Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

3 hours ago, Radar said:

One problem JBot has is cap space coupled with the fact that we don't have a lot in value to trade. I think Risto's value goes down with time rather than goes up and frankly, of players we would likely trade, his value would be the greatest. Other than a couple guys we probably are looking at first or second round picks for any upgrades. That ROR trade really put us back and in the long run may have cost the GM his job unless, and it's very possible, Pegulas ordered it to be done.

We have plenty of people we could trade, almost a roster full of them. Someone has to find value in a roster that started 8-2. I think we have maybe 3 people on the roster, or in the entire organization, who are untouchable. Beyond that, maybe it’s time to shake things up. We don’t have much to lose. I understand trading someone on the roster makes a “hole”. But, the way I see it, it just makes an already established hole a little deeper. 

Our top line doesn’t produce the offense it should. Put Skinner back with Jack or trade him. Drop Reino down to the 2nd line, or trade him. 

21 minutes ago, kas23 said:

We have plenty of people we could trade, almost a roster full of them. Someone has to find value in a roster that started 8-2. I think we have maybe 3 people on the roster, or in the entire organization, who are untouchable. Beyond that, maybe it’s time to shake things up. We don’t have much to lose. I understand trading someone on the roster makes a “hole”. But, the way I see it, it just makes an already established hole a little deeper. 

Our top line doesn’t produce the offense it should. Put Skinner back with Jack or trade him. Drop Reino down to the 2nd line, or trade him. 

One way to not make a roster hole is to trade assets whose value is primarily in the form of potential. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

One way to not make a roster hole is to trade assets whose value is primarily in the form of potential. 

Ok, if we are satisfied with “potential”, then there really shouldn’t be any complaining on here. We can wait it out for the next few years, as we have for the last decade. 

12 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

9 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Ok, if we are satisfied with “potential”, then there really shouldn’t be any complaining on here. We can wait it out for the next few years, as we have for the last decade. 

He said the opposite.  Maybe trade future assets (prospects/picks) for a player/s who can help the team now.  One way to acquire help without creating additional holes in the current roster.

11 minutes ago, Curt said:

He said the opposite.  Maybe trade future assets (prospects/picks) for a player/s who can help the team now.  One way to acquire help without creating additional holes in the current roster.

What I’m saying is that maybe this team needs better players. I already see some of them as holes in the roster. We need better players. Maybe we package one of our players and a prospect/pick for someone who can get the job done. Or, package 2 roster players for better quality. We have quantity, we are lacking quality. For example, and maybe this is an exception, but do you think the Blues created a hole when they traded multiple roster players for O’Reilly?

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

What I’m saying is that maybe this team needs better players. I already see some of them as holes in the roster. We need better players. Maybe we package one of our players and a prospect/pick for someone who can get the job done. Or, package 2 roster players for better quality. We have quantity, we are lacking quality. For example, and maybe this is an exception, but do you think the Blues created a hole when they traded multiple roster players for O’Reilly?

Ok.  I understand that.  

What I was replying to was a sarcastic statement about not wanting to wait for “potential” to develop into good players.  I was trying to clarify that that was not what Randall was proposing.

PS:  I would argue that Buffalo does not in fact have depth at the forward positions.  Just look at the lineup with 2 F injuries.  It’s gross.

Edited by Curt
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, kas23 said:

My entire point was that we can trade potential that isn't helping us NOW, for players that WILL, and in doing so we wouldn't create any roster holes because those players weren't helping us now. I think you thought I was saying we could trade for potential.

52 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Yes, I see that now. Misread it before my coffee. 

Ah, just got to the next page. We good. 

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 8:01 PM, kas23 said:

Skinner can't be traded because Botterill not only overpaid him on money and term, but he gave him a full NMC. He's not going anywhere unless Toronto wants him and I doubt they want to pay him what we're paying him. I agree that he should go back to the top line though. With Johansson out, we're basically a one line team anyway, so we might as well stock that top line with our 3 best forwards (Skinner, Eichel, and Reinhart).

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Drunkard said:

Skinner can't be traded because Botterill not only overpaid him on money and term, but he gave him a full NMC. He's not going anywhere unless Toronto wants him and I doubt they want to pay him what we're paying him. I agree that he should go back to the top line though. With Johansson out, we're basically a one line team anyway, so we might as well stock that top line with our 3 best forwards (Skinner, Eichel, and Reinhart).

I didn’t know about the NMC. So, he should go back to Jack’s wing. I think the experiment of getting cute by spreading potential scoring between lines should come to an end. They are spread thin and both lines have suffered as a result.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I didn’t know about the NMC. So, he should go back to Jack’s wing. I think the experiment of getting cute by spreading potential scoring between lines should come to an end. They are spread thin and both lines have suffered as a result.  

Krueger's view could be that it worked for 10 games and he's convinced it can work again.  Probably need Mojo for that though.  Until Mojo is back, putting Skins wiht Eich isn't a bad idea.

Realistically what do we really have to trade? Risto and a bunch of depth guys who have no to little value. Risto isn't going to nearly get you a top six forward. Only in a fans fantasy is he getting you a measurably better forward than we have already. So what additionally to Risto do we have to offer? Guys like our third and fourth liners and Risto? Still nit going to fetch you a quality top six guy in my opinion. Risto is not as coveted I suspect as we'd like to believe. Unfortunately we're stuck pretty much until next season. Hope our present guys can turn it around at this point.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Radar said:

Realistically what do we really have to trade? Risto and a bunch of depth guys who have no to little value. Risto isn't going to nearly get you a top six forward. Only in a fans fantasy is he getting you a measurably better forward than we have already. So what additionally to Risto do we have to offer? Guys like our third and fourth liners and Risto? Still nit going to fetch you a quality top six guy in my opinion. Risto is not as coveted I suspect as we'd like to believe. Unfortunately we're stuck pretty much until next season. Hope our present guys can turn it around at this point.

Mittelstadt. 

Lots of folks around here also spent summer telling me McCabe is a legit top-4 defenseman on a good team. With his contract, if there are any GMs who share that assessment, then he'd have some value. 

Lastly, if Botterill goes all season (or until the deadline) again without a significant trade and we end up with another 78-ish point clunker, he should be fired. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Mittelstadt. 

Lots of folks around here also spent summer telling me McCabe is a legit top-4 defenseman on a good team. With his contract, if there are any GMs who share that assessment, then he'd have some value. 

Lastly, if Botterill goes all season (or until the deadline) again without a significant trade and we end up with another 78-ish point clunker, he should be fired. 

I'd trade Mittelstadt in a heartbeat if the right off came along.

• Like (+1) 1

Tyson Barrie is a good player but he’s a FA next year is he not? I can see him looking to play in Vancouver, close to home.

We could trade him for 55 and go from there I guess but that’s highly unlikely.

Interesting times ahead I’m sure. I think JBot does something soon though.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.