Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Drunkard said:

I think it was Botterill trying to save face after the horrible trade of he who won't be named. The trade was and still is garbage but it would have looked even worse if Thompson (the only potentially prime piece in the return) and Mittelstadt (the supposed plan B and long term plan A for 2nd line center) were playing in Rochester. Especially since Berglund (likely the temporary plan A for 2nd line center) was only good enough to earn spot centering the 4th line before he quit and Sobotka (valuable depth!) played poorly enough that he should have been watching from the press box or shot directly into the sun.

If that's the case, he should be fired.   Immediately.

32 minutes ago, Ho-Chi-Sock said:

Good to know that I don't need to bother watching any games this year since the Nostradumasses here already know that Sobotka is going to be on the first line and JBot's giving Mitts the captaincy or whatever

If that's what you got out of the above conversation, we aren't the jaded ones. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Just caught the last segment of Jbot on the Instigators and a few things caught my attention.

1) He expects Mitts to take a big step this year and plans to surround him with 2 of Vesey Johansson or Reinhart.

2) Vesey was acquired because he drives to the net to score

3) Marcus Johansson was acquired because of his puck possession skills and his playoff experience and leadership.

4) Willing to send anyone to the minors if they lose their jobs to kids in camp.

5) Had conversations with Risto about his role and minutes going forwardSaid he plays best when he plays against tough competition and effectiveness drops in the 3rd period because of to many minutes.

6) Miller, Montour and Jokiharju were acquired because they skate well and get the puck out of the zone quickly.  They make a great first pass.

7) Reinhart is vastly improved and he expects that to continue to show this coming season.

Conclusions.

I am not longer expecting a big trade between now and camp. His comments about Risto and Mitts seem to say that Risto is staying and Mitts is the No 2 center. Sorry.  Obviously the right deal comes along he’ll likely take it, but right now Risto is staying.  He did imply he is still trying to improve the wingers. 

I think he is content to keep the current group and allow the 33 possible skaters to battle it out for the 20-21 slots.

Oh thanks I hate it!

- - - 

Edit, the last bolded: So this year is a glorified training camp for next year? 

Edited by Thorny

6 hours ago, Derrico said:

I didn't hear the interview but challenging Mitts to take a big step this season does not equal him being cool with Mitts as 2C.  No matter where he is lined up Mitts is being counted on as a big part of the future and he NEEDS to step up.  I think the best opportunity for that is bringing in a 2C and allowing him to develop on the third line with less pressure.  I still think a decent trade is coming but as others have mentioned it won't surprise me if it comes in September.

Great our new 2C can join the long list of top 6 centres moved to a new team every year in September. 

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I listened again to Jbot’s comment on Mitts.  He said “We are looking for Casey Mittlestadt to take a jump this year.” “Whether’s it’s Sam Reinhart, Marcus Johansson, Jimmy Vesey we know we are going to put good wingers with him giving him a better opportunity for success.”

This does sound like 2C. Botts traded ROR because he had a 2C on the roster in Mittelstadt and he’ll be that 2C come training camp every year until he actually deserves it, dammit! 

• Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I can't see the Pegula's and Botterill passing another year of Jacks young years away. There has to be more coming.

I don’t think they care. I’m reminded yet again of Friedman’s statement regarding Botterill and the 2018 draft lottery: Botterill was looking to “tear it down to the studs” and Dahlin would make that easiest. 

They are building a roster to be competitive during Dahlin’s prime. He’s the golden boy now anyways for the fandom at large. Eichel and Reinhart’s first few years failed due to a weak veteran leadership core. Now they must be the leadership core of 25, 26, 27 or so when the Dahlins and Mittelstadts and Cozens are entering their primes. 

Right strategy or wrong, they’ve bumped the timeline down a few more years. Botterill makes the playoffs by the end of his 5th year he’ll get his extension. 

Edited by Thorny

40 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Edit, the last bolded: So this year is a glorified training camp for next year? 

Oh man, you’re like a dog on a bone with this one.

I’m not saying you don’t have reason to be, I just hope you’re wrong.

Words, as they say, are wind, but Botterill also said in that interview that we have to be in the playoff race this year.

Rebuilds are often five-year plans, but jumps are usually expected in year two or three. (Followed by slips the next year, but let’s get the jump out of the way first ?)

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Oh man, you’re like a dog on a bone with this one.

I’m not saying you don’t have reason to be, I just hope you’re wrong.

Words, as they say, are wind, but Botterill also said in that interview that we have to be in the playoff race this year.

Rebuilds are often five-year plans, but jumps are usually expected in year two or three. (Followed by slips the next year, but let’s get the jump out of the way first ?)

Sure am. Until the GM actually builds a good roster I'm not going to just assume he will. I'd obviously, much, much rather be wrong about this offseason but if I am right...hey at least I'm right. 

Second bolded is too ambiguous. Playoff race up until when? We were in it until Feb/March last year, technically. Find me a GM who can be quoted as saying "We do not expect to be in the playoff race this year". 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I don’t think they care. I’m reminded yet again of Friedman’s statement regarding Botterill and the 2018 draft lottery: Botterill was looking to “tear it down to the studs” and Dahlin would make that easiest. 

They are building a roster to be competitive during Dahlin’s prime. He’s the golden boy now anyways for the fandom at large. Eichel and Reinhart’s first few years failed due to a weak veteran leadership core. Now they must be the leadership core of 25, 26, 27 or so when the Dahlins and Mittelstadts and Cozens are entering their primes. 

Right strategy or wrong, they’ve bumped the timeline down a few more years. Botterill makes the playoffs by the end of his 5th year he’ll get his extension. 

Botterill will be fired if he doesn't make the playoffs by the end of his 4th year. And he's not safe if there isn't substantial improvement by the end of his 3rd year. Also, there will be a massive roster firesale if this team can't make the playoffs within the next 2 seasons. No one but Dahlin will be safe. Eichel especially will be gone. This is why it is in everyone's best interest to try and make the playoffs THIS season.

Edited by Marchand'sNose
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Marchand'sNose said:

Botterill will be fired if he doesn't make the playoffs by the end of his 4th year. And he's not safe if there isn't substantial improvement by the end of his 3rd year. Also, there will be a massive roster firesale if this team can't make the playoffs within the next 2 seasons. Everyone but Dahlin won't be safe. Eichel especially will be gone. It's in everyone's best interests to try and make the playoffs THIS season.

Maybe.

People are saying the timeline is improvement(bubble team, at most) this year, playoffs next. I'm simply shifting it back a year, thinking it's Small improvement, Bubble Team, Playoffs. 

Dahlin's first non-ELC year. (Expansion year, first (full?) year after potential lockout)

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Maybe.

People are saying the timeline is improvement(bubble team, at most) this year, playoffs next. I'm simply shifting it back a year, thinking it's Small improvement, Bubble Team, Playoffs. 

Small improvement basically means getting back to Bylsma's (and Eichel's) first season of 81 points, no? So no progress after 4 seasons....this is simply unacceptable.

9 minutes ago, Marchand'sNose said:

Small improvement basically means getting back to Bylsma's (and Eichel's) first season of 81 points, no? So no progress after 4 seasons....this is simply unacceptable.

They'll take better if they can get it. It's not impossible that enough young guys take a big enough jump that they exceed expectations. I've been saying that all along. It's just my main thing is that I wouldn't want to bet on it. 

59 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Mittelstadts only problem was conditioning and he’s had a full off season. Y’all are way too hard on the kid who played with trash all year and was obviously sucking wind. 

Hope he finds a Risto trade. Glad to hear hes putting vets in the hot seat. 

It wasn't so much conditioning as it was simply still being a kid.  Maybe he's gotten the strength he needed to be able to win those lose puck battles (and adds at least 5 more goals just from getting his stick on the tap ins; not even considering any other improved chances) in the offensive end & force his opponents away from the slot at the other end; but if he has in a single off-season, really hope he doesn't get tested for PEDs.

Fully expect him to be there or very close next year with an additional off-season of training; but not expecting it this year.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

Mittelstadts only problem was conditioning and he’s had a full off season. Y’all are way too hard on the kid who played with trash all year and was obviously sucking wind. 

Hope he finds a Risto trade. Glad to hear hes putting vets in the hot seat. 

He had more problems than that, including a propensity for his only regular even strength offensive play to be peeling off the boards and then losing the puck in no man's land between the circles and the point men

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

He had more problems than that, including a propensity for his only regular even strength offensive play to be peeling off the boards and then losing the puck in no man's land between the circles and the point men

There was a wonderful in-depth piece in the Athletic a year ago that described the core of Mittelstadt’s game as his ability to successfully take the puck toward the net through traffic in ways other players could not.

https://theathletic.com/486383/2018/08/24/the-gifted-sabres-super-prospect-casey-mittelstadt-a-playmaker-in-the-truest-sense/

It was almost like last year was one big lesson for him in how hard it is to do that in the NHL.

What he learned and how he adjusts is crucial to the future of the Sabres.

(By the way, the videos in that piece showcase a disgustingly talented hockey player. It was nice to be reminded as to why we were so high on this guy a year ago,)

• Like (+1) 3

Cant wait til offseason is over and offseason know it all prognosticators can take a seat.  Cant stand all those who blaspheme our Lord and Savior as he learns the NHL ropes.  Kid has a lot of talent and yeh he needs to take next step... you impatient ones need to step away from the Darkside... no offense D4rk.... its the dead of summer and itll be two months before the team starts to take shape.  

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.