Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

45 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

I see 1 & 2 both unlikely, unless other pieces are moved.  Leaving #3 as most likely.   My question is do the Sabres feel if push comes to shove, your 4th scenario plays out.  It's unlikely he can collect a $3M salary in a European league, so is he content to play it out in the AHL?  Or is the quality of life and a lower salary  make #4 more enticing.  In other words, an educated guess that Sobotka might walk could pay off for getting him off your roster, with zero long term cap implications. 

Completely uneducated guess - Sobotka would wind up an AHLer rather than becoming a KHLer.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

48 Hours after the final arbitration case is settled which is McCabe this Sunday. So figure Tuesday to Thursday of next week possibly. 

"The second is a window related to arbitration, and it carries some extra restrictions. For this window to open, the team has to have a player that filed for arbitration. This window opens on the third day after the team's last arbitration is concluded (or settled, if it doesn't make it to a hearing) and is open for 48 hours."

https://www.silversevensens.com/2015/6/10/8737195/nhl-buyout-rules-refresher-guide

So, seems like the window would start Wednesday, and include the full 48 hours of Wed-Thurs. 

19 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Completely uneducated guess - Sobotka would wind up an AHLer rather than becoming a KHLer.

This was my assumption as well, which is why I think the buyout is a better option.   Two million this year (or $1.1m more than waivers) is better than having all $3.5M next year.   With all the other contracts  coming off the books (Hunwick, Scandella, Bogo, Sheary) coupled with an extremely weak UFA market, I'd rather free up as much space this year and take the extra $1m next.  Plus its sending a message to those who are perceived as just cashing a check.   If I am the owner, and I can save $1M knowing this guy will not help our team this year, I buyout 7 days a week.  Keeping him is a gamble I would not take.  Bigger upside, but probability is lower. 

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

If it's Tampa, it's Point or nothing from my vantage point in any event.

I feel pretty confident that Tampa is not doing that.  If those are the options, I think it would be nothing.

Personally, I would be fine if the main pieces were Risto and Cirelli, but I don’t think that makes any sense for Tampa either.

41 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

This was my assumption as well, which is why I think the buyout is a better option.   Two million this year (or $1.1m more than waivers) is better than having all $3.5M next year.   With all the other contracts  coming off the books (Hunwick, Scandella, Bogo, Sheary) coupled with an extremely weak UFA market, I'd rather free up as much space this year and take the extra $1m next.  Plus its sending a message to those who are perceived as just cashing a check.   If I am the owner, and I can save $1M knowing this guy will not help our team this year, I buyout 7 days a week.  Keeping him is a gamble I would not take.  Bigger upside, but probability is lower. 

Disagree.  Would rather have the full $3.5MM off the books next year when Reinhart & Montour will be due big paydays.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, WildCard said:

We'll probably be paying Dahlin next year as well

Well, that'll be his 3rd year of the entry deals.  But do expect that he'll get an extension that summer.  No need to wait until the following year when other teams could f w/ 'em via offer sheets.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Disagree.  Would rather have the full $3.5MM off the books next year when Reinhart & Montour will be due big paydays.

We have $33.4M coming off next year.  Reinhart might be $8m, and Montour $5-6m?  What's $1M  going to help next year when there are no UFA's worthy of chasing? 

image.thumb.png.6f79a22704e1179a4cec5b3fcd1f45ee.png

3 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

We have $33.4M coming off next year.  Reinhart might be $8m, and Montour $5-6m?  What's $1M  going to help next year when there are no UFA's worthy of chasing? 

I’m thinking a couple buyouts to maximize the cap space available this year is what will help us in a Risto trade acquire the best return, considering all the teams he’s rumored to have cap problems they have no easy ways to fix. 

But Im a little confused because Tampa has NTC on anyone they would trade that costs cap other than Point. And he’s hard to believe they’d part with. 

Winnipeg at least has a few options to shed cap to make space for their youth.  A few 3C options at least there.

Edited by triumph_communes

Just now, Broken Ankles said:

Gotta re-up Cirelli. ?

(And, more seriously, Rodrigues, Mittelstadt, Thompson, Olofsson and Pilut, and maybe McCabe and Ullmark; And re-sign or replace Vesey, Larsson, Girgensons, Bogosian, Scandella, Sheary, Wilson and  Nelson)

I think Cirelli would be a good acquisition as a 2C moving to a 3C if Mitts takes a big step. They would have to add a little something to the deal for Risto.

However, Cirelli doesn't help Tampa's cap situation. Trading Point would help them but he is worth more than just Risto and they can't take on more $$.

21 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

If they REALLY need the extra ~$1.5MM in cap space that buying out Sobotka brings them this year, they can trade Scandella for a draft pick.  That frees up $4MM.

And just because the Sabres CAN walk away from over $30MM in salary next year, they won't.  One (or slight possibility of both) of Vesey & Sheary will likely be back.  Rodrigues will likely be back.  Until their replacement is in place will assume both Girgensons & Larsson are back. 

You also don't know what sort of trades might be made next off-season which might create a reason to save that cap space.

Nor is this team likely to be a SC contender this year.  There's an outside shot they could be there next year though.  That extra ~$1MM in cap space that year might be the edge needed to bring in a $4MM player at the trade deadline to help with the playoff run.

Realizing they're tight on the cap this season, really don't see where that's preventing a move at present.  Heck, they could run with only 22 players on the roster (2 guys in the press box rather than 3) to save almost as much as they'd save by buying out Sobotka with no repercussions towards next year.

Just now, Let's Go B-Lo said:

They are tight on the cap but they will also be over the contract limit shortly so moves have to be made

They aren't going to be over 50 contracts.  They have more than 23 NHL caliber players in the system.  Obviously more moves are going to be made.  Buying out Sobotka does not need to be one of them.

• Like (+1) 1

Botterill’s plan is getting easier to read:

Between now and the start of next season Thompson, Jokiharju, Pilut Olofsson and Asplund are lined up to replace Vesey, Bogosian, Scandella, Girgensons and Larsson.

Edited by dudacek

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Between now and the start of next season Thompson, Jokiharju, Pilut Olofsson and Asplund are lined up to replace Vesey, Bogosian, Scandella, Girgensons and Larsson.

Vesey is an interesting case. If he succeeds here to a significant degree, he likely prices himself out of our range as a UFA. If he doesn't earn himself a nice raise, interest would probably be pretty low on our end. Botterill knows all that obviously, so the 1-year-then-replaced scenario does seem a likely one. 

I still think as it stands he might get the first crack at being Eichel's RW. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Good observation.  Precisely why I think JBOT's job is safe next year regardless of the record this year.

15 hours ago, Tondas said:

Good observation.  Precisely why I think JBOT's job is safe next year regardless of the record this year.

If the players are there, Botterill doesn't have to be.

At some point Botterill has to prove that he can construct an NHL roster. If the Sabres don't make progress this season, they should try to bring in someone who can better maximize the team's assets.

7 minutes ago, jad1 said:

If the players are there, Botterill doesn't have to be.

At some point Botterill has to prove that he can construct an NHL roster. If the Sabres don't make progress this season, they should try to bring in someone who can better maximize the team's assets.

This season for JBOT is like last season for the Bills.  They will try to be competitive and show progress, but the following year is when many of the albatross contracts come off the books.  I think Pegula likes the direction of the Bills and sees the Sabres on the same course.  I have been a critic of Pegula but I can't disagree with this approach.  I think it would have to be an epic collapse (bottom 3 in the league) for Pegula to fire JBOT and start over with a new GM and coach.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Tondas said:

This season for JBOT is like last season for the Bills.  They will try to be competitive and show progress, but the following year is when many of the albatross contracts come off the books.  I think Pegula likes the direction of the Bills and sees the Sabres on the same course.  I have been a critic of Pegula but I can't disagree with this approach.  I think it would have to be an epic collapse (bottom 3 in the league) for Pegula to fire JBOT and start over with a new GM and coach.

The Sabres don't crack 80 points this year, he's gone.  No NHL GM should survive three consecutive sub-80 point seasons.

That said, I expect Botterill to make a couple of deals over the next month to make the Sabres more competitive this year.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, jad1 said:

The Sabres don't crack 80 points this year, he's gone.  No NHL GM should survive three consecutive sub-80 point seasons.

That said, I expect Botterill to make a couple of deals over the next month to make the Sabres more competitive this year.

I'd surmise if they don't make the playoffs, he is gone. Hell, Murray got less time. Pegula's I am sure after 8 years are very short on patience just to make the playoffs. Just a suspicion.

7 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I'd surmise if they don't make the playoffs, he is gone. Hell, Murray got less time. Pegula's I am sure after 8 years are very short on patience just to make the playoffs. Just a suspicion.

Nothing about Botterill's tenure, and the way the Bills have operated under McBeane, suggest the Pegula's are short on patience

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.