Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

21 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

If there's any truth to that, it would seem to increase the likelihood of the Risto deal being for futures. Not sure where we'd find the cap space for Gardiner if not from what we've already allocated to Ristolainen. 

Our forwards would be a mess but you'd have to love a d-unit consisting of:

Dahlin - Montour

Gardiner - Miller

McCabe - Jokiharju

and then

Dahlin - Montour

Gardiner - Miller

Pilut - Jokiharju

The puck moving acumen in the second unit in particular would be insane. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 5

Chad DeDominicis had some interesting things to say about a potential Risto on his podcast. He mentioned after conversations he had their is a 70% chance that Risto is not a Sabre come training camp. There is a belief the Sabres will get something done prior to training camp. He mentioned that the previous suspects Detroit, Florida, Anaheim and Winnipeg are likely partners. He was told a Western Conference Team was most interested and he believes that the framework of a deal is in place. He believes that it is waiting for one or two things to happen around the league  and that Risto's Agent could be told in the next week or so a trade has happened. 

He has heard that Anaheim was interested in Risto and he was discussed around the time of the Montour Trade. Ondrej Kase is Botterill's reported ask, but Anaheim wants Buffalo to take a contract back either Henrique or Kesler(both have trade protection though).

With Winnipeg would it be Roslovic and Perrault? Or Roslovic and a pick? 

Roslovic would probably get a shot as RW on Eichel's Line or does Botterill send the pick to LA for Tyler Toffoli and there is Eichel's RW. 

Toffoli at 4.6 Million and Roslovic at 860k would be a wash with Ristolanen's Salary leaving. 

Both Toffoli(8), Roslovic(7) and of course Risto (1)are on The Hockey News Ten Top Trade List 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 3

So it's gonna be a winger, looks like. Chad has a pretty good track record. That's what was available for Risto, or Botterill determined a wing acquisition would represent the best value Risto would return in a trade. Supplement the wings and the D, and try and hold the fort until Mittelstadt is ready.

Electing to not address the centre ice position after the fiasco there last season will either turn out to be a gutsy decision by the GM or a foolhardy one. Such patience at addressing the C position may imply he's got a flexible timeline.

Does Kase or Roslovic even represent a bonafide top 6 addition? Not that familiar with Kase. I think Toffoli would and that would be my preferred outcome.

Edited by Thorny

34 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Chad DeDominicis had some interesting things to say about a potential Risto on his podcast. He mentioned after conversations he had their is a 70% chance that Risto is not a Sabre come training camp. There is a belief the Sabres will get something done prior to training camp. He mentioned that the previous suspects Detroit, Florida, Anaheim and Winnipeg are likely partners. He was told a Western Conference Team was most interested and he believes that the framework of a deal is in place. He believes that it is waiting for one or two things to happen around the league  and that Risto's Agent could be told in the next week or so a trade has happened. 

He has heard that Anaheim was interested in Risto and he was discussed around the time of the Montour Trade. Ondrej Kase is Botterill's reported ask, but Anaheim wants Buffalo to take a contract back either Henrique or Kesler(both have trade protection though).

Roslovic would probably get a shot as RW on Eichel's Line or does Botterill send the pick to LA for Tyler Toffoli and there is Eichel's RW. 

Toffoli at 4.6 Million and Roslovic at 860k would be a wash with Ristolanen's Salary leaving. 

Both Toffoli(8), Roslovic(7) and of course Risto (1)are on The Hockey News Ten Top Trade List 

If Botterill takes a bad contract back in a Risto trade he should be fired before he's able to make the trade call. Especially if that bad contract doesn't have a bona-fide 2C attached to it. 

• Like (+1) 4

50 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

If the Sabres trade Risto and all they get from the Jets is Roslovic and a pick, Sabres twitter will burn down. Roslovic is seen in Winnipeg like Nylander was seen here by the fanbase. I never believed it all, but it's funny how when the summer began it was all Laine or Ehlers and if it gets done and it's just Roslovic, that will be a interesting day on Sabres social media to say the least,

Kase was identified by an analytics guy recently in the Athletic as this season’s top breakout candidate in the entire NHL.

None of those teams on Brawndo’s list is tied to one of the RFA logjams except the Jets.

Edited by dudacek

“1. Ondrej Kase, RW, Anaheim Ducks

Still one of the best kept secrets in the league, I have a feeling Kase is going to have a big-time breakout performance in 2019-20. He’s been scoring at an elite rate over the past two seasons (ranking 36th in the NHL in points per 60 minutes at 5-on-5), but we haven’t seen him put up monster totals yet, largely due to the fact that he hasn’t been given opportunities higher in the lineup.

Now that Anaheim has moved on from Corey Perry, it looks like Kase is going to get significantly more minutes in high-leverage situations (first line at even strength and potentially top unit PP as well).

Even though Ryan Getzlaf isn’t quite what he was a few years ago, I love the thought of playing him alongside a shooter like Kase, who generated the second most shots per 60 in the league at 5-on-5 last season (behind Brendan Gallagher). Kase can also help shoulder the load in transition for his line thanks to his phenomenal puck-carrying ability.

You’re not reading that wrong; over the last three seasons, Kase ranks in the 99th percentile of clean zone exits and zone entries per 60 minutes, not to mention the 98th percentile of shots per 60. If he gets the boost in ice time he deserves, I expect him to have a dominant 2019-20 season.” - Tulloch

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

The guy doesn’t have any recent season with a full slate of games, from what I can tell. Has he been injury plagued? 

30 last year, 67 the year before and 67 the year before that, between the AHL/ NHL. 25 the year before that, total, in the AHL.

Edited by Thorny

The hyperbole seems a bit over the top there.  I realize it's subjective, I have a hard time labeling 36th in points per 60 minutes 5-on-5 as elite.  I'm not exactly sure where I'd place the line, but 36 would definitely be behind it.  People tend to go a bit too far in justifying the prospects/younger guys.

Edited by shrader
  • Thanks (+1) 1

According to Ben Kuzma of the Vancouver Province, Brock Boeser's agent Ben Hankinson "has an appetite for a four-year extension at $7 million annually" for his client this summer.

A four-year, $28 million contract for Boeser would top that of San Jose Sharks forward Timo Meier, who signed a four-year, $24 million deal in July and was noted to be a comparable to Boeser by Canucks general manager Jim Benning on Monday.

https://www.tsn.ca/report-vancouver-canucks-f-brock-boeser-eyeing-four-year-28m-deal-1.1354385

Well, I don't know anything about Kase, but he'd better be pretty GD good if the Sabres have to take Kesler, who turns 35 in 9 days, has a $6.675MM cap hit for 2 more seasons after this coming one and had 8 pts in 60 games last year.

OTOH, I've always liked Kesler's blood-and-guts qualities, and if the Sabres could unload KO as part of the deal, I would probably do it (assuming Kase is the real deal).

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shrader said:

They hyperbole seems a bit over the top there.  I realize it's subjective, I have a hard time labeling 36th in points per 60 minutes 5-on-5 as elite.  I'm not exactly sure where I'd place the line, but 36 would definitely be behind it.  People tend to go a bit too far in justifying the prospects/younger guys.

I think I could make a cutoff for "elite" around there - that's the top third of all top liners, or roughly within the top 7/8% of all forwards to skate in the NHL. 

Now, I wouldn't call a player elite just because they had a P/60 in that range, that's a different story. 

My tier of descriptive words would probably go generational, superstar, star, elite, very good etc. 

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

So Boeser isn't the problem, eh? That's a completely reasonable ask IMO 

Edited by Randall Flagg

1 minute ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Kesler might not play hockey again.  He gutted it out to get to 1,001 games played then shut it down and had hip surgery, that indicates to me that HE isn't sure he will play again either.  He won't play this year, will go on LTIR, and might not play again.  If he was a Chris Pronger situation where I didn't have to eat the cap hit and just pay him his money in order to bring in Kase that would be worth it.

This is an excellent point, similar to what Toronto did with Clarkson and Horton. 

Plus insurance picks up most of the AAV for players on LTIR I believe 

18 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

This is an excellent point, similar to what Toronto did with Clarkson and Horton. 

You do run into the game of being below the cap before placing them on LTIR like Toronto is playing right now. It’s a headache that would probably be great to avoid if possible. 

@Randall Flagg, it’s all a matter of semantics, but superstar and elite are interchangeable in my head.  I hear that term and I think of the top tier immediately. 

14 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I've watched Kase closely over the past few years here in OC.   He's very gifted, flashes eye popping skill, but has had injury issues.   

I'd welcome him with open arms in exchange for Risto.    

Screen_Shot_2019_08_04_at_8.07.06_PM.png

Was hoping you'd chime in - I've only watched like 6-8 Ducks games the last two years, but he was among the most noticeable players on the ice every time I've seen him.

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Was hoping you'd chime in - I've only watched like 6-8 Ducks games the last two years, but he was among the most noticeable players on the ice every time I've seen him.

His play reminds me of Pastrnak.    If I'm the Ducks GM there's no way I trade him unless I get an offer I can't refuse... and that's not Risto!

1 hour ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Kesler might not play hockey again.  He gutted it out to get to 1,001 games played then shut it down and had hip surgery, that indicates to me that HE isn't sure he will play again either.  He won't play this year, will go on LTIR, and might not play again.  If he was a Chris Pronger situation where I didn't have to eat the cap hit and just pay him his money in order to bring in Kase that would be worth it.

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

'Twas indeed an excellent point, and it could indeed result in one of those "rich team pays for the expensive injured guy and gets a good asset from a budget team in return" situations.

Of course, the incentive for Anaheim disappears if Kesler's contract is in fact insured. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.