Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

42 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Unless he shows massive all around improvement in camp, Mitts needs to start the season in Roch.     He's better off playing top minutes in Roch than 3rd line minutes in BUF.

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Why?

I might agree if he was forced to the 4th line, but the 3rd ideally is a scoring line filled with young up and comers that.  Think Vanek/Roy

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

After listening to the interview, I’m not sure Botterill is counting on Mittelstadt to take a big step, as much as he is challenging him to take a big step. The subject of 2C never came up,

The context was about bringing in players not only for competition, but for support - creating situations that will make it easier for players to succeed if they are willing to take advantage.

I'm perfectly happy at the idea of Mitts doing that, as anyone else is. But I need that move to give him something to hurdle over. Doing what we did last year, while bettering his linemates but probably making his situational usage a bit tougher, doesn't do it for me, because if Mitts' play doesn't jump an obscene amount, it does what happens last year - essentially guarantees that we can't keep up with wild card teams over a several month stretch, having to trot out a struggling young player that doesn't produce much and can't handle anything else against the beastly second lines in our conference night in and night out. 

Hopefully your reading on Botts (I didn't hear the interview) is correct, and he is still trying to make something else happen. 

1 hour ago, Derrico said:

I didn't hear the interview but challenging Mitts to take a big step this season does not equal him being cool with Mitts as 2C.  No matter where he is lined up Mitts is being counted on as a big part of the future and he NEEDS to step up.  I think the best opportunity for that is bringing in a 2C and allowing him to develop on the third line with less pressure.  I still think a decent trade is coming but as others have mentioned it won't surprise me if it comes in September.

A fully functional team should never NEED Casey Mittelstadt to step up, much less into the role that sees Auston Matthews, Trocheck, Malkin, Stamkos, Kuznetsov etc. every night. It should always be a luxury when something like that (prospect blossoming) happens. 

This isn't a counter to what you said, merely tacking some of my thoughts onto it.

Edited by Randall Flagg

Also, I thought at the time that Mitts would have ideally spent a lot of time in Rochester last season. Nothing about his NCAA season the year before suggested that he should have been given the entire season, and nothing about his play in the NHL told me that he was just fine where he was. The poor guy struggled mightily from game one to game 82. 

5 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Also, I thought at the time that Mitts would have ideally spent a lot of time in Rochester last season. Nothing about his NCAA season the year before suggested that he should have been given the entire season, and nothing about his play in the NHL told me that he was just fine where he was. The poor guy struggled mightily from game one to game 82. 

True, but in the beginning of the season I did like his defense from time to time.   But he still remains a 3C they will look to use as 2C.

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Both Mittlestadt and Thompson should've spent the majority of the season in Roch.... IMO they would've developed better down there.

They fact they both stayed up in BUF flies in the face of what JBOT has been preaching about development and having a strong farm club.      Those two showed really good chemistry in dev camp and the prospects tournament.   Why not let them grow together and build confidence while ironing out their game in Roch?   

I don't get the reasoning there.    And the excuse that there wasn't anybody else to take those spots is pure bunk.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Both Mittlestadt and Thompson should've spent the majority of the season in Roch.... IMO they would've developed better down there.

They fact they both stayed up in BUF flies in the face of what JBOT has been preaching about development and having a strong farm club.      Those two showed really good chemistry in dev camp and the prospects tournament.   Why not let them grow together and build confidence while ironing out their game in Roch?   

I don't get the reasoning there.    And the excuse that there wasn't anybody else to take those spots is pure bunk.  

I think it was Botterill trying to save face after the horrible trade of he who won't be named. The trade was and still is garbage but it would have looked even worse if Thompson (the only potentially prime piece in the return) and Mittelstadt (the supposed plan B and long term plan A for 2nd line center) were playing in Rochester. Especially since Berglund (likely the temporary plan A for 2nd line center) was only good enough to earn spot centering the 4th line before he quit and Sobotka (valuable depth!) played poorly enough that he should have been watching from the press box or shot directly into the sun.

Edited by Drunkard

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

After listening to the interview, I’m not sure Botterill is counting on Mittelstadt to take a big step, as much as he is challenging him to take a big step. The subject of 2C never came up,

The context was about bringing in players not only for competition, but for support - creating situations that will make it easier for players to succeed if they are willing to take advantage.

I listened again to Jbot’s comment on Mitts.  He said “We are looking for Casey Mittlestadt to take a jump this year.” “Whether’s it’s Sam Reinhart, Marcus Johansson, Jimmy Vesey we know we are going to put good wingers with him giving him a better opportunity for success.”

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I listened again to Jbot’s comment on Mitts.  He said “We are looking for Casey Mittlestadt to take a jump this year.” “Whether’s it’s Sam Reinhart, Marcus Johansson, Jimmy Vesey we know we are going to put good wingers with him giving him a better opportunity for success.”

Lord have mercy, I hope he's not actually thinking Mitts will elevate to a 2C and that will put the team in to a playoff slot. Because if that's it, if that's the plan, fire Botterill immediately imo.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Scottysabres said:

Lord have mercy, I hope he's not actually thinking Mitts will elevate to a 2C and that will put the team in to a playoff slot. Because if that's it, if that's the plan, fire Botterill immediately imo.

The thought of Jimmy "top 6" Vesey being the one the help elevate the green young Mittelstadt into a top 6 center in 2019-2020 is certainly puke inducing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Drunkard said:

The thought of Jimmy "top 6" Vesey being the one the help elevate the green young Mittelstadt into a top 6 center in 2019-2020 is certainly puke inducing.

My big ? mark is who in the hell is playing on which wing this coming season. We have a ton of left handed shot wingers. And I mean a ton. Olofsson is almost sure to make the roster, is it going to be LW or RW? Is Johansson playing 2C, and if so, why the 4 NHL Caliber RHD's? Then there are the reports intermittent but continuous through the off season that Buffalo is still engaged with the Gardiner camp and may actually be the handshake deal team. How does that play out on the LHD front?

All that near ready forward and D depth combined with all those UFA at end of season to be's, 6 forward and 4 D men by my capfriendly count. Not to mention Reinhart, Mittelstadt and Montour's pending RFA status for next off season. Then try and plot all of that with the incoming expansion draft...………………...

Something's amiss here. There are just so many moving parts and possibilities, I literally cannot subscribe to the possibility that Pegula and Botterill are prepared to write off yet another season to wait for the young guns to finally be ready while at the same time finishing the D rebuild. Somethings got to give, no?

It is with all this that I truly believe a couple of moves are coming, one major, most likely including Risto, but most likely a package deal. Just my hunch is all, but like I said, there is just way to many moving parts.

1) Anyone that thinks they aren’t trying to improve the roster isn’t paying close enough attention 

2) Thst said, none of us want another ROR trade were they just take the best offer 

3) This is new territory for the NHL. RFA’s want short term, big money deals and they are not only holding up the process this year, they have GM’s re-evaluating their future contracts.

4) Mitch Marner deciding between an offer sheet and Toronto will likely send the market spinning.

5) JBOT isn’t going to go on radio and say OMG We are screwed if we have to go with Mitts.

6) While I think they will make one or two moves before the season, they do not have to. They have the flexibility to be cap compliant without using LTIR.

7) Since I’m feeling a little Wookie today, how about

A) Winnipeg gets Risto and a MTL prospect plus a MTL first.

B) Montreal gets Laine

C) Buffalo gets Domi

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, tom webster said:

1) Anyone that thinks they aren’t trying to improve the roster isn’t paying close enough attention 

2) Thst said, none of us want another ROR trade were they just take the best offer 

3) This is new territory for the NHL. RFA’s want short term, big money deals and they are not only holding up the process this year, they have GM’s re-evaluating their future contracts.

4) Mitch Marner deciding between an offer sheet and Toronto will likely send the market spinning.

5) JBOT isn’t going to go on radio and say OMG We are screwed if we have to go with Mitts.

6) While I think they will make one or two moves before the season, they do not have to. They have the flexibility to be cap compliant without using LTIR.

B) Montreal gets Laine

C) Buffalo gets Domi

You've been my beacon of hope for next season's roster!

also that trade is awesome and I would give a fair bit more than that to make it happen

7 minutes ago, tom webster said:

B) Montreal gets Laine

C) Buffalo gets Domi

Love me some Domi.

Unfortunately, I can't see Montreal doing this, since they love them some Domi as well I'd wager.

2 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

My big ? mark is who in the hell is playing on which wing this coming season. We have a ton of left handed shot wingers. And I mean a ton. Olofsson is almost sure to make the roster, is it going to be LW or RW? Is Johansson playing 2C, and if so, why the 4 NHL Caliber RHD's? Then there are the reports intermittent but continuous through the off season that Buffalo is still engaged with the Gardiner camp and may actually be the handshake deal team. How does that play out on the LHD front?

All that near ready forward and D depth combined with all those UFA at end of season to be's, 6 forward and 4 D men by my capfriendly count. Not to mention Reinhart, Mittelstadt and Montour's pending RFA status for next off season. Then try and plot all of that with the incoming expansion draft...………………...

Something's amiss here. There are just so many moving parts and possibilities, I literally cannot subscribe to the possibility that Pegula and Botterill are prepared to write off yet another season to wait for the young guns to finally be ready while at the same time finishing the D rebuild. Somethings got to give, no?

It is with all this that I truly believe a couple of moves are coming, one major, most likely including Risto, but most likely a package deal. Just my hunch is all, but like I said, there is just way to many moving parts.

I expect a trade or two before the season starts. Exceeding the cap isn't the issue since we can easily be compliant with a few paper transactions or sending actual bodies down to Rochester before the opening roster deadline but I don't think they can just send everyone down to Rochester without stunting the growth of the actual prospects they want to develop down there.

I think Olofsson stays at LW so it really depends on who they make 2C. If they stick Mittelstadt there I hope Olofsson plays with Eichel and Skinner drops to line 2 because I have no interest in seeing 2 guys who are that green playing together. If they make Johansson the 2C they will probably keep Skinner with Eichel and put Olofsson on line 2.

I have no clue on the defense but I'd prefer they keep Ristolainen just to see if Kreuger is smarter than our previous 3 or 4 coaches who just threw him in the deep end and left him there. His usage and playing time would be the first test on whether the new coach has got his head screwed on straight.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, ... said:

I wonder how that insulin pump is protected during games?  I mean, since Domi was brought up - always been curious about that.

http://www.personalhealthnews.ca/patient-perspective/max-domis-success-depends-on-accuracy

is it a pump during games? Or just monitoring during games? 

This article says no pump ... https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/stu-cowan-canadiens-max-domi-inspired-by-fellow-diabetic-bobby-clarke

Edited by Zamboni
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

That's pretty cool.  He stopped using a pump completely years ago.  That's the first article I read that mentioned that.  Not that I've read a lot on Domi, but, you know.  

52 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

My big ? mark is who in the hell is playing on which wing this coming season. We have a ton of left handed shot wingers.

The line on the Instigators today was that Botterill wants forwards who play multiple positions.

Girgensons, Sheary Johansson and (shudder) Sobotka were specifically mentioned. Vesey has also apparently played his share of RW.

It was implied that the 12 best forwards will start and explicitly said that Ralph will figure out where the pieces best fit.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dudacek said:

The line on the Instigators today was that Botterill wants forwards who play multiple positions.

Girgensons, Sheary Johansson and (shudder) Sobotka were specifically mentioned. Vesey has also apparently played his share of RW.

It was implied that the 12 best forwards will start and explicitly said that Ralph will figure out where the pieces best fit.

Botterill is assembling an NHL team like I assemble a fantasy team. Give me all the guys with "C, LW, RW" next to their names!

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, darksabre said:

Botterill is assembling an NHL team like I assemble a fantasy team. Give me all the guys with "C, LW, RW" next to their names!

LOL. I do the same thing!

Joe freaking Pavelski all the way!

Edited by dudacek
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I to, am shuddering...…..

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

Please tell me you won your league...…..repeatedly...…..

I need my Linus blanky if you didn't....:)

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.