Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

The story of Jack Johnson is definitely one of the sadder ones related to pro athletes losing their money. What awful parents. 

Agree.  It's terrible that you have to hire an independent advisor to keep your best interests forefront over your parents. 

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

You want to pay Laine 9mil a year? Not sure you could talk me into that deal. Laine straight up for Risto I might do but again, Laine is a 1 dimensional player. 

I would not want to pay Laine 9 milion / year, but that one dimension you keep talking about is one that the Sabres are very short on.  I would trade Risto for Laine straight up.

Now, for EHLERS!! (?) and Laine I would send Risto and anybody they wanted (not named Jack and Rasmus (the fantastic one)) to The Peg in a heartbeat.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, nfreeman said:

...which is kinda what JB did this year with Nylander, although not quite early enough to be a major surprise.  Trading Mitts, his own guy, a year earlier than Nylander was traded (relative to draft year) would be a major surprise and, yes, Belichikean.

There is no way Botteril is trading Mitts. Trading him would be further evidence of Botterils incompetence.  I could see Botteril trading Risto and Joker to get Ehlers or Laine. The Jets are desperate for right shot defensemen.  

2 hours ago, freester said:

There is no way Botteril is trading Mitts. Trading him would be further evidence of Botterils incompetence.  I could see Botteril trading Risto and Joker to get Ehlers or Laine. The Jets are desperate for right shot defensemen.  

You don't trade both, that would be silly.

13 hours ago, freester said:

You want to talk incompetence, trading Henri Jokiharju 2 months after acquiring him to get a 2nd line LW. 

5 minutes ago, freester said:

Ehlers and Laine are top line players. You have to give up value to get value.  

Patrik Laine is not a top line player. Ehlers might be but Laine is not currently. 

Why would we trade 2 RHD to get 1 2nd line winger? It just doesn't add up in my mind. 

Edited by LGR4GM

15 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Patrik Laine is not a top line player. Ehlers might be but Laine is not currently. 

Why would we trade 2 RHD to get 1 2nd line winger? It just doesn't add up in my mind. 

I disagree with your assessment of Laine.  He is a proven sniper and would help us tremendously, even if we played him on 2nd line.  Joker is unproven and one GM has already given up on him.  We are also loaded at RD and trading from a position of strength is necessary.

1 minute ago, freester said:

I disagree with your assessment of Laine.  He is a proven sniper and would help us tremendously, even if we played him on 2nd line.  Joker is unproven and one GM has already given up on him.  We are also loaded at RD and trading from a position of strength is necessary.

Proven lazy, expensive, and one dimensional. I'm not saying I wouldn't take Laine over Joker, just because objectively Laine brings more value for what you can afterwards trade him to another team for, but I want nothing to do with Laine, and everything to do with defensemen like Jokiharju

3 minutes ago, freester said:

Laine is a floater who literally scores 50% of his goals on the pp because that's how lazy he is. This is the 2nd year in a row where he's either at or just below 50% of his goals coming on the pp. He had 15 of 30 on the pp last season and 20 of 44 the year before. Teams figured him out. He does have a good shot but what else does he bring? I am not trading 2 RHD for a 2nd line LW and honestly, he's probably a 3rd line LW who gets 1st pp time. 

This line is such bullhockey. Why, because then every single trade is a GM giving up on a player so they must be trash. That is the literal logic. If a gm trades a player, they gave up on them. If they gave up on them, they are not good. So Skinner, Montour, ROR are all bad I suppose. 

We aren't loaded at LW? Here let me list the left wings on the Sabres.... Skinner, Johansson, Zemgus, Sheary, Vesey, Olofsson, Cj Smith

7 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Proven lazy, expensive, and one dimensional. I'm not saying I wouldn't take Laine over Joker, just because objectively Laine brings more value for what you can afterwards trade him to another team for, but I want nothing to do with Laine, and everything to do with defensemen like Jokiharju

100% this. 

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Laine is a floater who literally scores 50% of his goals on the pp because that's how lazy he is. This is the 2nd year in a row where he's either at or just below 50% of his goals coming on the pp. He had 15 of 30 on the pp last season and 20 of 44 the year before. Teams figured him out. He does have a good shot but what else does he bring? I am not trading 2 RHD for a 2nd line LW and honestly, he's probably a 3rd line LW who gets 1st pp time. 

This line is such bullhockey. Why, because then every single trade is a GM giving up on a player so they must be trash. That is the literal logic. If a gm trades a player, they gave up on them. If they gave up on them, they are not good. So Skinner, Montour, ROR are all bad I suppose. 

We aren't loaded at LW? Here let me list the left wings on the Sabres.... Skinner, Johansson, Zemgus, Sheary, Vesey, Olofsson, Cj Smith

100% this. 

Quibble - scoring half of your goals on the power play isn't evidence of laziness. It's a lot easier to score on the power play, and that could just as easily be due to skill. In 2006-07, Crosby had more than half of his production on the power play. 

That said, he has been accused of laziness. But fixing that wouldn't guarantee fixing that percentage, because of how deadly his shot is on the PP, so he'll always have a mammoth number of PP goals that are hard for anyone to keep up with at ES

• Like (+1) 1

That's fair. I just went back and rewatched every goal he scored last season. It is shocking how many of them are him just sitting in space waiting to get the puck passed to him. If he worked and still had that shot he would be an All Star. But he just sits off or trails the play and waits for someone to feed him. It is probably why he goes long stretches without goals. If you think you can fix him, make the trade but also you have to be willing to give him Skinner money. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.