Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

6 minutes ago, Derrico said:

I mean when probability says things should be different.

Yea but probability also says that things like this happen without it being mysticism. Law of large numbers! Improbable things happen all the time. 

Edit to add: the likelihood of Buffalo specifically going 100 years without a title is, I would guess, pretty low. But the likelihood that some city would do that probably isn't all too low. We just happen to be the one. 

But hey, in recent years Cleveland, Toronto, the Red Sox, the Cubs, Philly....all cities/teams that ended enormous droughts. It'll happen. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED

43 minutes ago, Derrico said:

I just don’t know why neither team ever hits the triple or ‘gasp’ home run.   What moves have been made in the last decade plus for either franchise that paid off more than anyone expected?  Olofsson seems like the first sabres pick outside the first two rounds in forever who is contributing in any meaningful way.  Again, in a salary cap era neither franchise has an excuse for the absolute disgrace they have been for over a decade.  A decade.  Mind boggling how there is STILL no end in sight. 

I do know that in the past couple of years we have traded (or just plain let go) plenty of good players for non football or hockey reasons. You’re not go8ng to get good that way.

• Thanks (+1) 3

2 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I don't see how anyone can actually watch either team play right now and think there's an effort problem. 

I didn't say effort, I said culture. I've seen to many last minute turn over the leads and to many get behind the 8 ball early and can't play catch up to know it is culture, pure and simple.

Look, either players show up determined to carry out the game plan with their full skill set and drive to succeed on display, or they don't. In the Sabres and Bills case, they don't, plain and simple imho.

Does this losing steak hurt current trades, I mean teams know he's jammed up on D and needs forward help. It was nice before when we could sit here and wait for any deal because we were winning, but I have to assume most GM's know how we look now and that puts us in a lesser position of power.

Sadly I think Jbott waited too long again and should have made a deal when the timing was right. I have never been one to criticize him much, but I'm losing confidence in him fairly quickly. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Does this losing steak hurt current trades, I mean teams know he's jammed up on D and needs forward help. It was nice before when we could sit here and wait for any deal because we were winning, but I have to assume most GM's know how we look now and that puts us in a lesser position of power.

Sadly I think Jbott waited too long again and should have made a deal when the timing was right. I have never been one to criticize him much, but I'm losing confidence in him fairly quickly. 

It's possible that Botterill missed his window, but there really haven't been any trades of note that would indicate this. It's not like other teams have been active in spite of him.

4 minutes ago, darksabre said:

It's possible that Botterill missed his window, but there really haven't been any trades of note that would indicate this. It's not like other teams have been active in spite of him.

Also, though it may be possible that only 1 team is involved in negotiations with Botterill and the Sabres record will affect what he's getting offered; as long as there are at least 2 teams interested in making a trade, the other GMs still have to make a better offer than the other guy(s) to land the deal and will still offer up to what they are willing to part with to still end up winning the bidding war.

29 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Just keep in mind that he's a rental.  I don't overvalue Rodrigues, but Toffoli is a rental.

Risk/reward.  If you tell me second  +  can help us break a playoff drought I’m in.   I can’t see that happening with Vlad on FL#2 this year.    Nothing says you cannot make a second trade, for a player with term.  

18 minutes ago, Derrico said:

From everything I’ve been reading he doesn’t even sound very good.

Well, that's the chicken & egg question.  Has his production fallen off because he's lost a half step that he didn't have to lose or because he's on a very bad team that most of the leadership / name talent is past its use by date?

If he's still what he was (and it's unlikely he is, the question is whether he's close enough to that to be able to help the top 6) then a 2nd and a CJ Smith-ish guy would be a steal.  If he'd only be an upgrade over what we've gotten out of Sheary/ Vesey, well an upgrade is an upgrade but that's too high a cost.

30 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Toffoli his like better Vesey in some ways. Idk, it is an upgrade but it isn't a game changer. I want Ehlers or someone with more upside. Winnipeg needs a RHD right now and they don't need the 3 very good LW's they have. It makes a lot of sense as a hockey trade. 

I would be disappointed if Toffoli was the only move. He's a low risk piece that couldn't hurt, but i want more.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.