Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

I want quality over quantity. Roslovic wasn’t any better than Mitts last year and I’m not familiar with Perrault. 

Actually, I now am. If we’re going to acquire a LW, make sure he’s an excellent one. Ehlers is and Perrault is not. 

Edited by kas23
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, DHawerchuk10 said:

You are not getting Risto for Perreault + 

Jets fans have it ingrained in their minds that the Sabres are easy pickings for trades due to the previous administration. 

Funnily enough, even the “best trade ever” left the Jets with less to show for it than the Sabres ended up with. 

You’ll have to forgive them as they’ve had a very rough summer. 

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Jets fans have it ingrained in their minds that the Sabres are easy pickings for trades due to the previous administration. 

Funnily enough, even the “best trade ever” left the Jets with less to show for it than the Sabres ended up with. 

Yes, Jet fans must really hate Zach Bogosian. Beacause that’s the only way to explain how they still seem to think they won the deal that otherwise netted them a 25-point forward and us a 35-point defenceman.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Yes, Jet fans must really hate Zach Bogosian. Beacause that’s the only way to explain how they still seem to think they won the deal that otherwise netted them a 25-point forward and us a 35-point defenceman.

Who Bogo?  Best season as a Sabres is 24 pts and we've paid him 22 million for 224 played out of a possible 349 or 64%.  Awful for 4.25 seasons.

FYI Stats for the trade

WPG: 755 gp 113g 179a for 292 pts from 5 players 

BUF: 421 gp 80g 100a for 180 pts from 3 players (stats include Kasdorf 1 game in the NHL)

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Who Bogo?  Best season as a Sabres is 24 pts and we've paid him 22 million for 224 played out of a possible 349 or 64%.  Awful for 4.25 seasons.

No, Brandon Montour. That’s who we turned Kane into.

The Jets traded Armia for cap space, Lemieux for a few shifts of Kevin Hayes, Stafford for basically nothing and let Myers go for free.

Kane was the best player in the trade and I would make it again.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

No, Brandon Montour. That’s who we turned Kane into.

The Jets traded Armia for cap space, Lemieux for a few shifts of Kevin Hayes, Stafford for basically and let Myers go for free.

The trade ended up in our favour.

Interesting take.  Roslovic vs. Montour (plus we lost Guhle) and one more season of the oft injured Bogo.  

I'm not sure I agree that the trade ended up in our favor considering how many more game played WPG has received from the players and the absolute waste of 22 million spent on Bogo, but it certainly came out better then it could have.  

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Interesting take.  Roslovic vs. Montour (plus we lost Guhle) and one more season of the oft injured Bogo.  

I'm not sure I agree that the trade ended up in our favor considering how many more game played WPG has received from the players and the absolute waste of 22 million spent on Bogo, but it certainly came out better then it could have.  

It’s about what we are left with now. The trade has amounted to near-zilch for the Jets.  That the players shipped out by us tallied more points in a Jets uniform than the players we got is hardly surprising considering we sent 5 assets out for 2. One of which, didn’t play the first half season we had him due to injury (which, btw, ensured us Eichel). 

Is it stands, we make the trade again. Montour > Roslovic all day. 

For me the fact that it’s even arguable that we outright won the trade is significant in itself, considering the, at the time - and especially now in retrospect - outright comical  “Hall of Fame” status this deal had in Winnipeg. 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Yes, Jet fans must really hate Zach Bogosian. Beacause that’s the only way to explain how they still seem to think they won the deal that otherwise netted them a 25-point forward and us a 35-point defenceman.

WHY are we relitigating that trade?

It was 4.5 years ago and both teams got what they wanted initially.  It was a wash early, the Peg got a bit more use out of their haul than the Sabres did.  And now, the smidge that remains appears to slightly favor the Sabres.  (What portion of Montour gets credited to that trade, 50%, 75%, other?  Is that much of his usefulness more valuable than Roslovic?). Close enough to a wash in hindsight for gubmint work. ?

Don't really want to see it, but if Roslovic were to come back in a package for Ristolainen, that would be interesting & THEN a case could be made for relitigating the Murray trade.

IMHO.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Are you sure it's due to the previous administration and not the current one? 

5 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Are you sure it's due to the previous administration and not the current one? 

Well most are viewing specifically through the prism of their own fandom so would be focusing on Sabres/Jets dealings of the past specifically. As mentioned, the last one was all the rage here in Winnipeg for a time. 

Botterill certainly has more trades appearing to be on the “good” side of the ledger currently with one notable exception, of course. 

Edited by Thorny

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Well most are viewing specifically through the prism of their own fandom so would be focusing on Sabres/Jets dealings of the past specifically. As mentioned, the last one was all the rage here in Winnipeg for a time. 

Botterill certainly has more trades appearing to be on the “good” side of the ledger currently with one notable exception, of course. 

Well, Botterill's good trades involve bringing talent in, not shipping it out. If I were a fan of another team, I'd look at both the ROR and Kane trades and probably think he's ripe for the taking. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It’s about what we are left with now. The trade has amounted to near-zilch for the Jets.  That the players shipped out by us tallied more points in a Jets uniform than the players we got is hardly surprising considering we sent 5 assets out for 2. One of which, didn’t play the first half season we had him due to injury (which, btw, ensured us Eichel). 

Is it stands, we make the trade again. Montour > Roslovic all day. 

For me the fact that it’s even arguable that we outright won the trade is significant in itself, considering the, at the time - and especially now in retrospect - outright comical  “Hall of Fame” status this deal had in Winnipeg. 

This makes me hope that St Louis trades ROR and we still have Sobotka so we can "win" that trade too.

• Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

This makes me hope that St Louis trades ROR and we still have Sobotka so we can "win" that trade too.

ROR is a player I want on my team. 

I don’t want Lemieux, Stafford, or Myers, and don’t really care about Roslovic or Armia. 

If any of those players scratched the surface of ROR they wouldn’t have been traded/lost for nothing, and I don’t expect ROR would be converted by STL into nothingness (again :p) if they did for some reason move him. 

He also already won them a Conn Smythe, so...it’s a little bit different then Myers marginal contribution on a team that’s greatest achievement with him was losing 4 straight to Vegas after Rinne gifted them a round 2 win. 

All bets are off if you trade for a player that is a huge part in a championship. Just like the Raptors won the Kawhi trade. 

At the end of the day I’d rather be sitting here with Montour than whatever contribution Myers made to that franchise and Roslovic.

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Well, Botterill's good trades involve bringing talent in, not shipping it out. If I were a fan of another team, I'd look at both the ROR and Kane trades and probably think he's ripe for the taking. 

I don’t have much of an issue with the return from trading an expiring-contract Kane through the prism of the time it was made, and absolutely have no issue with it currently through the prism of today where we ended up with our best RHD because of it. 

Risto falls into a nice area where the perception from outside (fingers crossed) is that we are moving significant talent along the lines of a ROR when we know that to not be the case. 

Edited by Thorny

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

ROR is a player I want on my team. 

I don’t want Lemieux, Stafford, or Myers, and don’t really care about Roslovic or Armia. 

If any of those players scratched the surface of ROR they wouldn’t have been traded/lost for nothing, and I don’t expect ROR would be converted by STL into nothingness (again :p) if they did for some reason move him. 

He also already won them a Conn Smythe, so...it’s a little bit different then Myers marginal contribution on a team that’s greatest achievement with him was losing 4 straight to Vegas after Rinne gifted them a round 2 win. 

All bets are off if you trade for a player that is a huge part in a championship. Just like the Raptors won the Kawhi trade. 

At the end of the day I’d rather be sitting here with Montour than whatever contribution Myers made to that franchise and Roslovic.

It was just an amusing thought...sorry if I ruffled your feathers.?

Just now, Thorny said:

I don’t have much of an issue with the return from trading of an expiring-contract Kane through the prism of the time it was made, and absolutely have no issue with it currently through the prism of today where we ended up with our best RHD because of it. 

Risto falls into a nice area where the perception from outside (fingers crossed) is that we are moving significant talent along the lines of a ROR when we know that to not be the case. 

Neither do I. Market dictated a crap return. I'm just saying, if I were a fan of another team looking to do business with him, I'd probably use it as a reason to expect to get an asset for cheap. 

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Neither do I. Market dictated a crap return. I'm just saying, if I were a fan of another team looking to do business with him, I'd probably use it as a reason to expect to get an asset for cheap. 

I think that’s perfectly valid through the context of the ROR deal, but even dumb NHL GMs are going to be cognizant of the differences in value of a deadline sell off. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.