we fix our current PK which is endemic of a larger problem this team has. AKA sitting around and not aggressively attacking the puck carrier. 

Maybe, just maybe, the current players on the PK aren't capable of doing so. 3 coaches later with most of the same on ice personnel, all 3 coaches coach the "stand around don't pressure" technique?

My gut tells me that's not the case, but who knows.

5 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Maybe, just maybe, the current players on the PK aren't capable of doing so. 3 coaches later with most of the same on ice personnel, all 3 coaches coach the "stand around don't pressure" technique?

My gut tells me that's not the case, but who knows.

Considering our defensive coach is exactly the same. I'm sorry but you can push Jankowski until the sun burns out but he doesn't improve this team in any significant way. They are bad on the PK because they don't move their feet. They are bad at 5v5 for much of the same reason. Just because last night Boston got 2 pp doesn't mean we should waste trade capital on a 4th line player who has 0 points this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Reinhart+Ristolainen for Gaudreau+Jankowski

So your plan is to trade a defender and 1 of our top 6 six forwards for a top 6 forward and a 4th liner. If my math works right that means we still have... checks quick... only 3 top 6 forwards. How does this help us? 

Animated GIF

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Considering our defensive coach is exactly the same. I'm sorry but you can push Jankowski until the sun burns out but he doesn't improve this team in any significant way. They are bad on the PK because they don't move their feet. They are bad at 5v5 for much of the same reason. Just because last night Boston got 2 pp doesn't mean we should waste trade capital on a 4th line player who has 0 points this season. 

1. I'm not pushing Jankowski, I merely lamented that if Calgary and Buffalo were speaking, based on media reports, that was most likely who I guessed they were speaking on.

2. I find it perplexing you consider the current roster fodder "possible wasted trade capital" given their performance to date. I mean, really, not one person has posted Reinhart or Eichel for Jankowski. So, where is this "pure gold high value" trade capital you keep referring to on this roster? I mean honestly, it's not like adding a Girgs, Larsson, Rodriguez, Sheary, etc, etc is going to make or break a top 6 deal imo. We have plenty of "get the hell off the roster" to go around I figure.

3 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

1. I'm not pushing Jankowski, I merely lamented that if Calgary and Buffalo were speaking, based on media reports, that was most likely who I guessed they were speaking on.

2. I find it perplexing you consider the current roster fodder "possible wasted trade capital" given their performance to date. I mean, really, not one person has posted Reinhart or Eichel for Jankowski. So, where is this "pure gold high value" trade capital you keep referring to on this roster? I mean honestly, it's not like adding a Girgs, Larsson, Rodriguez, Sheary, etc, etc is going to make or break a top 6 deal imo. We have plenty of "get the hell off the roster" to go around I figure.

Because if they have value we should use them to actually improve the team not trade for another 4th liner. It is like having a car with a broken motor so you get it painted. Great, you did something but it still doesn't run. 

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Because if they have value we should use them to actually improve the team not trade for another 4th liner. It is like having a car with a broken motor so you get it painted. Great, you did something but it still doesn't run. 

Apple's and oranges. As was stated early on, shake up trades, change of scenery trades sometimes work. Keeping the same broken motor that has proven it won't run right even with switching mechanics is also great, but the neighbors ate still looking at the same car sitting on the front lawn not moving. Try installing the used part, you never know.

Edited by Scottysabres

3 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Apple's and oranges. As was stated early on, shake up trades, change of scenery trades sometimes work. Keeping the samebroken motor that has proven it won't run right even with switching mechanics is also great, but the neighbors ate still looking at the same car sitting on the front lawn not moving.

So we agree we need to repair the motor and not just paint the car. Good. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Reinhart+Ristolainen for Gaudreau+Jankowski

And again ...

And why would Calgary be licking their chops to jump all over this trade exactly?

construct Calgary’s lineup with Rinehart and Risto. Then tell me how it’s better with Rinehart and Risto, And Gaudreau and Jankowski gone?

I’ll wait 

crickets ...

3 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

And again ...

And why would Calgary be licking their chops to jump all over this trade exactly?

construct Calgary’s lineup with Rinehart and Risto. Then tell me how it’s better with Rinehart and Risto, And Gaudreau and Jankowski gone?

I’ll wait 

crickets ...

Construct our lineup with Reinhart gone but Gudreau in. It isn't better it is the same. The only difference is Gudreau probably scores a little more than Sam but I got bad news for everyone yelling about bigger forwards and net front presence. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

When you don't have the money for the top brand parts, you buy the generic brand.

A change needs to be made, and if Botterill is having a difficult time finding a partner for top 6, he should still look to address the bottom 6.

It doesn't fix the engine. You are going into the parts store with a rod through the block asking the guy about an oil change. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.