Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

18 hours ago, Tondas said:

Please tell me where I can get a guaranteed 3-4% return today.  And again, past performance is not indicative of future results.

Simple. Bonds. A long-term bond ETF will pay you 3%. This yield is depressed right now because bonds have gone on a run because people think the world is about to end, so if you are patient, one can get 4% or more. Plus, you reinvest the dividends until you need them and compounding interest will make some very wealthy if they have $5M to spare. The risk is very low considering shareholders get wiped out in a bankruptcy, but the company still have to pay their debt. 

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

Simple. Bonds. A long-term bond ETF will pay you 3%. This yield is depressed right now because bonds have gone on a run because people think the world is about to end, so if you are patient, one can get 4% or more. Plus, you reinvest the dividends until you need them and compounding interest will make some very wealthy if they have $5M to spare. The risk is very low considering shareholders get wiped out in a bankruptcy, but the company still have to pay their debt. 

This seems about right. I mean, if you have $5M sitting around and don't have grand designs for it, you can almost certainly generate a steady, significant flow of investment income off it.

I wish 15k people bought tickets to watch me to my job. It would be fairly boring, but my results would be significantly better than this team for the last decade. 

Also the burnout in my career is nearly as high as is it is for an athlete's realistic working age. 

These divas can kindly sod off with their unrealistic demands. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

That's going to turn into a steal quickly IMO

He’s probably close to his ceiling at 24, hasn’t eclipsed 31 points on a team that was able to surround him with talent. It’s certainly a good deal but 50 million as a “steal” is probably pushing it. 

Projects out as a 2nd pair defender.  

Edited by Thorny

27 minutes ago, Thorny said:

He’s probably close to his ceiling at 24, hasn’t eclipsed 31 points on a team that was able to surround him with talent. It’s certainly a good deal but 50 million as a “steal” is probably pushing it. 

Projects out as a 2nd pair defender.  

Pointzzzzzzz

I love Morrissey 

16 minutes ago, Thorny said:

?

I can try again.

The dude has played 3 seasons. In the most recent one, you neglect to mention those 31 points came in under 60 games, and so his pace was about 43, which would have put him tied for 25th in defensemen scoring in just his third NHL season. Further, Josh's strengths lay in between his ears and in his legs. He's not an offensive-only defenseman. ie, his continued development is not going to rely on physical development, which is usually what happens to end a typical player's development curve and have them settle in at what they really are for the bulk of their career. Because of that, age is far less relevant to this development than experience. We sang a completely different tune from this "pretty much near his ceiling" at the end of Jack & Sam's third year, and we're going to do the same with Dahlin. Like Anton Stralman, Marc Vlasic, Brian Campbell, I think he's going to be one of those defenders that never stops learning and growing as a player, right until the very end when things start to break down. That's why I really like this deal and think it's going to look good when we're paying Dahlin more than twice as much and UFAs like Trouba see even an increase from what Trouba got. Or when we look at Faulk's contract, which may well be more expensive. That will become even MORE severe 3,4,5,6 years down the line, and then Morrissey is going to be a steal for what I project to be a rock solid #2 defenseman, which isn't an outrageous projection for a player as fluid and smart as Morrissey who's already done what he's done through just 3 seasons

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I can try again.

The dude has played 3 seasons. In the most recent one, you neglect to mention those 31 points came in under 60 games, and so his pace was about 43, which would have put him tied for 25th in defensemen scoring in just his third NHL season. Further, Josh's strengths lay in between his ears and in his legs. He's not an offensive-only defenseman. ie, his continued development is not going to rely on physical development, which is usually what happens to end a typical player's development curve and have them settle in at what they really are for the bulk of their career. Because of that, age is far less relevant to this development than experience. We sang a completely different tune from this "pretty much near his ceiling" at the end of Jack & Sam's third year, and we're going to do the same with Dahlin. Like Anton Stralman, Marc Vlasic, Brian Campbell, I think he's going to be one of those defenders that never stops learning and growing as a player, right until the very end when things start to break down. That's why I really like this deal and think it's going to look good when we're paying Dahlin more than twice as much and UFAs like Trouba see even an increase from what Trouba got. Or when we look at Faulk's contract, which may well be more expensive. That will become even MORE severe 3,4,5,6 years down the line, and then Morrissey is going to be a steal for what I project to be a rock solid #2 defenseman, which isn't an outrageous projection for a player as fluid and smart as Morrissey who's already done what he's done through just 3 seasons

Why Dahlin would even enter into the conversation here is beyond me. I’m never going to look at Morrissey’s contract as good relative to the contract of our perennially in the Norris conversation D-man. 

I’ve already stated it’s “certainly a good deal”. But there’s no relative “win” for Morrissey’s deal vs what Dahlin will get. IMO Dahlin’s value will be = his $, at least. Have a lot of faith in him. 

Regarding the rest of your write-up, I’m not denying he’s a good player. But I don’t think 6.25 million is far off his value as an RFA. Some of the other guys are blowing things up a bit but to me that figure doesn’t seem far off from “fair”. It just feels like people are so used to seeing players overpaid in UFA that when an RFA signs a fair deal it’s like “STEAL!” I think he got paid what he deserves. 

Is there a chance he exceeds it sure. I still think he’s not far off from his ceiling. 3 seasons sure but he is 24 and to your Jack point, I think he’s getting closer to his too.

If I wasn’t singing that he was close to his ceiling last summer, it’s probably because he was still 22. I’m not sure I agree that cerebral players rely less on the physical for development, if anything that would represent the area where most improvement could be mined. 

Regardless, if there’s a jump coming, you’d think it could be this year. 4th season is when Sam broke out, having an extra year on him age wise too, and with his expanded role this year. 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.