Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

Would they wait until training camp to move Sobotka like that?  If this is the plan I wish it'd already be done.

I don’t believe you can send a player down to the AHL in the middle of the summer.  There is no true distinction between the AHL and NHL rosters at the moment.

5 minutes ago, Curt said:

I don’t believe you can send a player down to the AHL in the middle of the summer.  There is no true distinction between the AHL and NHL rosters at the moment.

Yup.  Pretty much everybody on an NHL contract (and a few guys like Redmond on AHL deals & some guys likely staying in junior / overseas) will show up when training camp opens. 

They'll split a bunch out to the Amerks &/or send people back to their primary team a week or so after camp opens.

But, yep, there is absolutely no benefit gained by sending a guy on a NHL 1 or 2 way deal down to the AHL before sending that 1st large batch down.

29 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yup.  Pretty much everybody on an NHL contract (and a few guys like Redmond on AHL deals & some guys likely staying in junior / overseas) will show up when training camp opens. 

They'll split a bunch out to the Amerks &/or send people back to their primary team a week or so after camp opens.

But, yep, there is absolutely no benefit gained by sending a guy on a NHL 1 or 2 way deal down to the AHL before sending that 1st large batch down.

I could be wrong but there is no "waivers" until camp opens.

41 minutes ago, Curt said:

Well, you can tell him what’s going to happen once the season starts. This is probably the fairest thing for both sides, so Sabotka can start making plans now. Then why wait around and just make the jump now?

11 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Well, you can tell him what’s going to happen once the season starts. This is probably the fairest thing for both sides, so Sabotka can start making plans now. Then why wait around and just make the jump now?

Yeah, they could tell him that if they were 100% sure that’s what they were going to do.  

For all we know, they could have told him that already. He could be looking at KHL options already.  Or perhaps Sobotka wants to make sure he actually passes through waivers before he bails.  We don’t know diddly squat.

Tampa now at 75.9 mil, Point and Erne still to sign yet and their RHD situation is woefully lacking.

Moving Cerilli while on his ELC due his first true contract next season doesn't help them at all. Combined with all those NTC's, somethings got to give in Tampa imo.

Edited by Scottysabres

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

I could be wrong but there is no "waivers" until camp opens.

The Regular Season Waiver Period opens 12 days prior to the beginning of the regular season and ends the day after an NHL ream has played its last game of that league year.

16 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The Regular Season Waiver Period opens 12 days prior to the beginning of the regular season and ends the day after an NHL ream has played its last game of that league year.

@Taro T - Question: If we believe JBot has no intention to buyout Sobotka's contract, is this a game of chicken whereby a player could be waived, and we assume unlikely picked up by any other team, and instead of reporting to Rochester and playing out his contract for $3.0m ($3.5M cap), he decides to play elsewhere?  Thereby saving the team the $3M and the full cap hit?  With a downside of having him report, and saving about $900K on the cap but paying the full $3M.  

24 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

@Taro T - Question: If we believe JBot has no intention to buyout Sobotka's contract, is this a game of chicken whereby a player could be waived, and we assume unlikely picked up by any other team, and instead of reporting to Rochester and playing out his contract for $3.0m ($3.5M cap), he decides to play elsewhere?  Thereby saving the team the $3M and the full cap hit?  With a downside of having him report, and saving about $900K on the cap but paying the full $3M.  

Not sure about your question.

GA's desires not withstanding, really doubt Sobotka gets bought out.  (Don't see a solid reason to extend his cap hit out to 2 years from the current 1 year, as Pegula has repeatedly said winning is his primary concern.)

With that being the case, there are 4 reasonable scenarios for how Sobotka slots in.  (Trading him isn't realistic as he'd either bring in a failed player or Botterill would have to give up a pick to get somebody to take him.  If Botterill wanted him gone that badly, he would've heeded GA's advice.)

1. Under new HC, he gets look at a lower 6 role and does well enough to keep it.

2.  He gets that look, but can't keep the role and gets slotted as 13th F.

3.  He gets that look but ends up ~15th F and is Ra-cha-cha bound.

4.  The 3rd scenario plays out but he refuses to drive 70 minutes down the road.

Were it not for him having arrived in the same package Berglund came in, really doubt scenario 4 would be getting much traction.  Hoping for scenario 3 (or better yet 4), but would guess he'll land in scenario 2.

Having watched him last year, can't see scenario 1 happening.  Will definitely cause Kreuger to be viewed with a jaundiced eye should that occur.

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Is everyone convinced Cirelli is Brayden Point? Serious question.

Point had 106 points in 150 NHL games at 22. Cirelli has 50 in 100 games at 22.

Neither had played in the NHL at Casey’s age.

He's not Point. Somebody else can correct me if I'm wrong but after reading his description and looking at his career he seems to be more of a 2 way center than anything; ~60 points next year with 2 way play if he's given a 2c role

3 minutes ago, WildCard said:

He's not Point. Somebody else can correct me if I'm wrong but after reading his description and looking at his career he seems to be more of a 2 way center than anything; ~60 points next year with 2 way play if he's given a 2c role

Not saying that Cirelli is Point, but Point is also generally regarded as a very good defensive center.  Just throwing that out there lest Point be viewed as a one way guy vs Cirelli the 2 way guy.

Just now, Curt said:

Not saying that Cirelli is Point, but Point is also generally regarded as a very good defensive center.  Just throwing that out there lest Point be viewed as a one way guy vs Cirelli the 2 way guy.

Fair enough

9 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

If we're buying out Sobotka, don't we only have a couple weeks to do so?  If we are taking on cap and buying one or a couple of these one-year contracts just to make this season work, then that'd necessitate the 'big Risto' trade occurring in that timeframe?

I'm not sure it's a couple weeks, more like a couple days for a second buyout window.  At any rate, I have to believe that JBOT will do something and it's already lined up.  Once the RFA stuff is done, we will see the final plan.  I hope!

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Is everyone convinced Cirelli is Brayden Point? Serious question.

Point had 106 points in 150 NHL games at 22. Cirelli has 50 in 100 games at 22.

Neither had played in the NHL at Casey’s age.

I don't know honestly, but I watched quite a bit of Tampa this past season as I have eluded to in other posts. One of a very few teams I got to watch more than just the games with the Sabres. In any event, Point was just so versatile. I mean, the guy was bouncing between RW and C with no problem, he just looked so dam good. Of course, Cerilli wasn't playing with the talent Point was on those top lines, and that is a fair subject to key in on I would imagine.

In the end, Cerilli looked decent as well, is on the last year of his ELC, and even if Point accepts a 2 yr bridge deal, it should be abundantly clear the Tampa defense definitely cost them a couple of those CBJ series games. It wasn't just the forwards, that defense caved, especially in the first and third games imo.

With that being said, that RHD position is extremely weak for Tampa. They have Hedman and McDonough on the left locked up long term, they need at least 1 RHD minute eater that can rock the points while needing a bit of help in coverage, but is on a reasonable contract. Hence why I believe Risto and Tampa were meant for one another. But if I were Botterill, it's Point or nothing, from them. The reasoning is simplistic, their a division foe, already stacked offensively in the forward ranks, have the components on the left side of the D to drive game play and an addition like Risto would make an already formidable division/playoff run foe even more dangerous than they already are.

My only concern on Point was his playoff performance, but, the entire Tampa forwards regiment didn't fair well in that series. With their defensive constantly getting bottled up and their forwards forced to the perimeter, I give CBJ a lot of credit, they smothered non puck possession D on Tampa like Bears on honey. Maybe Tampa views Risto as a part of the big body solution to that, who knows really, but, they definitely have interest, as well they should given that poor performance.

If it's Tampa, it's Point or nothing from my vantage point in any event.

Edited by Scottysabres

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Not sure about your question.

GA's desires not withstanding, really doubt Sobotka gets bought out.  (Don't see a solid reason to extend his cap hit out to 2 years from the current 1 year, as Pegula has repeatedly said winning is his primary concern.)

With that being the case, there are 4 reasonable scenarios for how Sobotka slots in.  (Trading him isn't realistic as he'd either bring in a failed player or Botterill would have to give up a pick to get somebody to take him.  If Botterill wanted him gone that badly, he would've heeded GA's advice.)

1. Under new HC, he gets look at a lower 6 role and does well enough to keep it.

2.  He gets that look, but can't keep the role and gets slotted as 13th F.

3.  He gets that look but ends up ~15th F and is Ra-cha-cha bound.

4.  The 3rd scenario plays out but he refuses to drive 70 minutes down the road.

Were it not for him having arrived in the same package Berglund came in, really doubt scenario 4 would be getting much traction.  Hoping for scenario 3 (or better yet 4), but would guess he'll land in scenario 2.

Having watched him last year, can't see scenario 1 happening.  Will definitely cause Kreuger to be viewed with a jaundiced eye should that occur.

I see 1 & 2 both unlikely, unless other pieces are moved.  Leaving #3 as most likely.   My question is do the Sabres feel if push comes to shove, your 4th scenario plays out.  It's unlikely he can collect a $3M salary in a European league, so is he content to play it out in the AHL?  Or is the quality of life and a lower salary  make #4 more enticing.  In other words, an educated guess that Sobotka might walk could pay off for getting him off your roster, with zero long term cap implications. 

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

If we're buying out Sobotka, don't we only have a couple weeks to do so?  If we are taking on cap and buying one or a couple of these one-year contracts just to make this season work, then that'd necessitate the 'big Risto' trade occurring in that timeframe?

48 Hours after the final arbitration case is settled which is McCabe this Sunday. So figure Tuesday to Thursday of next week possibly. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.