Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

On 10/9/2019 at 12:02 PM, Broken Ankles said:

Today, agreed.   But will you fell that way in June of 2021? 

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   
But I have promises to keep,   
And miles to go before I sleep,   
And miles to go before I sleep.

Ah...Robert Frost.  The benefits of a classical education.

or were you quoting the movie Telefon

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Well, it's hard to know whether to be glad without knowing exactly what he turned down. 

If we can assume it was a “boatload” as reported, it likely was indeed a good haul.  I doubt the trade failed due to Botts turning it down, but rather because the other GM pulled the offer for reasons unclear. Or, maybe the original offer was altered in an unfavorable way and Botts walked. The only thing we know for sure is Botts didn’t trade Risto for a bag of spare parts. That’s reassuring. 

On 7/9/2019 at 11:28 AM, freester said:

I don’t want James Neal or jankowski. We need top 6 forwards. We have lots of 3rd and 4th liners. 

Pretty sure James Neal is a top 6 guy.   Could have been had for a song.   Just needed the right situation.   I’d be happy with him playing RW on the top line and slide Sam the second, and of course Vlad would have been moved in the deal, so the cap is a wash.

Neal has had a nice start, but he was so washed up last year that he was traded 1 for 1 for one of the worst contracts in the league in Lucic, and it wasn't that bad of a trade. 

Acquiring Neal would have been an eyebrow-raising move that a lot of people (me included) would have hated

As others have said, it's smart to let the league settle down before making final judgments on anything (as I'm sure anyone who remembers anything about last season understands)

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

As others have said, it's smart to let the league settle down before making final judgments on anything (as I'm sure anyone who remembers anything about last season understands)

It's time to just let it go Mr. Flagg, it'll be a transforming experience.

23 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Neal has had a nice start, but he was so washed up last year that he was traded 1 for 1 for one of the worst contracts in the league in Lucic, and it wasn't that bad of a trade. 

Acquiring Neal would have been an eyebrow-raising move that a lot of people (me included) would have hated

I've been tempted to search and look through the game days from the early part of the season and the 10 game streak.  I think the outlook was pretty similar early last season.

Not that this is the same.  It may very well be different.  But the sample size is still small and we all know how much things tighten up in the regular season come December.  It will be different play in another 6 weeks or so.  the measuring stick will be in how the team adjusts to the inevitable tightening up.

11 minutes ago, jsb said:

It's time to just let it go Mr. Flagg, it'll be a transforming experience.

The only way I could further "let it go" would be to forget it completely, but that would be detrimental to my ability to watch and understand hockey, so I'm good.

ie, I've detached emotionally from the collapse already, so it only gets referenced academically at this point.

In fact, I wasn't here at the time, but you can ask PA, I was already over being angry about the collapse before most fans were convinced it was going to happen

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

Pretty sure James Neal is a top 6 guy.   Could have been had for a song.   Just needed the right situation.   I’d be happy with him playing RW on the top line and slide Sam the second, and of course Vlad would have been moved in the deal, so the cap is a wash.

You could put Sobotka with Mcdavid and Draisitil and he would look great 

• Haha (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Why would they trade him?  JBOT had been targeting him for a few years before he finally acquired him.

I agree, I don't believe Montour is going anywhere.

Even if Bogo is out long term, there is no reason to keep him off the LTIR list if it's warranted. As for projected return, who knows. But I don't think he'll be gone the entire season.

Something is going to shake out if Botts is telling the youngster to get a house.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.