Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

21 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Scandella and KO for Kovalchuk.

Who says no?

Hopefully Botterill. The last thing we need is another cap albatross. 

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’m kinda with LGR. 

Kovalchuk would be among the last people I would want to add to this team. I might not even do Kyle straight across, despite the two-year cap benefit.

You might not, but you should. You may like Okposo's game more, but those 2 years of cap benefit should be worth way more than that preference. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Hopefully Botterill. The last thing we need is another cap albatross. 

You might not, but you should. You may like Okposo's game more, but those 2 years of cap benefit should be worth way more than that preference. 

Am I missing something, or did you just take both sides of this?

• Haha (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Weave said:

I’m hoping Scandellas value has improved to the point where we can get something worth receiving.  Even if its in lottery ticket form.

I think the value from the Sabres' perspective is unloading KO's contract.

I think Scandy's value has improved, but he's still a lower-pairing defenseman on an expiring contract.  It's hard to see the Sabres getting more than a 3rd-rounder for him under any circumstance (which would probably be a low 3rd-rounder if it's coming from a playoff team looking to bolster its D group for the stretch drive) -- and I'd rather be rid of KO's contract than pick up a low 3rd-rounder.

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I think Scandy's value has improved, but he's still a lower-pairing defenseman on an expiring contract.  It's hard to see the Sabres getting more than a 3rd-rounder for him under any circumstance (which would probably be a low 3rd-rounder if it's coming from a playoff team looking to bolster its D group for the stretch drive) -- and I'd rather be rid of KO's contract than pick up a low 3rd-rounder.

There's no value in adding the pain in the ass that is Kovalchuk. At least Okposo is currently contributing in his role.

11 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Correct. There is huge value in offloading 2 years of a $6M cap hit for a 4th line player. 

47 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

There's no value in adding the pain in the ass that is Kovalchuk. At least Okposo is currently contributing in his role.

This is reasonable and quite possibly true as regards Kovy, but the value, as mentioned above, is unloading KO, who IMHO contributes zero and is a significant net negative due to his contract.

15 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Would he waive his full NMC to come Buffalo, I doubt it. 

And Botterill has flipped 2/3 round picks into NHL players over the past two seasons, I wouldn’t mind him acquiring a few more

Both of these are fair, but I'd rather ditch KO and hope that RK can get something out of Kovy.

10 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

This is reasonable and quite possibly true as regards Kovy, but the value, as mentioned above, is unloading KO, who IMHO contributes zero and is a significant net negative due to his contract.

And let's face it, any possible move for Kovalchuk is probably just going to be a paper one.  My guess is he won't be playing anywhere.  So you're not actually adding a locker room distraction, you're just adding some payroll/cap space that will be spending his time in Russia.  Buffalo's not a spot where it will make much sense, but honestly, I don't think  it makes much sense for LA to trade him anywhere.  They have deep pockets and they don't need the cap space.

4 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Friedman’s Appearance with The Instigators was short but he mentioned that AA might be available from Detroit, but the price will be high 

If we don't make a deal soon, I may have to go to an AA meeting.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Friedman’s Appearance with The Instigators was short but he mentioned that AA might be available from Detroit, but the price will be high 

I'll pass if the price is high. He had a great year last year but it's not looking like he'll repeat that success. Who knows how good he actually is.

14 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

It's a long season, there could be a couple moves in the next month or so that help.

Don't think they can afford to wait. They'll likely be in a deficit few teams manage to overcome if things don't reverse trend soon. If this team is serious about fighting for a playoff spot this season, one would hope there's a significant move well before the month is through. 

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Andreas Athanaisiou

28 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I’m not typing that out, unless he becomes a Sabre, so AA it is. 

Never heard of him.

So, bring him on ... 

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
at least he isn't another Rasmus ...

One problem JBot has is cap space coupled with the fact that we don't have a lot in value to trade. I think Risto's value goes down with time rather than goes up and frankly, of players we would likely trade, his value would be the greatest. Other than a couple guys we probably are looking at first or second round picks for any upgrades. That ROR trade really put us back and in the long run may have cost the GM his job unless, and it's very possible, Pegulas ordered it to be done.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.