Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

How about Risto, Mitts, and a 1st for Point. Sign Point to a 1 year deal and as much money as we can afford. Then this offseason you can sign him to what he deserves. 8 years 9.5mil or so. 

That clears about 6.25mil in space for Buffalo. You can make another trade or waivers to clear another 1-2mil. Give Point 1yr at 7.5mil and then next summer pay the man. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 3

43 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Another interesting comment by Friedman was that he doesn't know if Risto requested a trade but other GM'S are operating under the assumption he has. If that's true they may be offering less thinking pressure is on us to trade him.

I think Risto is frustrated with being overused, frustrated with losing.  I think he could still be traded but it could depend on his usage in the preseason and how he responds to RFK's system, his personality, and whether he truly puts Risto in a position to succeed.

Let's say for a moment Risto is no longer frustrated and getting excited about the new coach.  If we don't trade him, which RHD would be next on the trading block, and what do we get in return?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

How about Risto, Mitts, and a 1st for Point. Sign Point to a 1 year deal and as much money as we can afford. Then this offseason you can sign him to what he deserves. 8 years 9.5mil or so. 

That clears about 6.25mil in space for Buffalo. You can make another trade or waivers to clear another 1-2mil. Give Point 1yr at 7.5mil and then next summer pay the man. 

I mean I'd love to do that, but why would Tampa trade an RFA center who put up over 40 goals and over 90 points at age 22 for that package? If I'm Tampa, I ask for Eichel, or Dahlin, or I laugh and hang up the phone

• Like (+1) 1

Winning heals a lot of things when it comes to sports. IF Risto stays, and IF the Sabres look real good this season and squeak into the playoffs, it may change Risto’s desire to leave. That’s of course assuming Risto doesn’t get traded all season. I think JB will move him. All it takes is one dumb GM to overpay, or a long term key injury (or break (Buff)) to have a GM desperate to make a move.

From Lebrun in the Athletic 

The Ducks, meanwhile, have also checked in on Ristolainen, according to sources. But the price from the Sabres was high. And it probably should be, given that Ristolainen has three more years at a very good cap hit, $5.4 million. The Sabres aren’t going to give the guy away. I would think within two to three weeks of the regular season getting underway, we should have a good idea of how the Ristolainen situation plays out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

From Lebrun in the Athletic 

The Ducks, meanwhile, have also checked in on Ristolainen, according to sources. But the price from the Sabres was high. And it probably should be, given that Ristolainen has three more years at a very good cap hit, $5.4 million. The Sabres aren’t going to give the guy away. I would think within two to three weeks of the regular season getting underway, we should have a good idea of how the Ristolainen situation plays out.

?

I know we have a lot of defensemen but I LOVE the Columbus defensemen and would try to acquire one

Imagine if we could pry out Savard *drools* I know he's not on the table though

Still, Risto+McCabe+good prospect + 1st for awesome forward, dump Scandy for a 3rd, and then try to get a Columbus defenseman with what's left

Now that's roster surgery 

9 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I know we have a lot of defensemen but I LOVE the Columbus defensemen and would try to acquire one

Imagine if we could pry out Savard *drools* I know he's not on the table though

Still, Risto+McCabe+good prospect + 1st for awesome forward, dump Scandy for a 3rd, and then try to get a Columbus defenseman with what's left

Now that's roster surgery 

In this general vein, I've been thinking about these kinds of trades where the Sabres move a number of guys out and bring a number of guys back into those same spots.

On paper it would look weird, but it makes sense if you're trying to get this team to do *any one thing* really well. 

Because that's what I think this team's biggest issue is. There are plenty of good teams that have areas of deficiency. There aren't really any perfect teams. 

I can't think of a single thing the Sabres are particularly good at. They're kinda bad, or at least mediocre, at everything. Shuffling a handful of players in and out might at least wake one facet of their identity up. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, darksabre said:

In this general vein, I've been thinking about these kinds of trades where the Sabres move a number of guys out and bring a number of guys back into those same spots.

On paper it would look weird, but it makes sense if you're trying to get this team to do *any one thing* really well. 

Because that's what I think this team's biggest issue is. There are plenty of good teams that have areas of deficiency. There aren't really any perfect teams. 

I can't think of a single thing the Sabres are particularly good at. They're kinda bad, or at least mediocre, at everything. Shuffling a handful of players in and out might at least wake one facet of their identity up. 

That's basically why I wouldn't wring my hands about defense if I was a Toronto fan. My only worry would be existing in Boston AND Tampa's division. 

Same goes for Pittsburgh any given year. It's also the same reason why I'm not down on Columbus even though they lost everything, presuming their goaltending doesn't completely die. They play suffocating hockey that generates from Jones-Werenski-Savard-Murray-Nutivaara, and they still have all of those guys. 

If we can establish a Nashville-like puck moving defense with a few key forward pieces, and the goalies don't die, it's possible to win games that way, and I agree with you that our defense as a whole is the closest unit we have to being good w.r.t. the rest of the league. 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

That's basically why I wouldn't wring my hands about defense if I was a Toronto fan. My only worry would be existing in Boston AND Tampa's division. 

Same goes for Pittsburgh any given year. It's also the same reason why I'm not down on Columbus even though they lost everything, presuming their goaltending doesn't completely die. They play suffocating hockey that generates from Jones-Werenski-Savard-Murray-Nutivaara, and they still have all of those guys. 

If we can establish a Nashville-like puck moving defense with a few key forward pieces, and the goalies don't die, it's possible to win games that way, and I agree with you that our defense as a whole is the closest unit we have to being good w.r.t. the rest of the league. 

I think the goal for this year should be to use that good defense to drive the team speed and draw a lot of penalties. I don't think we have the roster to score at even strength, but I think we could put a good defense-driven power play together. That seems like a realistic path to winning some games. 

14 minutes ago, darksabre said:

This is a good take.

It is the intent -and it is possible - we might become a team with a very good puck-moving back-end.

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This is a good take.

It is the intent -and it is possible - we might become a team with a very good puck-moving back-end.

The Sabres are probably not going to be a physical team, but they should at least be a quick one. Nylander for Jokiharju makes sense in that light. You want guys who are tenacious even if they aren't particularly offensively gifted. Which I think the Sabres have a number of. Rodrigues comes to mind. 

It'll be interesting to see if other slow players find themselves headed out the door. 

If you aren't scoring you need to be back checking and drawing penalties. 

22 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I think the goal for this year should be to use that good defense to drive the team speed and draw a lot of penalties. I don't think we have the roster to score at even strength, but I think we could put a good defense-driven power play together. That seems like a realistic path to winning some games. 

Drawing penalties is probably the most underrated skill out there. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

I think Risto is frustrated with being overused, frustrated with losing.  I think he could still be traded but it could depend on his usage in the preseason and how he responds to RFK's system, his personality, and whether he truly puts Risto in a position to succeed.

Let's say for a moment Risto is no longer frustrated and getting excited about the new coach.  If we don't trade him, which RHD would be next on the trading block, and what do we get in return?

Risto could be reborn under Krueger. A coach who may know how to use him properly and stabilize his metrics.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, darksabre said:

The Sabres are probably not going to be a physical team, but they should at least be a quick one. Nylander for Jokiharju makes sense in that light. You want guys who are tenacious even if they aren't particularly offensively gifted. Which I think the Sabres have a number of. Rodrigues comes to mind. 

It'll be interesting to see if other slow players find themselves headed out the door. 

If you aren't scoring you need to be back checking and drawing penalties. 

If you look at this morning’s lineups, the A group mostly reflects your identity, the B group does not.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ddaryl said:

Risto could be reborn under Krueger. A coach who may know how to use him properly and stabilize his metrics.

Risto could be reborn under ______*. A coach who may know how to use him properly and stabilize his metrics.

*- Nolan, Bylsma, Housley, Krueger

15 minutes ago, dudacek said:

If you look at this morning’s lineups, the A group mostly reflects your identity, the B group does not.

I had that same thought.  Then I looked at the B group and thought "would they really get rid of all those guys?'  My answer to myself was "no way", but....

Could something crazy and unprecedented be underway?  Once again, though, this is just a preseason practice lineup, so probably not.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.