Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

'Twas indeed an excellent point, and it could indeed result in one of those "rich team pays for the expensive injured guy and gets a good asset from a budget team in return" situations.

Of course, the incentive for Anaheim disappears if Kesler's contract is in fact insured. 

Unless he wants to play.  That could throw a monkey wrench into the whole thing.

4 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Who knows how he comes back.  If he comes back it's because he's physically able to.  His last 2 seasons have been really bad and he was obviously playing injured for at least last year.  If he comes back and feels like he can play then he can probably contribute in a bottom 6 role either at center or on the wing if he can't handle the defensive responsibility of center anymore.

There are ways of dissuading a player from returning too.  If it's clear that he can't keep up any more but he's hell bent on playing then you make it clear that if he comes back he's going to be riding the bus in Rochester.  Makes sitting at home, wherever his home happens to be, and collecting 6.675M for 3 straight years, sound a lot more palatable. You can pay me 20M dollars to enjoy my house in Orange County while trying to not be in joint grinding pain every day.  That's fine.

If the hip resurfacing works and he can be a productive player again all the better for the Sabres.

Sending a guy like that down to the minors against his wishes is a dangerous move.  If things get ugly, you better believe that other players notice it.  If you treat a well respected guy poorly, the next guy is going to be reluctant to sign a contract and will look elsewhere.  I know we're all thinking Moulson when we talk this scenario, but that move was done in cooperation with him.

It's all probably a moot point when it comes to Kesler though.  He has a no movement clause, so he has to agree to be sent to the minors.  I say "probably" because I'm not completely sure if waiving the NMC to allow a trade also removes the AHL portion of that clause for any future moves.

17 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Chad DeDominicis had some interesting things to say about a potential Risto on his podcast. He mentioned after conversations he had their is a 70% chance that Risto is not a Sabre come training camp. There is a belief the Sabres will get something done prior to training camp. He mentioned that the previous suspects Detroit, Florida, Anaheim and Winnipeg are likely partners. He was told a Western Conference Team was most interested and he believes that the framework of a deal is in place. He believes that it is waiting for one or two things to happen around the league  and that Risto's Agent could be told in the next week or so a trade has happened. 

He has heard that Anaheim was interested in Risto and he was discussed around the time of the Montour Trade. Ondrej Kase is Botterill's reported ask, but Anaheim wants Buffalo to take a contract back either Henrique or Kesler(both have trade protection though).

With Winnipeg would it be Roslovic and Perrault? Or Roslovic and a pick? 

Roslovic would probably get a shot as RW on Eichel's Line or does Botterill send the pick to LA for Tyler Toffoli and there is Eichel's RW. 

Toffoli at 4.6 Million and Roslovic at 860k would be a wash with Ristolanen's Salary leaving. 

Both Toffoli(8), Roslovic(7) and of course Risto (1)are on The Hockey News Ten Top Trade List 

So if there is truth to all this, and that the RFA situation is holding things back, then the likeliest scenario is Botts has a tentative deal in place with the Ducks.

He has yet to pull the trigger on that deal because the Jets are also interested in Risto and need more time to sort out the Laine/Connor scenario before they can make a firm offer.

There will come a point (according to Chad, it could be as soon as next week) where the Jets will be asked to ***** or get off the pot. And at that point Risto will be moved.

And, if you want to bring Friedman’s recent Tweet into it, the Sabres expect to gain enough cap space in the deal to sign Jake Gardiner.

Kase, by the way, has two years left at $2.6. Roslovic just finished his ELC and is an RFA.

Edited by dudacek

2 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Here's an interesting scenario I thought of

Ristolainen & Girgs

for

Rakell & Kesler(50%) + a 3rd in 2022

That's an interesting thought.  I'm not sure that Anaheim would be doing that though, or else they could have just kept Montour.  

Edited by TheCerebral1

14 minutes ago, Weave said:

Noone commenting on the Adam Henrique part of that report.  Are we averse to Henrique coming back in exchange for Risto?

Looks a lot like Turris to me, similar age, similar contract, similar play.

So yes, most will be averse, even if he is the cap dump along with Kase.

If he was the main piece, a better word would be apoplectic.

15 minutes ago, Weave said:

Noone commenting on the Adam Henrique part of that report.  Are we averse to Henrique coming back in exchange for Risto?

I think Buffalo would certainly be losing in a one for one Risto for Henrique deal, but maybe with significant adds from Anaheim's side it would be possible. Henrique will be turning 30 next February, just came off a pretty bad season, and has a pretty rough (5,825,000 AAV) cap hit. Obviously Rakell is the big fish from Anaheim, but another interesting player would be Daniel Sprong. He's a pure goal scorer with a lethal shot, though Anaheim might not be willing to part with him, as they are rebuilding and he may be considered part of their young core.

2 minutes ago, NAF said:

I think Buffalo would certainly be losing in a one for one Risto for Henrique deal, but maybe with significant adds from Anaheim's side it would be possible. Henrique will be turning 30 next February, just came off a pretty bad season, and has a pretty rough (5,825,000 AAV) cap hit. Obviously Rakell is the big fish from Anaheim, but another interesting player would be Daniel Sprong. He's a pure goal scorer with a lethal shot, though Anaheim might not be willing to part with him, as they are rebuilding and he may be considered part of their young core.

Problem with Spronge is Anaheim is doing what we did couple years back, replace aging vets with youth. They brought in Sprong from Pitt to help that youth movement. But Rakell is 26, has 3 years left, and Anaheim will continue to retool that Age to youth transition over the next couple of seasons as they build competition for a couple years down the road imo.

2 minutes ago, NAF said:

I have less interest in Daniel Sprong than Henrique. Just a self-centred, spoiled douche. Unless I see clear evidence he’s grown up, I wouldn’t trade Tage Thompson for him.

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I have less interest in Daniel Sprong than Henrique. Just a self-centred, spoiled douche. Unless I see clear evidence he’s grown up, I wouldn’t trade Tage Thompson for him.

YIKES!

The Sprong is NOT strong in this one...…………………..can't blame you though. But, Tage? I'm scared, very scared, that's the way Botterill feels to, at least, about Tage.

20 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

If Botterill takes a bad contract back in a Risto trade he should be fired before he's able to make the trade call. Especially if that bad contract doesn't have a bona-fide 2C attached to it. 

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Exactly what I wanted to hear thoughts on. Does Henrique represent a cap dump and does it make a trade with Anaheim where Kase is the main piece coming back a bad trade?

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, Weave said:

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Looks a lot like Turris to me, similar age, similar contract, similar play.

So yes, most will be averse, even if he is the cap dump along with Kase.

If he was the main piece, a better word would be apoplectic.

I'd rather have Turris because Turris at his best was a really good 2C. Henrique has been spectacularly mediocre his entire career. 

12 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Exactly what I wanted to hear thoughts on. Does Henrique represent a cap dump and does it make a trade with Anaheim where Kase is the main piece coming back a bad trade?

I don't know enough about Kase to know it would be a bad trade, but Henrique has an Okposo-bad contract. 

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I can't find any super solid data on bad attitude claims. It doesn't mean they aren't true, but I don't think they would be grounds to completely rule Sprong out of the possibility of a trade. He strikes me as a Vanek-esque player -- I've heard he's defensively irresponsible, but he can put the puck in the net. Either way, maybe a second trade in three years would help him change his attitude if it is indeed an issue.

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I'd rather have Turris because Turris at his best was a really good 2C. Henrique has been spectacularly mediocre his entire career. 

I don't know enough about Kase to know it would be a bad trade, but Henrique has an Okposo-bad contract. 

Well you said you'd want Botterill fired in that scenario so I'm assuming that means you gotta think its a bad trade ?

Edited by Thorny

Ek is reporting Risto for Mantha as the centerpieces of a 5 player deal.  Does this make it unlikely to happen? Probably. I know others have mentioned a similar deal elsewhere.  Would we really trade Risto within the Division?  Is Mantha as the centerpiece make the deal even interesting?  

More wait and see but count me a skeptical.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.