Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

8 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Risto to Jets

Ehlers to Vegas

Stastny to Sabres

May have to throw in a pick(to Vegas?)

If Vegas trades Stastny, then THEY have no 2C.  They are trying to win a cup.  They don’t want to enter the season with a ? at 2C.  That my thinking at least.

• Thanks (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

The problem you have this is Botterill has already made the moves on the RHD position to replace Risto.

When you combine that with the post July 1st reports of Buffalo pursuing Gardiner and it becomes a bit obvious that Botterill and staff have A.) Identified the defense as a major issue, and B.) commenced a rebuild on said defense in an effort to correct the situation.

This is more than just "roster surgery", imo. This is an all out major organ transplant surgery.

Oh agreed something has to give, the question is when... and how... is it Risto or some of the dead weight?  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

The problem you have this is Botterill has already made the moves on the RHD position to replace Risto.

What moves? Are you referring to trading for a defensemen who was demoted to a 5/6 pairing or a defensemen who spent the later half of last season in the AHL? If we were looking to replace a 5/6 guy, I would agree. But we’re trying to replace a defensemen who ate up the most minutes (for better or worse) last year. Plus, we have 2 defensemen who will be starting on IR at the start of the season. 

7 minutes ago, kas23 said:

What moves? Are you referring to trading for a defensemen who was demoted to a 5/6 pairing or a defensemen who spent the later half of last season in the AHL? If we were looking to replace a 5/6 guy, I would agree. But we’re trying to replace a defensemen who ate up the most minutes (for better or worse) last year. Plus, we have 2 defensemen who will be starting on IR at the start of the season. 

Montour and Miller weren't brought in as depth players. I can confidently deduce they'll be on the right side on D come seasons start.

True Bogo may be on IR for a portion of October, but Pilut has no bearing on the right side, and with the reports of Botterill's interest in Gardiner, as I've opined before, it's more than a bit obvious Botterill is rebuilding both sides of the D.

Risto is the most likely odd man out on the right side.

19 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Montour and Miller weren't brought in as depth players. I can confidently deduce they'll be on the right side on D come seasons start.

True Bogo may be on IR for a portion of October, but Pilut has no bearing on the right side, and with the reports of Botterill's interest in Gardiner, as I've opined before, it's more than a bit obvious Botterill is rebuilding both sides of the D.

Risto is the most likely odd man out on the right side.

I agree with Montour. But whether we get the Miller of last year vs 2-3 years ago remains to be seen. 

26 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I agree with Montour. But whether we get the Miller of last year vs 2-3 years ago remains to be seen. 

Was Miller really a lot worse than in previous seasons?  What did he do worse?  I didn’t really watch him at all.

His TOI and offensive production was in line with the previous season.

Edited by Curt

3 hours ago, Curt said:

If Vegas trades Stastny, then THEY have no 2C.  They are trying to win a cup.  They don’t want to enter the season with a ? at 2C.  That my thinking at least.

I saw that too, after the fact. That could be why Botts hasn't found that 2C yet, most teams are in that same situation. I went through the teams rosters and there really isn't much out there that's worth paying anything for. Some have also moved already (JT Miller, Anisimov, etc). We might just have to hope Mitts steps up.

We brought over Routsalainin (sp?)....anyone know if there's any players in Europe worthwhile to take a chance on? Not named Derek Roy.

Edited by MakeSabresGrr8Again

5 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I saw that too, after the fact. That could be why Botts hasn't found that 2C yet, most teams are in that same situation. I went through the teams rosters and there really isn't much out there that's worth paying anything for. Some have also moved already (JT Miller, Anisimov, etc). We might just have to hope Mitts steps up.

Yup big if ???, 2C by committee... Mitts, Johannson, possibly Sam.. and Erod as an emergency...

Edited by North Buffalo

Assuming Bogo is going to be ready to play around the beginning of the season, what are the chances that either he or Scandella is flipped for some centre depth to a team that needs some blueline depth?

Im thinking veteran stopgap moves, like Perreault or Bonino.

Separately, if JBot is unable to flip Risto for a bigger fish, I still think the most likely move is that Kyle Turris will be a Sabre.

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Assuming Bogo is going to be ready to play around the beginning of the season, what are the chances that either he or Scandella is flipped for some centre depth to a team that needs some blueline depth?

Separately, if JBot is unable to flip Risto for a bigger fish, I still think the most likely move is that Kyle Turris will be a Sabre.

I continue to dislike you. 

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Turris has a terrible contract. I don’t want him unless a lot of salary is retained 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

You see it too, eh? 

I just find it hard to believe that after last year's disastrous forward performance that anyone could add Johansson and Vesey and call it a day. Turris is as likely as anyone to be that third addition due to (likely) cheap availability. 

3 minutes ago, freester said:

Turris has a terrible contract. I don’t want him unless a lot of salary is retained 

It’s risky for sure given his numbers last year, but it is reasonable for an average 2C. 

It will be interesting to see over the next few years if he trends after Derrick Brassard or Paul Stastny.

Botts got a good look at him this spring at the Worlds.

12 minutes ago, freester said:

Even with retention Turris' contract is too long. They're out from under Bogo and Scandella after this coming season. 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

It’s risky for sure given his numbers last year, but it is reasonable for an average 2C. 

It will be interesting to see over the next few years if he trends after Derrick Brassard or Paul Stastny.

Botts got a good look at him this spring at the Worlds.

Turris is going to be 30 already.  $6M per for his ages 30-34 seasons?  5 more years?  After he just had a terrible season?  I don’t like it at all.  He doesn’t fit as a veteran short term stop gap, or as a long term roster piece.  I just don’t think he fits.

• Like (+1) 4

15 minutes ago, Curt said:

Turris is going to be 30 already.  $6M per for his ages 30-34 seasons?  5 more years?  After he just had a terrible season?  I don’t like it at all.  He doesn’t fit as a veteran short term stop gap, or as a long term roster piece.  I just don’t think he fits.

I can't say I'd be enthusiastic, but if you get get 50% retention, then Turris at $3M makes a lot more sense. 

34 minutes ago, Curt said:

Agreed. I'd rather the "center by committee" concept referenced earlier. Find a better winger to partner with Sam and cycle ERod, Mitts and whomever in the 2C spot.  Just wait until the right trade develops.

1 hour ago, ... said:

Agreed. I'd rather the "center by committee" concept referenced earlier. Find a better winger to partner with Sam and cycle ERod, Mitts and whomever in the 2C spot.  Just wait until the right trade develops.

Are you willing to wait until December with Sam/Casey/MJ as the second line and Sheary/ERod/Vesey as line 3?

Edited by dudacek

And to be clear, I’m not advocating for Turris at all.

I do think that of the players that might be available cheap, he is the one who might help us the most right now.

Which says more about the difficulty facing Jason than it does about anything else.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.