Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

16 minutes ago, ... said:

No, because Bob was off all summer and his post came off more as an opinion than someone "in-the-know".

I’ll politely disagree. McKenzie sets the standard for all insiders and said that he still receives information from agents and teams, depending on its importance he suspends his Summer Twitter Hiatus to pass the information along. 

He also ended his vacation and started tweeting  again on September 2nd, so even in the unlikely event he did not receive any information all summer, he has had at least a week to ask around. 

The situation with Risto feels a bit too similar to the situations with Kane and O'Reilly.  Sabres will be trading the player and we get our hopes up for a significant return.  Unfortunately, it did not happen with Kane or O'Reilly, and I doubt it will with Risto.  It just seems that when a team is openly shopping a player for an extended period and the player does not want to play for the team, the prospect of getting a decent return for the player is negatively impacted and diminishes the longer the situation continues. 

39 minutes ago, ... said:

No, because Bob was off all summer and his post came off more as an opinion than someone "in-the-know".

18 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I’ll politely disagree. McKenzie sets the standard for all insiders and said that he still receives information from agents and teams, depending on its importance he suspends his Summer Twitter Hiatus to pass the information along. 

He also ended his vacation and started tweeting  again on September 2nd, so even in the unlikely event he did not receive any information all summer, he has had at least a week to ask around. 

I’m with Brawndo 100 per cent on this.

McKenzie does not make posts like that unless the has heard something.

In regards to the off-season, as @Thorny pointed out in regards to the Leafs and Tavares, while people always focus on the big names coming in, what’s going out matters as well.

If you subscribe to the idea that the Sabres biggest holes were offensive depth and mobile defencemen, this is what they’ve done to that part of the roster since the deadline:

Johansson for Sobotka

Vesey for Pominville

Olofsson for Thompson

Montour for Beaulieu

Miller for Pilut/Scandella

That’s 1/4 of the roster and an upgrade at every spot, no matter how hard you want to argue for Pommer ?

• Like (+1) 4

36 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’m with Brawndo 100 per cent on this.

McKenzie does not make posts like that unless the has heard something.

In regards to the off-season, as @Thorny pointed out in regards to the Leafs and Tavares, while people always focus on the big names coming in, what’s going out matters as well.

If you subscribe to the idea that the Sabres biggest holes were offensive depth and mobile defencemen, this is what they’ve done to that part of the roster since the deadline:

Johansson for Sobotka

Vesey for Pominville

Olofsson for Thompson

Montour for Beaulieu

Miller for Pilut/Scandella

That’s 1/4 of the roster and an upgrade at every spot, no matter how hard you want to argue for Pommer ?

Without taking the bait on Pominville/Vesey, my issue lies with the bolded. Depth wasn’t the issue, even if it was before the GM decided to trade a top 6 talent to attempt to address it. 

We all collectively said what the problem was all year: the top 6, notably needing an entire new 2nd line, as @Taro T so often adequately put it. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Without taking the bait on Pominville/Vesey, my issue lies with the bolded. Depth wasn’t the issue, even if it was before the GM decided to trade a top 6 talent to attempt to address it. 

We all collectively said what the problem was all year: the top 6, notably needing an entire new 2nd line, as @Taro T so often adequately put it. 

Semantics perhaps, but my impression was Sabrespace was very happy with Jack Jeff and Sam as a first line and OK with Girgs Larry and whoever as 4th line. We wanted secondary scoring and a revamped middle six.

Semantics aside, I think what it comes down though is 2nd line centre remains a glaring hole.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Semantics perhaps, but my impression was Sabrespace was very happy with Jack Jeff and Sam as a first line and OK with Girgs Larry and whoever as 4th line. We wanted secondary scoring and a revamped middle six.

Semantics aside, I think what it comes down though is 2nd line centre remains a glaring hole.

If we are being honest, 2C was the biggest rallying call and as you mentioned remains unaddressed. 

A situation only complicated by the fact 2 other top 6 positions are in varying levels of “hope” category for if we’ve even addressed them. Johansson being reasonable (2LW) and 1RW being a crapshoot where if we are being honest, the odds are against us. 

We are filling out a Bingo card here and don’t have enough “Free Space!”s to go around. 

Edited by Thorny

5 hours ago, Briere48 said:

No clue who this guy is and i doubt he has any sources, but figured i'd post it in here for that small chance he's not BSing.

He’s basing it on an unattributed DM he received that stated it’s Laine for McCabe and two 1sts.

Please, let’s exercise some discretion when it comes to posting stuff.

(Also, it appears that he deleted that Tweet.)

4 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

He’s basing it on an unattributed DM he received that stated it’s Laine for McCabe and two 1sts.

Please, let’s exercise some discretion when it comes to posting stuff.

(Also, it appears that he deleted that Tweet.)

I don't mind its a rumour thread and I want them all ?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.