Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

You’d get the Vegas Golden Knights.

Or at least the version that went to the finals.

This really makes for a good discussion. Fans buy tickets to see super stars vs to see winning team. I think definitely they will pay for wins. How to best build a winner? Probably depth not handful of elite players?

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The biggest issue for me would be once we re-sign Sam and Dahlin, we’d have Skinner, Jack, Reinhart, Point and Dahlin for nearly 50 mill. That leaves only 35 mill for 17-18 other players.

And this raises the point I made elsewhere about whether Reino should get a fat long-term deal.  It's quite possible that the right number of those contracts on a team is 4 and not 5, and Point would absolutely be preferable to Reino for that 4th one.

OTOH, it wouldn't be crazy to bank on the cap continuing to rise and thus creating room for Reino to get that 5th contract.

Although I understand why ...

In 2018, I wanted JB to take a risk and sign Reinhart to a full 8 years. I think he would have jumped at the chance to sign for 6 mil. per for 8 years.

After this season, (unless he absolutely sucks), there’s no way he agrees to under 7.5 mil. Even on a short term deal. His contract last year and this year is a very very good deal. No way the next one will be.

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

You’d get the Vegas Golden Knights.

Or at least the version that went to the finals.

Possibly yes.  When too many teams pay top dollar to superstars and it leaves a lot more 'good' players there for the picking, then the way to build your team will be to get a team full of those 'good' players.  Trends take years to develop, but when everyone is doing one thing...the 'other' thing often works.

3 hours ago, Radar said:

This really makes for a good discussion. Fans buy tickets to see super stars vs to see winning team. I think definitely they will pay for wins. How to best build a winner? Probably depth not handful of elite players?

Might not be easy, but I bet a GM could trade one of these high priced/elite players for three or maybe four of these depth players for about the same AAV.  The theory being to solidify the middle six.  Building depth seems like it’s impervious to failure. ?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

And this raises the point I made elsewhere about whether Reino should get a fat long-term deal.  It's quite possible that the right number of those contracts on a team is 4 and not 5, and Point would absolutely be preferable to Reino for that 4th one.

OTOH, it wouldn't be crazy to bank on the cap continuing to rise and thus creating room for Reino to get that 5th contract.

In this scenario Reinhart probably gets moved to replace some of the assets given up to trade for Point 

38 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

Might not be easy, but I bet a GM could trade one of these high priced/elite players for three or maybe four of these depth players for about the same AAV.  The theory being to solidify the middle six.  Building depth seems like it’s impervious to failure. ?

Wasn’t this the ROR trade in a nutshell?

6 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

The league needs to investigate if they meet within 2 mil of that number. That would be such ***** garbage. Point was a top 10 player in the entire league last year.

I would very, very easily go more than DOUBLE that number on an offer sheet.

The league can't investigate anything, that's all on Point and the NHLPA. If anything it's them that would have an issue with this

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

The league can't investigate anything, that's all on Point and the NHLPA. If anything it's them that would have an issue with this

Unless they were throwing some money on the side, like say investing in a company he owns (I've heard that one about a certain QB that we all hate).

4 minutes ago, #freejame said:

MLB Trade Rumors is legit. No reason for his sister site not to be 

I was just saying as a general thought. Sorry if it seemed like I meant it about the NHL Trade Rumors site. I just see several of those “I have a secret source so I’m legit” guys trying to make a name for themselves.

Edited by Zamboni

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.